• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Zeon Empire Forms Sister State Alliance with Saitama

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkonezero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
You'd think that people in their 60's would know about it...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:
You'd think that people in their 60's would know about it...

It's probably just beyond their youth. Maybe something from Tiger Mask or Kyojin no Hoshi would have been memorable.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Sieg Zeon!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Brings a smile to my face.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing quite like forming an alliance with a nation that killed billions of people within a few days and has race supremacy motivations to improve the tourism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
prabb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
There's nothing quite like forming an alliance with a nation that killed billions of people within a few days and has race supremacy motivations to improve the tourism.

Somebody should arrest those Zeon dudes!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Rarely do I agree with you but I back this sentiment 100%.

The Zeons were genocidal evil maniacs who were unambiguously based on the Nazis. That people actually like the Zeons and sympathise with them makes me sick. That a prefecture would support them is plain baffling.
Vent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
When the One Year War starts we'll know who sold us out
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Rarely do I agree with you but I back this sentiment 100%.

The Zeons were genocidal evil maniacs who were unambiguously based on the Nazis. That people actually like the Zeons and sympathise with them makes me sick. That a prefecture would support them is plain baffling.

I tihnk it's cause it's kind of a TV Show. Were they to support an actual dictorial regime this way it would be worth asking questions, but no sorry to complain about this is well...I want to say take it way to seriously, but it's textbook Gundam article commentary sadly. Rolling Eyes
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
It's not worse than flying the confederate flag, or reenacting as WW2 German soldiers. And, AFAIK, those guys did really kill people.

EDIT: Sieg Zeon!, I add.
The American Average

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
so are they going to drop a colony soon or later? Cause i better not be near ground zero
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
It's not worse than flying the confederate flag, or reenacting as WW2 German soldiers. And, AFAIK, those guys did really kill people.

Even though Zeon is fictional it's still glorifying genocide and tyranny.

The Confederates may have been trying to defend their right to keep slaves, which is pretty disgusting in itself, even if they were worried about their own economies. But at least they didn't slaughter billions of people with no warning. Yes, neither did the Zeons since they are fictional, but that's trivialising the sentiment and missing the point.

As for war re-enactments of German soldiers, that's extremely tame. Some of them may be honouring their fathers or grandfathers who fought valiantly during the war, which is their right to do. Or they may simply be non-Germans who are playing the enemy against those re-enacting the Allied forces. After all, you can't stage a mock war without two sides.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

EDIT: Sieg Zeon!, I add.
The problem is that neither or those is the same as flying a genocidal regime's flag: few German soldiers were actual Nazis(that would be the Waffen SS, created for pretty much that reason) and were fighting for Germany, not the party(though little things like the Morgenthau Plan helped aligned the interest of the two); the cultural baggage surrounding the Confederate battle flag(it was never selected as the Confederacy's official flag, though it may well have been given enough time) has more to do with the people who use, rather than the actual Confederacy's policies and principles(while the slavery aspect gets played up in most modern-day tellings, states' rights and secession held more long-run importance).
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
I am pleased with this news. Long life to the Zabi Family, hail Lady Haman, hail Lady Mineva, hail Lord Char.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

What!? It's not like they haven't done this before!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2