• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump's J-Stars Victory Vs. Crossover Game Previewed in 1st Promo Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this despite not having a PS3 or a PSP. I want to see all the characters in action. I wonder how many characters there will be in total, I'm personally hoping for maybe around 50. There's a 45 year history of great characters that they can add.

I do wonder if multiple characters from the same series will be included, or if it will just be the main protagonist... Because I'd really like to see Kagura in this, she could add some much needed diversity to the roster.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll be disappointed if these are the only characters in the game. I personally think one character from every shounen jump manga should be in it.

I'd kill to see Train from Black Cat and Tsuna from Reborn in it. If they appear, then I'd import it.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
I'll be disappointed if these are the only characters in the game. I personally think one character from every shounen jump manga should be in it.

I'd kill to see Train from Black Cat and Tsuna from Reborn in it. If they appear, then I'd import it.

...You realize that'd make the game far too large to fit on one disc, right? The magazine's been running for 45 years and has been known to end series after 10 chapters if they're not sufficiently popular.

There'd need to be some sort of hard restriction.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

If there was one character from every Shonen Jump series, there would be well over 300 characters included in the game, and the logistics of that would be a nightmare. Plus, some series just wouldn't fit in a fighting game.

Three of my favorite Shonen Jump manga, Death Note, Bakuman, and Shokugeki no Soma have no place in a fighting game, though I wish they could be worked in somehow...

Maybe one character from every series that could be in a fighting game, that lasted over 10 volumes? That would be a lot more doable, and would probably round down to about 80 characters or so.

I'm almost positive more characters will be introduced, but the majority of the characters shown in the trailer are from popular Jump series that are running right now, they would be more familiar to the modern Japanese fan of Jump manga. However, I would love to see characters such as Yoh from Shaman King, and Rikuo Nura from Nurahiyon no Mago, but we just have to play the waiting game as of now...
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I'm excited for this despite not having a PS3 or a PSP. I want to see all the characters in action. I wonder how many characters there will be in total, I'm personally hoping for maybe around 50. There's a 45 year history of great characters that they can add.

I do wonder if multiple characters from the same series will be included, or if it will just be the main protagonist... Because I'd really like to see Kagura in this, she could add some much needed diversity to the roster.
I'm sure there will be more characters from all the shows shown so far but id love to see all and a date soon lol
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

...You realize that'd make the game far too large to fit on one disc, right? The magazine's been running for 45 years and has been known to end series after 10 chapters if they're not sufficiently popular.

Alright, battle mangas that are more than those 10 chapters obviously. I am not a shounen jump fan but I know there are people who want their favorite series in a game somehow or another, even if it's just a crossover. Alot of good series get overshadowed by the popular stuff like Naruto, Bleach and DBZ.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Im sure that at the very least, the game will include the rival of each character. Though I'm only familiar with Naruto and Dbz, (I'm assuming Sasuke and Vegeta) I cant imagine the other series don't have someone of equal popularity
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
need Yusuke, Gon, Yoh Asakura
burnpsy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
burnpsy wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

Alright, battle mangas that are more than those 10 chapters obviously. I am not a shounen jump fan but I know there are people who want their favorite series in a game somehow or another, even if it's just a crossover. Alot of good series get overshadowed by the popular stuff like Naruto, Bleach and DBZ.

I agree that more series need to be added in.

BTW, some additional info since you're not a Jump fan: Every ten issues, they MUST end 2-3 series and start the same amount of new series, without exception. This is to keep the magazine fresh and is also why they end especially bad stuff immediately. I'd set the minimum cut-off to be in this game at a year, at least.

There might be character assists for lesser-known series or series that can't have a fighter.

@OncelostLu: I doubt they'll do that when they have so many series to choose from.

Last edited by burnpsy on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:

Three of my favorite Shonen Jump manga, Death Note, Bakuman, and Shokugeki no Soma have no place in a fighting game, though I wish they could be worked in somehow...

i have feeling Death note will be in since it too popular to be not in. I mean the police manga is in so....

maybe not soma (too new) and bakuma (not popular enough)
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
rrizqiw wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

i have feeling Death note will be in since it too popular to be not in. I mean the police manga is in so....

maybe not soma (too new) and bakuma (not popular enough)

While popularity does matter in their decision, I imagine they will go with series that have more of a focus on fighting, because let's face it, while Death Note has character death and stuff, all of the combat is in in the mind, and its hard to make that transition.

Soma is too new, that I agree with, plus what could Soma do in battle? Cook the characters to death? While that would indeed be awesome, I just can't see it working.

Bakuman at its core is basically a sports manga, but its a sport that doesn't really require movements that could be translated over to a fighting game. But, I have to disagree about it not being that popular, if memory serves its one of the best selling manga series in recent Jump history.

This game will probably be like Jump Super Stars, and Jump Ultimate Stars, where characters from other series that don't really involve fighting can be summoned in a way akin to Assist Trophies from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Which is how Death Note was included in Jump Ultimate Stars. I imagine the same could be done for any other series, that has low chances.

I personally hope that Korosensei is in it. If Shuiesha wants to use this game as advertising then it would be weird if he wasn't included, especially with Assassination Classroom's popularity as one of the top series in Jump, sometimes even ranking higher than One Piece. While it is a new series, I feel like they have enough to go off of, if they wanted to add him as a character.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:

While popularity does matter in their decision, I imagine they will go with series that have more of a focus on fighting

This is sensible, but keep in mind that Smash Brothers just decided to add in Wii Fit Trainer and Random Animal Crossing Villager, so it's certainly *possible* to put people who are not fighters into a fighting game.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Here's to hoping it'll get a localization, but given the track record of the Jump games being localized, I'm not keeping my hopes high.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
I hope that's not the entire roster. I also want to see some villains on here. Here's to hoping that we see:

-Kenshiro.
-Yusuke Urameshi.
-Gon Freecss.
-Yoh Asakura.
-Yugi Muto (and I mean him using his Shadow Games powers instead of those trading cards).
-Moka Akashiya (because with SJ, it would make this game a sausage fest).
-Pegasus Seiya.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Namco Bandai took polls earlier in the year to see who the JUMP audience wanted in the game. As this is just the first trailer the roster definitely isn't final.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3