• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Chi's Sweet Home

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arsenette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Heh.. I watched the really short anime on Crunchyroll. Never new the manga was that elaborate.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy Chi's Sweet Home. It's adorable and sweet. For me, a cat-lover by nature, it's perfect. Though...I have to admit, every once it awhile, I stare at Chi's face too long and her abnormally large eyes start to look a bit disturbing. I've only seen about 60% of Chi's New Address, as far as the anime is concerned.

Mono no aware in an American cat comic? In my experience, the US has plenty of fiction based on or around animals, but the more realistic ones tend to be in written novel form. Actually, the most realistic American cat comic I can think of is Beasts of Burden...which focuses on, like, five or six dogs and one cat all involved in the occult, but still. No mono no aware that I can recall, though. (It's still an amazing comic that people should totally pick up.) Tokyopop also had a million of those mostly-sub-par Warriors graphic novels.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I would have to disagree that What's Michael? is a human-animal manga. There are chapters like that, but mostly the cats act like cats and are just drawn cartoonish. I think he gets some of the movements of cats incredibly spot on. I think the manga is more about cat people then cats most of the time (like the old couple where the woman won't get up to answer the phone despite being right there because the cat is on her lap), which is why I find it so adorable and relatable. Plenty of times, cats will run around, sit on their owners until they're fed, and do other things that make me, as a cat owner, go "damn, cats so totally do that".
Oddly enough, Chi doesn't feel like a real kitten to me, to me Chi seems like a toddler in kitten form exploring a new world, just being a small cat instead of a human toddler. And maybe doing some kitten things, yeah, but I feel like most of her dialogue made her seem more human to me then the What's Michael? cats did most of the time.
I'm totally a What's Michael? fan, I still think that's the most perfect cat manga out there. I'm glad that it's selling so well for Vertical, but it's one of the few titles of theirs I have no interest in collecting.
Redmaigo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I would have to disagree that What's Michael? is a human-animal manga. There are chapters like that, but mostly the cats act like cats and are just drawn cartoonish. I think he gets some of the movements of cats incredibly spot on. I think the manga is more about cat people then cats most of the time (like the old couple where the woman won't get up to answer the phone despite being right there because the cat is on her lap), which is why I find it so adorable and relatable. Plenty of times, cats will run around, sit on their owners until they're fed, and do other things that make me, as a cat owner, go "damn, cats so totally do that".
Oddly enough, Chi doesn't feel like a real kitten to me, to me Chi seems like a toddler in kitten form exploring a new world, just being a small cat instead of a human toddler. And maybe doing some kitten things, yeah, but I feel like most of her dialogue made her seem more human to me then the What's Michael? cats did most of the time.

So it's Yotsuba as a cat?

I'm okay with that.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
But pet manga is a niche market, perhaps simply because pet ownership isn't as common in Japan as in the US.

Though it is on the rise:

Gordenker, Alice (17 April 2012). "Pampered pets". The Japan Times. So, What the Heck Is That? (monthly column).
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to buy Chi's Sweet Home since I had finished the anime a few months ago. Pet manga is something I'm rarely interested but this was just so cute without being too over the top.

Unlike Polar Bear Cafe's slightly realistic drawings, the cartoony illustrations of animals and humans match well with the lightness of the series.

Quote:
In her deepest dreams she remembers her mother, imagining herself turning into a drop of water and melting blissfully into the rippling pool of mama. This is the first time a cat comic has ever reminded me of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Pffft! Laughing
cat_clan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
For all of you that like Chi as I do, Morning website has some wallpapers you can download for free here
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Random question, but doesn't Japan have "cat visitation centers" so to say in big cities? Adorable rooms filled with cats, toys, cat trees, etc, where people who can't own a cat (most people it would seem) can go play with adorable kittehs? That just sounds so cool to me I would totally cheat on my cat to go to one :3

Redmaigo wrote:

I'm okay with that.

Yeah, that's kinda how Chi's Sweet Home came off to me (I've read volume 1). Obviously this is going to be awesome to most people except I'm one of the 5 not fans of Yotsuba&!, so yeah, not my thing.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Redmaigo wrote:

I'm okay with that.

Yeah, that's kinda how Chi's Sweet Home came off to me (I've read volume 1). Obviously this is going to be awesome to most people except I'm one of the 5 not fans of Yotsuba&!, so yeah, not my thing.

Personally, I like the whole "WOW! SHE'S SOOO CUTE! AND SOOOO BLISSFULLY CLUELESS!" Yotsuba thing more with a cat than with a person.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
I had NO idea that the manga was made in an anthology magazine for a much older demographic! After watching the two anime series, I figured it was meant to be a show for toddlers in Japan. Not that other ages can't enjoy it (I love Chi!), but from a market perspective.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
This is a great series for someone starting out learning Japanese too, as the vocabulary is very easy (she is a baby, after all).
Chi's Sweet Home is one of my favourite manga series. It's sweet, adorable, hilarious and heartbreaking. Any scenes involving Chi's mother, whether she's merely thinking about her or narrowly missing finding her, made me want to bawl.
So glad to see it featured here.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
As a guy who's owned both cats and dogs,I can identify with this one. "Chi's Sweet Home" is a very cute manga. A shame there isn't more of it around. I'd love to read more of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1