• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
Not sure if its my computer or what, but part of the article is getting cut off on the right hand side. Is anyone else noticing this?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
Not sure if its my computer or what, but part of the article is getting cut off on the right hand side. Is anyone else noticing this?

Happens web browser window not wide enough.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
"C" for music? Wow, it is strange. I thought vocal tracks during the fights are awesome and perfectly fit these fast-paced battles.

Also, it's kinda funny that I always stumble upon critics towards violence in various articles here. What's wrong with violence in videogames and anime? Some products are fun only because of ridiculous, over-the-top gore, especially a lot of japanese ones.

The game is awesome, it's far more better than latest DMC in my opinion. Battlea are far more faster, normal mode gives a challenge and higher difficulties give you Hell (no kiddings, in Revengeance every single difficulty level after "Hard" makes your life miserable and humiliates you like a helpless puppy). Boss fights are memorable and the music makes the game even more intense. Oh, and you still can use your codec whenever you want. There are LOTS of dialogues about whole bunch of topics. Oh, and there's 80\90-s B-movie references that make the game even more funny and absurd. One thing that I didn't like is a camera that sometimes goes mad and jumping all over the place. But it's tolerable mosr of the time.

Overall, really fun game. It's short, yeah but with codec talks it can be a bit longer. Replayability is high because of difficulty levels and funny unlockables.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how ANN's reviews contrast gaming sites. They have been giving Metal Gear Rising lower scores citing short campaigns of 4 hours (which even Inaba had to state in his twitter as 8 hours long) leaving DmC with a higher score. It's getting hard to defend video game sites nowadays.

Oh yeah the game is incredibly violent and it goes with Raiden's character. Like the player, Raiden first is indifferent to the cyborgs as he doesn't consider them humans. After understanding some of his enemies didn't even want to fight, Raiden is becomes shocked and recovers his ripper persona.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
Here, let me write this the way you needed to:

sainta wrote:
Oh yeah the game is incredibly violent and it goes with Raiden's character. spoiler[Like the player, Raiden first is indifferent to the cyborgs as he doesn't consider them humans. After understanding some of his enemies didn't even want to fight, Raiden is becomes shocked and recovers his ripper persona.]

Speaking as someone who just started the game and has gone through the first few areas, I would like to hereby say: hey, JERK, how about you not spoil the goddamn events of a game that has been available for purchase for nine hours? Because what you just said is not something that I have seen happen. The reviewer kept it vague enough that I didn't really foresee the specifics of that happening until YOU posted it. No doubt because some trailer or interview or preview or play-through has been out "for ages" now that mentioned it. That doesn't matter. I only JUST got this game.

sainta wrote:
That's a spoiler dude? I was just citing the very first trailer. Get over it.

Go back up and read that part above one more time.

So far it doesn't feel like the optional conversations are all that short. Unlike Metal Gear Solid 4, there are once again multiple people to call, and so far it seems like there are additional parts of the conversations unlocked with every checkpoint. I'm still only partway through the first stage, but I've played about 2 hours now, just listening to the history, fictional scientific explanations for technology, and of course pop culture/current events critique that for me is a key defining element of what makes these games what they are. My Metal Gear Solid 4 playthrough was about 24 hours, and that was a game that opted to make what was formerly optional content mandatory. If Rising keeps up at the rate it's going, I figure it'll take a roughly similar amount of time.

As such, when reviews observe "this game is short" I imagine they are timing it by the length of the game if you just play through it watching the mandatory cutscenes/dialogue only. This is reasonable since it's how most people play videogames. NOT ME. I want to hear all about exactly how and why the HUD works!

Last edited by Anime World Order on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Here, let me write this the way you needed to:

sainta wrote:
Oh yeah the game is incredibly violent and it goes with Raiden's character. spoiler[Like the player, Raiden first is indifferent to the cyborgs as he doesn't consider them humans. After understanding some of his enemies didn't even want to fight, Raiden is becomes shocked and recovers his ripper persona.]

Speaking as someone who just started the game and has gone through the first few areas, I would like to hereby say: hey, JERK, how about you not spoil the goddamn events of a game that has been available for purchase for nine hours? Because what you just said is not something that I have seen happen. The reviewer kept it vague enough that I didn't really foresee the specifics of that happening until YOU posted it. No doubt because some trailer or interview or preview or play-through has been out "for ages" now that mentioned it. That doesn't matter. I only JUST got this game.

That's a spoiler dude? I was just citing the very first trailer. Get over it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWGkDTp1yrc
daveriley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
As I understand it the trailers spoiled everything except the final boss fight, so I wouldn't use this game as what's acceptable to talk about plot-wise. I avoid trailers specifically because of things like that.

With regards to music: I waffled a bit about it, because I am completely pro-vocals in boss fights (Liberation Maiden being an excellent example), but the only fight where I thought the music -really- fit was the Badlands battle. Otherwise it was all pretty forgettable.

The lyrics of the Badlands fight are still stuck in my head. Maybe that's because I was out of healing items and had to play it three times.

