• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Masakazu Ishiguro

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Excellent interview!! (coming from the resident SoreMachi fangirl...) Too bad this wasn't posted before JManga started shutting things down, but as suddenly as that all came about I can't say ANN's at fault for waiting. Just hope the series will get a second chance for the English market, somewhere, somehow! It's too good not to have available to everyone.

I really appreciated hearing about Ishiguro-sensei's influences and thought process. I started paying attention to the non-linear sequence of chapters part way through; it's like a game to pick up the hints of connections and place them in a timeline (like a figurine that shows up in one chapter and is bought as a gift in another, or references to a summer vacation trip, or Hotori's accidental haircut...). And I always thought the mysterious occurrences—aliens, dreams, time travel, etc—that popped up once or twice a volume were a fun, unique addition to the otherwise down-to-earth setting. It's cool that he did that as a tribute of sorts to another manga he admired :)

I'm also really, really thankful now that Ishiguro-sensei decided he couldn't write moe. What he does write is so delightful and charming and perfect!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I love his current serialization (for obvious reasons). Just bought vol. 2 last Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I too am disappointed that this series was swept up in the JManga fall.

Ishiguro-sensei does not need to worry about moe, what he creates is good and that is all we could ask for.

Mark Gosdin
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Here's another interview with him that jmanga set up right before the end that just came out:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/03/27/masakazu-ishiguro-masahiro-ohno-soremachi/

Also they seem to have the first chapter up for reading...
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope some new digital manga site can pick up SoreMachi. I enjoyed what I read of it and JManga closing up just as this interview went up is VERY unfortunate.
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps this interview might help with getting some buzz for his works so they are relicensed. So the timing might not be so inopportune after all.

Positive thoughts! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
I started paying attention to the non-linear sequence of chapters part way through; it's like a game to pick up the hints of connections and place them in a timeline (like a figurine that shows up in one chapter and is bought as a gift in another, or references to a summer vacation trip, or Hotori's accidental haircut...).

I noticed that too around the time Hotori had her haircut botched. I started rereading the older chapters once I realized this. I think its pretty neat because it allows him to craft additional stories from earlier that maybe he did not think about or have time to craft. It is a shame that its ending at where it is at Jmanga because from what I could tell, they seem to be entering Hotori's senior year. I, too, hope someone not only rereleases this on digital but maybe on print as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1