• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Prince's Bride

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I purchased The Princess and the Pilot on a blind buy and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of war films, and that's what I originally thought this film was going to be about. The characters sure won me over. The ending left me feeling a bit melancholy though.
Ahiru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I put in "The Princess and the Pilot" expecting a sweet, mild story that would be an enjoyable watch, but like you, Bamboo, with no real expectations. When the credits rolled, I was "gushing" as much as you did Surprised I was ready for a rewatch right then!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, making your own box sets...

Blind bought The Princess and the Pilot. Guess I should watch it before it falls too far into my already-extensive backlog...
vinamara

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Spot on review for the Princess and the Pilot. The review pretty much recaps my experience with it right down to tearing up during the last stretch. Even the melodious lullaby sung in the movie got stuck in my head by the end of the movie which surprised me even more since I usually forget about them in mere moments.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They all run maybe 45 seconds or so, and are goofy gags of the girls in SD-form doing nonsensical things. It's pretty impossible to not crack a smile when youre

When you're what, Bamboo? X3
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Apparently I need to watch The Princess and the Pilot...

And agreed with the Maria Watches Over Us review. I usually kind of just fly by those types of series, but I enjoyed that one a surprising amount, especially considering all the over-the-top melodrama in it.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I watched Princess & the Pilot last year with some expectations. I like the music, the setting, and even the ending because it wasn't exactly what I was predicting.

I think overall, it was good and I enjoyed it, but it's not special. I think if anything, the quality of that movie should be the standard for anime in terms of writing and characterization. I would've probably bought a standard edition of it (if that existed), but it's not worth the NISA premium treatment, in my opinion. I'm not saying the movie itself isn't shelf-worthy, but this LE version just seems too much for a movie that just comes short of being amazing. I guess if you're a huge fan of it, then it's worth it. If you're just a casual anime fan, then not so much.

Btw, that Toradora boxset...I'm kinda jelly.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Princess and the Pilot is Blu-ray only, I don't have a Blu-ray player Crying or Very sad
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't order princess and the pilot cause other stuff took priority over it (I can only buy so much anime at once without draining my wallet and going through burnout). Might have to check it out now. Maybe I'll pick it up at anime expo

Also, DAMN! That dude made those art boxes :0 I think I'mma have to hire him to make some for me Anime hyper
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And in the end, Kenshi did end up growing on me

To me at least, Kenshi got a little annoying toward the end when his main drive to saving the world and his friends was really to save his crystal collections.
Quote:
By the same token, if you're a huge fan of the Tenchi Muyo! franchise, I guess your mileage may vary

Despite my mentioned nitpick, I still loved this as a Tenchi fan. It applied the old-school formula, had an entire ensemble of characters where the girls had more personality than most typical harem series, and took us on an imaginative adventure in an imaginative world that kept me hooked. Definitely glad Funimation grabbed this.
giseki

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
rosario+vampire was one of the first anime i watched aswell!! xD

and i love maria sama!!!

whoop for me!!!!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
As good as The Princess and The Pilot is (I rated it Very Good), Bamboo is definitely overselling it. It does bring up plot threads and themes that are not properly explored, and some parts do stretch credibility. That said, she's right about the characters being very sympathetic, and I had an Avatar of Fana for a while:

So yeah, I do recommend that people watch it, just don't expect a masterpiece.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The Princess and the Pilot is actually a pretty good movie imo. I watched it on a Friday night in one go and liked it. I'm also glad there will be an animated series based on the novels soon to air.

Oh and nice collection, those Clannad items.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I did like The Princess and the Pilot for many reasons, one of which was that it had a realistic ending, rather than a fairytale ending or an unrealistically happy ending. I have to agree with everything Bamboo said about it.

Maria watches over us isn't a show you can jump into at any time, you need to follow the characters from the start to see how they develop.
In the second series I LOATHED Touko, that Evil Corkscrew-Haired BITCH!
But by the fourth I could see how she was the right petite soeur for Yumi, and complemented her perfectly.

I'm still sad we've never had a fifth season (or OVAs) to continue the story to its end - Sachiko's graduation. I'm sure if that ever came to pass I'd weep buckets.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:

I'm still sad we've never had a fifth season (or OVAs) to continue the story to its end - Sachiko's graduation. I'm sure if that ever came to pass I'd weep buckets.

And there's my biggest gripe with the whole Maria Watches Over Us All concept- It should end with Yumi's graduation, otherwise you end up with perpetual little sister syndrome. But after shows like Maria+Holic, Strawberry Panic and Humanity Has Declined, I no longer have to take this show seriously.

I forget if I've seen the fourth season and thanks to the plot, there's no way to tell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3