And I'm not saying this factored into my decision, but I wanted to mention Raiden's horrific "Christian Bale Batman" voice during the pre-boss cutscenes, I just didn't think it was a major enough problem to interrupt the flow of the article. But: holy crap I can't figure out what the voice director was thinking because Raiden's acting is fine in the rest of the game but the gravely growly monotone he puts on when talking to the bosses is unbearable. F-
Alunimus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No doubt because some trailer or interview or preview or play-through has been out "for ages" now that mentioned it. That doesn't matter. I only JUST got this game.
If developers themselves decided to stream these trailers and mention certain information in interviews then it means that this inforamation wasn't supposed to be kept in secret. So deal with it. Or just don't read the forums until you beat the game. What's the problem, really?

Quote:
I wanted to mention Raiden's horrific "Christian Bale Batman" voice during the pre-boss cutscenes
Ha-ha, it was hilarious! Especially the one line from trailers about time TO LET'ER RIP. And the way way he laughs... oh, it's like watching this awesome japanese B-movies with even more awesome english dub!
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, it's kinda funny that I always stumble upon critics towards violence in various articles here. What's wrong with violence in videogames and anime? Some products are fun only because of ridiculous, over-the-top gore, especially a lot of japanese ones.

While there are naturally cases of extreme aggression being put to good use in any medium, violence for the sake violence usually comes across exactly as it means to: as masturbation fodder for testosterone filled 14 years olds & the type of adult who plays nothing but shooters every night. You can find material that manages to pull it off, usually by containing something special beyond gore alone (eg Bacanno), or being seen as a novelty (Schwarzenegger movies), but often the content exists solely satiate people with somewhat unhealthy bloodlusts. This is especially true of anime, from the ott violence of 80-90’s ova’s like Apocalypse Zero, to more recent shows like Elfen Lied (ok, 10 years back), Deadman Wonderland or Blood C, that serve more to excite, rather than shock or create a sense of environment. Also, there's a big difference between the violence in, say a brawler, & meticulously slicing your opponent into chunks of meat.

Of course that stuff sells, so I’ll just have to consider it a necessary evil. Different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, in regards to the MGS franchise, I’ve always found it a little hard to get my head around the crazy tonal shifts between real-world references & the absurdity. It does succeed at times, put placing uncomfortably accurate commentary next to chainsaw dogs does sort of undermine the heavier elements the series is trying to convey. Explaining the harrowing & all too accurate back-stories of a group of women who suffered PTS in real-world conflicts, then turning one into a robotic octopus or a wolf equipped with a rail-gun, can feel somewhat insulting. Maybe including such realism in an otherwise silly tale is the best way Kojima could think of to make his message palatable, but the tonal shifts shouldn’t have to be quite so drastic. It only detracts from the message.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but often the content exists solely satiate people with somewhat unhealthy bloodlusts
You are right. But in most of these shows violence is so intense it becomes absurd, unrealistic and, thus, funny. I just think that things like Blooc C's final episode should not be taken seriously. But of course there are always people which feel very offended by this idiocy and have an unresistable urge to blame someone.

Anyway, Revengeance, even with cutting people to pieces, hasn't got any tendency to highlight extreme violence. It just here and... that's all. No slow-mo with decapitations (it actually stops when cutted obkect begins to fall apart), no rivers of blood. It manages to avoid unnecessary bloodlust.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:

Anyway, Revengeance, even with cutting people to pieces, hasn't got any tendency to highlight extreme violence. It just here and... that's all. No slow-mo with decapitations (it actually stops when cutted obkect begins to fall apart), no rivers of blood. It manages to avoid unnecessary bloodlust.

Not to mention the fact that Kojima Productions actually had to reduce the violence a lot. They had to avoid using humans that the player would cut while the Japanese version censored the blood. I think the trailer from Solid Rising was far more violent than most of Revengeance's stuff as it did slow motions during Blade Mode and Zandatsu.

Last edited by sainta on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
It's amazing how ANN's reviews contrast gaming sites. They have been giving Metal Gear Rising lower scores citing short campaigns of 4 hours (which even Inaba had to state in his twitter as 8 hours long) leaving DmC with a higher score. It's getting hard to defend video game sites nowadays.

Well when said sites also effectively launched a smear campaign against critics of DmC, it was more than a bit difficult for them to back out of giving a good score. It would have been too big a blow to their egos.

Anyway, about what I expected for the game. The demo alone showed just how fun it was.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
I feel like the only one that doesn't like this game. I tried the demo a while back and I just couldn't get into the controls on this. Controlling the sword with the analog got so tedious, I ended up mostly using the buttons instead. Not to mention, you're just standing there swinging a sword with analog in the middle of a street section in a GUNFIGHT.

Not my cup, basically.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I have one question. And this question may be the final deciding factor in whether or not I buy this game, since I really REALLY want to...

Can I turn off the blood?

I can't stomach so many games and anime because they're far too bloody, and it's a shame. They could be one of the best things out there and I'd purposely avoid them because they make me feel sick playing them... D:
I even considered buying the Japanese version because the blood in that version is white instead of red, which would at least bare half the weight on my conscience...
Alunimus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't stomach so many games and anime because they're far too bloody
MGR isn't bloody. I mean there are no rivers of blood and "fountains" like in Samurai Shodown, for example. But main characters spoiler[gets himself stabbed by sword in one of the cut-scenes (because nowadays you are not cool slasher game character without being stabbed at least once)].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4