• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wolf Children, SAO, Kuroko's Basketball Win Tokyo Anime Awards

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
It's a little laughable to me Sword Art Online won any award for television
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Sword Art Online got recognition, even if a lot of people here hate it. Its still a great anime.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Glad to see Sword Art Online got recognition, even if a lot of people here hate it. Its still a great anime.

That's certainly debatable.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
Not really surprised by any of these choices. All of them seemed pretty obvious.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Mah, I'm not a fan of SAO, hate it actually but I won't debate about it. Glad that Kuroko on the list, after all the craps it went through, it certainly deserves the spot.
senpai27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
What? SAO and Kuroko doesn't really do anything outstanding even in terms of animation (Hyouka does that best) but it really just shows they both are being chosen for popularity.

But Reki Kawahara awarded for original work award? Why? His novels just being adapted to become anime, it's not like he offered an original script to the anime studio. Does that mean mangaka can win that award too when their manga becomes anime? This kinda boggles my mind.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
SAO? Sigh, ok. Confused I guess it's all down to popularity.
And Kuroko no Basuke? Even though I'm a big fan of that anime, there are other anime which deserve the award instead.
Still, congrats to both of them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
SAO getting Original work award?

No big deal, it just means this awards can be taken as seriously as the PCA
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
senpai27 wrote:
What? SAO and Kuroko doesn't really do anything outstanding even in terms of animation (Hyouka does that best) but it really just shows they both are being chosen for popularity.

But Reki Kawahara awarded for original work award? Why? His novels just being adapted to become anime, it's not like he offered an original script to the anime studio. Does that mean mangaka can win that award too when their manga becomes anime? This kinda boggles my mind.

I agree with everything you said.

Although I will admit, SAO and Kuroko had their moments in animating intense fighting or competition scenes, the overall episode qualities of the two shows really suffered from having awkward pacing and dialogues.

I didn't really find Reki Kawahara winning the award that surprising, since his SAO series is the only series that I have read so far that brings something new to every story arc and actually make me feel engaged. I think people are forgetting to consider that SAO and Elfheim Online arc are not the only arcs in the SAO series, and that the newer arcs that he wrote get better and better.

Last edited by jojothepunisher on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
I really do need to watch Wolf Children. Kuroko no Basuke is alright, quite funny and watchable but also extremely stupid. Sword Art Online is well-made trash. I can only shake my head at either series winning anything here.

These awards are a simple popularity contest and do not reflect the true quality of broadcast Anime in 2012.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
A lot has been said about SAO and Kuroke no Basket winning awards that may not have been deserved, but why do I get the feeling that Yoko Kanno or Yuki Kajiura were the only ones that were ever going to get best music. If I could even tell people what the Kids on The Slope OST sounded like....like I remember it wasn't bad but I seriously cannot remember much of the BGM that wasn't licensed music and that doesn't bode well for it not being a popular name based token award. There were a lot of outstanding creative OSTs like Horizon on The Middle of Nowhere, Zetsuen no Tempest, Accel World and Psycho-Pass that I stood out to me far more.

Why does it always seem like it's those two that get all the recognition though. I mean they're both very serviceable artists and one can definitely be argued to be a legend but I wish someone else would get some recognition for once. Especially when I don't feel that Kanno has been at her best since the early 2000's.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Eh, award shows never really reflect how good an anime is in terms of its artistic merit. Or anything for that matter, I don't know why you're getting so up tight about it? 0.o

I would also point that, whilst I like SAO (ofc the books are much better in terms of pacing and background etc) to me both people who are overly zealous and overly hateful are equally annoying. If you like something it doesn't make it the best, if it's popular and not amazing it doesn't make it shit -.-

I can't comment on Kuroko no basket since I haven't watched it, but from what I've seen people seem to like it so it's doing something right. Wolf children looks like a nice watch but I don't know when I'll gt around to it tbh.

My only real complaint given that you can never take award shows seriously, is that I feel there should be a wider variety of shows here.

Personally, I think Hyouka is my fav anime of 2012 ;p it hits nearly all the spots for me.
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
Its popular to bash what is popular even if those critiques have no grounds in reality. Its what all the cool kids do.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Its popular to bash what is popular even if those critiques have no grounds in reality. Its what all the cool kids do.

Yep because popularity sure has it's merits in quality Rolling Eyes
fire_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
Anyway Shinsekai Yori better than all other anime of 2012.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5