• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haruhi Light Novels

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I just completed reading the 8th translated light novel for Haruhi titled "The Indignation of Haruhi Suzumiya". So I went online to search up how many books are left. As it turns out, there are only 2 more novels in the series. The 9th novel is coming out in June 2013 in English and the final volume 10 and 11 are being merged into one big book and is releasing in Nov. 2013. The story of these books consists of basically a collection of short mini stories centered around 5 of the main characters. From what people are saying online, the final mini story thats told in vol 10+11 comes to a conclusion and the book ends.

What somewhat bothers me, is the fact that its supposedly the final haruhi light novel to ever release? Is that really true? Would the series just randomly end without a proper conclusion, I mean the series didn't really have a deep story that requires a conclusion, but a send-off chapter wouldn't hurt with Kyon narrating. If anyone keeps up with the light novels, what are your thoughts on the series. And more importantly, do you believe that vol 11 is actually the final book in the series---because Im on the fence with that statement :/
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
...is the fact that its supposedly the final haruhi light novel to ever release?

Some people say Tanigawa Nagaru is a case of Togashi's disease, and some works by Tanigawa are on hiatus. (An artbook by Itō Noizi, which has been published in April, has a Haruhi short story by Tanigawa, though.) He may or may not be going to write a new Haruhi novel.

ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I just completed reading the 8th translated light novel for Haruhi titled "The Indignation of Haruhi Suzumiya". So I went online to search up how many books are left. As it turns out, there are only 2 more novels in the series. The 9th novel is coming out in June 2013 in English and the final volume 10 and 11 are being merged into one big book and is releasing in Nov. 2013. The story of these books consists of basically a collection of short mini stories centered around 5 of the main characters. From what people are saying online, the final mini story thats told in vol 10+11 comes to a conclusion and the book ends.

What somewhat bothers me, is the fact that its supposedly the final haruhi light novel to ever release? Is that really true? Would the series just randomly end without a proper conclusion, I mean the series didn't really have a deep story that requires a conclusion, but a send-off chapter wouldn't hurt with Kyon narrating. If anyone keeps up with the light novels, what are your thoughts on the series. And more importantly, do you believe that vol 11 is actually the final book in the series---because Im on the fence with that statement :/
Novels 9/10/11 contain one long story split between 3 novels (mostly due to the gimmick Tanigawa chose to use). They're not "a collection of short mini stories" at all.

The person who writes the catch cover text for Yen often makes mistakes regarding the Haruhi series (in fact I used to joke that it made the listings authentic because it's messed up) and Yen confirmed that it was a mistake. Novels 10/11 are not the final release in the series and Tanigawa mentioned in a roundtable discussion in April 2011 that he was writing the next novel at that point. As to why it's not been released, who knows?

TL;DR: Novels 9/10/11: not short stories, one long story
Novels 10/11: not the end
Novel 12: in progress
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
^Sounds good and I hope you're right

And yeah I know 9/10/11 are one long story, just like book 1/2/4etc are separate stories too. I meant books 3/5/6etc when I said collection of short stories
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1