• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Decades of Decadence

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, I can't watch wolf's rain seriously now.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Charge Man Ken probably would have been much better if wasn't so badly animated. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
That Walrus scene has been improved tremendously. Just imagine how much more incredible Wolfs Rain would have been under Mikes watch.

I know finally understand that the Walrus was Paul all along.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Get that Twin Spica manga now, kids, because it's going out of print!

Allow me to reiterate

Quote:

Now, I have gotten some people to buy it, but the ideal number of people is all of the people, and thus will I continue to quote this until it has happened

Quote:

Oddly enough, Planetes did come out over here, wonder why that came over, but not Twin Spica... I was unaware it had a foreign English dub. If it's anything like Fantastic Children's dub though, it will be horrible to sit through.

Quote:

Oh and don't think you can just supplement the physical books with scanlations, complete scanlations do not exist for this series. I've looked (back when I couldn't wait for the next volume, but it did not work). Also, I enjoyed the anime, but I wasn't expecting the manga to be ten times better on even the same subjects, so no, the anime isn't quite a replacement. Also, the manga came out over here!
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I love Wolf Rain you left out X- Man series out of your review but I have seen BABEL II,Orguss 2 and episodes of others you mention in your article. Sad with the demise of Blockbuster Stores I find less anime now to rent especially Anime 18. O for the good old days what a bummer. Sad
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I know someone who got into the Munto manga when she read scans of it online. I had never heard of it, but I managed to track down the OVA in English, and she watched it, and seemed to enjoy it. The series unfortunately has never been brought over here.

The Oh My Goddess OVA is amazing, one of my favorite anime of all time, and my favorite part of the franchise. It had a nice, sweet, simple story that I just fell in love with. The movie was also good, but I couldn't really get into other media from the franchise in the same way. AnimEigo did a fantastic job too. I can't imagine any other voices for the characters (though the movie ones were close). While I'm not a fan of all AnimEigo dubs (a couple of them are among the worst of all time IMO), You're Under Arrest and Oh My Goddess are definite exceptions (their fairly recent job on Clamp School Detectives was very good too).

The voices in the clip for that Ken the Wolf Boy anime are all Daws Butler, with the exception of the Wolf Boy himself, who is someone else. Though I guess it wouldn't surprise me if Don Messick did do some voices in it, Daws Butler's little boy voice does sound fairly similar to Don's, and it could definitely still be him (for those who don't know, Daws also did the voices of Elroy Jetson and Augie Doggy, and those wolves in that clip sounded more like them than Scrappy-Doo, who was voiced by Don).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Astro-boy come out in 1963? Or is that too mundane a title for Mike's cabinet of curiousities?

The odd thing about Astro-boy is that it was practically simulcast in the US. On television, no less.

(...And it's how RightStuf, an amateur telescope supply company, got into selling anime.)

Oh, also,
Quote:
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
When I looked back at 2003 and thought were I was back then and how much has changed, I almost got teary-eyed. Wolfs rain is great, remember buying the entire series like in 2009 on dvd from bandai. Also, waw I had no Idea fma was made by bones back in 2003---Like I can't believe its been so long Surprised
timeldred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
"That guy" chiming in here...Farewell to Yamato came out in 1978. Final Yamato came out in 1983. Right sentiment, wrong movie title.

Also, jumping back to '73, I'm reasonably certain Yoshinobu Nishizaki produced Rocky Chuck. I should probably look that up, but instead I'll let someone else pick up the "That Guy" baton.

Okay, Oscar prep time. Gobba go.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Before I make like a tree and get the heck outta here

*SLAP!*

It's leave, you idiot! "Make like a tree and leave!" You look like a damn FOOL when you type it wrong!

