• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sengoku Basara: The Last Party BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Loved the review. Couldn't agree with you more. SB gave me the same feeling DBZ did when I saw it on Toonami as a kid, so I love it for its refuge in audacity.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Sengoku Basara is goofy fun. It reminds me of Gurren Lagann and it's "screw physics with my manly passion" attitude. My main complaint with the movie is that we didn't get to see a resolution to the Masamune/Yukimura rivalry, but I guess they didn't want to piss off the respective fans of each character with a victor.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Although I did enjoy the DBZ series as a kid, I could not get into Sengoku Basara. The "manly passion" aspect of SB was just way too outlandish for me. I tried watching a few episodes, and it almost just came across as comical rather than a fun (if occasionally eccentric) action show, which is what DBZ was to me. I think there is a red line somewhere between comedic shows and action shows, and the position of a particular show on either side of that line is partially related to how obvious the writers make it that they are just having fun with the script and doing whatever they want in a kind of tongue in cheek fashion. I felt like SB's writers made it too obvious that they were just having a good time, and perhaps TOO much of a good time. Everything was so over the top, and the constant scenes where the men are yelling each other's names at the absolute top of their lungs for like 15 seconds straight came across as more annoying than funny for me.

Unfortunately, since the series is not a straight up comedy, it ended up just being a niche action show that I couldn't take seriously, which is why I never finished it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I felt like SB's writers made it too obvious that they were just having a good time, and perhaps TOO much of a good time.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing. If the people behind a show are having a good time (nay, "fun") while working on an anime series then that just sounds all the better. I can understand most of your other arguments regarding the series, though I can never understand the logic of "over-the-top = comedy", but complaining that people actually had passion & enjoyment while making a series just sounds weird.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
It isn't really that I am just complaining about them having fun, it is more about the kind of fun they are having. People can make a fantastic series and have a great time doing it, but that is distinctly different then creating a show and screwing around the whole time (and making it obvious in the show that you were screwing around). That was what I was complaining about. So much of Sengoku Basara seems like it is being written by people who are just trying to outdo each other with outlandishness and over the top behavior, thinking that will be awesomely humorous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1