• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Grand Prizes Given for 4th Kyoto Animation Award

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
This would be cool to participate in, I wish i was fluent in Japanese and not just intermediate.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Honestly sounds like a scam contest if there never seems to be any Grand Prizes. It seems like they just don't want to give out the prize money.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but four years and no grand prizes seems suspect. Ultra picky, all terrible submissions, or it's all a farce where they know they're not going to pick anything and just waste people's time?

If you know of any other contests where this is routine, please tell me, especially if it's happened three or more times in a row, that's far more than a coincidence.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Every time I hear about this so called award not giving grand prizes, I cannot help laughing. At the same time I feel sorry for those who submitted works. I agree with Kougeru and walw6pK4Alo. This contest seems like a scam.
bunnyrice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
This could be a scam, but I don't think so, at least for the LN part. KA Esuma is a new imprint which few people know about, sold at few places, and the prize money is far below average for those awards, so no wonder few people submit to it. In all honesty, Chuunibyou and Kyoukai no Kanata aren't that great, and both were heavily influenced by other works. Their massive investment in animating honorable mentions lately is more than likely an attempt to advertise the imprint.

AFAIK, Dengeki chooses as many winners for each category (grand prize, gold, silver, honorable) as they want, so technically they can not pick any grand prizes, but they're the most disputed LN award so there shouldn't be a need for that.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Every time I hear about this so called award not giving grand prizes, I cannot help laughing. At the same time I feel sorry for those who submitted works. I agree with Kougeru and walw6pK4Alo. This contest seems like a scam.

Sounds like they have actual standards for it rather than simply being better than everything else submitted. So if *everything* is mediocre or just a little above average, that's still not good enough for the grand prize. I don't have a problem with this.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
On the other hand, if everything they're receiving is mediocre and therefore nothing can gain Grand Prize...that's not saying good things about the quality of LNs today.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
On the other hand, if everything they're receiving is mediocre and therefore nothing can gain Grand Prize...that's not saying good things about the quality of LNs today.

Pretty much. You could look at it as an attempt to cultivate stories of higher quality by having a standard beyond "better than all of the other crap".
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
You could look at it as an attempt to cultivate stories of higher quality by having a standard beyond "better than all of the other crap".

Which is ironic considering how many people despise KyoAni's own work.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Call me crazy, but four years and no grand prizes seems suspect. Ultra picky, all terrible submissions, or it's all a farce where they know they're not going to pick anything and just waste people's time?

If you know of any other contests where this is routine, please tell me, especially if it's happened three or more times in a row, that's far more than a coincidence.

It's really not uncommon at all. Check out the list of winners (or lack thereof) for the Akatsuka Award--a rather well-known award for comedic manga:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/赤塚賞

("受賞者なし" is "No award given")

Same story with the Tezuka Award (the "story manga" counterpart for the Akatsuka Award):

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/手塚賞

You can see the committee members for the Tezuka Award in the English wiki article on it.

I wouldn't say they're being too picky or it's NOT a scam, but this isn't really all that unusual.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
nobody is going to waste time to submit anything good if they never gie out grand prize. lol it's only 10k.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
nobody is going to waste time to submit anything good if they never gie out grand prize. lol it's only 10k.

Its not like winning the grand prize actually means anything. All of the submissions to get KyoAni anime adaptions didn't win the Grand Prize... thats more of a reward than what they offer as the Grand Prize.
Team Rocket Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
While not part of the official prize scheme, getting a anime of your work can also be seen as a prize and a reason to enter the contest. I'm not sure how much money they get from the anime, but I would imagine a successful anime would net them more than a million yen. I could be completely wrong on that, though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:27 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Or the people who are good don't consider this Award prestigious enough to worth submitting to.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
Well, of course they can't give anyone the grand prize, then they'd have to do something that isn't being a complete heel.

enurtsol wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Or the people who are good don't consider this Award prestigious enough to worth submitting to.

And given what KyoAni is what to fart out these days, I wouldn't ether.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4