Anyway, this is certainly an interesting way to look at 50 years... For Ken the Wolf Boy it certainly is weird hearing Scrappy Doo's voice come out of a completely different creature. As for Chargeman Ken, it really is a completely silly & stupid show, but it is interesting in that it seemed to be poking fun at child heroes decades before it would be thought of as a good idea. No wonder Chargeman Ken failed back in 1973, right?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I was only looking at a whole 1993 anime chart a day or two ago in a thread about the differences of that year and this, and it's fairly clear the standout anime is Patlabor 2. Other than that there's like 20 TV anime total and a whole bunch of dumpable OVAs with only about 15 salvageable ones, or at least ones I can recognize and remember. As much as everyone reminisce about the past, I'd take today's anime seasons over the early 90s any day. You may have a couple of good shows a year, but that's it! The rest of your anime intake will have to be movies and OVAs. It's easy to tell the economy is still depressed enough to not allow great variety or great quality. Also, the film stocks of those few years are really noticeably worse, with faded colors and diminished vibrancy. I see it in the AMG OVA, Here is Greenwood, Battle Angel Alita, and Video Girl Ai.

Having recently seen Harmageddon's BD and hoping Golgo 13 and Crusher Joe also receive ones of their own soon, it appears to me as period of transition in anime where line-art and design becomes grittier, detail background inflates massively in quality and attention, and tougher more adult subjects are covered. Like, it's really becoming the 80s as we know it. Prior to that, even the Yamato and other Leijiverse films (Arcadia of My Youth and Queen Millennia from 82) were still kid-friendly even if they covered mature themes, still very 70s. Of course, Dallos and the OVA are the largest contributors to where this change would go in the coming years, with anime meant specifically for older teens and adults, kids shouldn't be watching Megazone 23 or Area 88, or Birth.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Coo isn't completely forgotten.

There are a couple of English-subbed releases of it, one using the LD-release of it that came out in Japan, and another using the DVD released in Italy(with the Italian audio stripped). Both using the original subs from an earlier VHS-fansub, which coincidentally also can be found ripped out there.
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I always love seeing articles like this about the history of anime. The golden anniversary of anime articles especially are a great source of information that would otherwise be a major undertaking to find.

I thusfar haven't watched anything from 1963 or 1973 yet, though i'm hoping to get a chance to check out Aim for the Ace! eventually, as i'm very fond of some of Dezaki's other series like Dear Brother and Rose of Versailles. That Chargeman Ken episode on the other hand is absolutely terrible in the most hilarious possible way. The "animation" especially is comedy gold. The total number of frames from that episode looks to be the equivalent of maybe 3 or 4 seconds worth of full animation. It may very well be possible to do an actual slideshow with someone manually changing the slides and still get a higher frame count than Chargeman Ken managed.

From 1983's titles i've seen the first Urusei Yatsura movie, the second Unico movie and the Creamy Mami magical girl series, all of which were very enjoyable.I have the first two on DVD and would love to get the opportunity to someday purchase a release of Creamy Mami (though this will probably remain wishful thinking on my part).

A large number of 1993's titles are familiar to me, and Oh my Goddess! is likewise one of my favourites. It's a wonderful blend of comedy and romance. The character designs and animation hold up very well even today. I particularly love the OP and ED animations. A little over 2 years ago, pretty much all of the douga cuts from the OMG opening gradually came up for auction on the Yahoo Japan auction site. I was only able to get cuts #4, #11 and #12, but it's wonderfull to own some of the original production sketches that were used to make this beautiful OP.

From 2003, i've seen too many series to mention. Some of my favourites would be FMP Fumoffu, Gunslinger Girl and Chrono Crusade. I have very fond memories of watching those.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Cool to hear Munto mentioned, I always loved that project... I hope we get the TV series (or the compilation film) released over here someday.
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
oh MAN! A lot of great things age with another decade to their name this year. I'm feeling particularly nostalgic for 2003. Lots and lots of things came out and around that time I started subscribing to an anime magazine.
Thanks for sharing "Chargeman Ken!" That was something else and I feel enlightened.
Great article as always.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4