• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Kite Film Acquired by The Weinstein Co.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CodeAlpha

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Woah. I'm pretty amazed at how well they did picking an actress. She actually does seem to look very similar to the character.
rokusaburo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
I don't remember any Afro-Americans in Kite. Does this mean that Umetsu is desperate to get this out that script can go to hell (assuming he has anything to do with the project), or is Jackson funding it so he can get the starring role?
I'll stick with the anime version.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
rokusaburo wrote:
I don't remember any Afro-Americans in Kite. Does this mean that Umetsu is desperate to get this out that script can go to hell (assuming he has anything to do with the project), or is Jackson funding it so he can get the starring role?

In a role like this, the race of the character doesn't mean squat. The script going to hell because he's black? Really? That's one of the most ignorant things I've read in a long time.

Never mind that in theater, going against race conventions when it comes to casting occurs frequently. You might have a point if in the story he was supposed to be a KKK member, but judging the movie based on your criteria is full of fail.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Fri May 10, 2013 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't tell if the lead actress is Asian or not.
Lincolne

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
rokusaburo wrote:

I hate it when these post start popping up. Yes its a Japanese anime. But It does not mean every character has to be Asian.
rokusaburo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Lincolne wrote:
rokusaburo wrote:

I hate it when these post start popping up. Yes its a Japanese anime. But It does not mean every character has to be Asian.

That is not what I'm saying. It is an adaptation, so they can do whatever they like. And Jackson taking a relatively minor character? Fine. I would probably watch that.
I just think that people can get too fast and free with adaptations. Would you like to see a Mexican as the star of an live Afro Samurai remake? Would be rather pointless, but I bet someone is thinking about doing it. And worse yet, there would be people line up to see it.
Lincolne

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
rokusaburo wrote:
Lincolne wrote:
rokusaburo wrote:

That is not what I'm saying. It is an adaptation, so they can do whatever they like. And Jackson taking a relatively minor character? Fine. I would probably watch that.
I just think that people can get too fast and free with adaptations. Would you like to see a Mexican as the star of an live Afro Samurai remake? Would be rather pointless, but I bet someone is thinking about doing it. And worse yet, there would be people line up to see it.

I can see a Mexican as the Star of a live action Afro Samurai. You have to be open minded. As long as they can pull off the Character . Who cares if they are White/Black/Asian/Mexican or whatever.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK, this adaptation isn't set in Japan neither, so then it'd be normal to have other races.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Unlike AKIRA, it's at least not tied to anything specific that links it to Japan or Japanese culture. It could have just as easily been Chicago. If this becomes a nice hard R action film, it's definitely one I'll throw my full support in. Not just because it has the potential to actually be a decent adaptation, but because hard R action films have been so marginalized in lieu of trying to get 13-16 year old dollars.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unlike AKIRA, it's at least not tied to anything specific that links it to Japan or Japanese culture. It could have just as easily been Chicago. If this becomes a nice hard R action film, it's definitely one I'll throw my full support in. Not just because it has the potential to actually be a decent adaptation, but because hard R action films have been so marginalized in lieu of trying to get 13-16 year old dollars.

With what I've heard about the source material, I'd be less surprised if it had an X-Rating.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
With what I've heard about the source material, I'd be less surprised if it had an X-Rating.

Even the cut version of Kite is quite risque, the uncut has explicit genitalia and sex, it's beyond NC-17. My gripe is that I don't want violence and mature themes toned down to PG-13 for the sake of the kiddies, because that often does ruin a film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1