• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Second Hunter x Hunter Film to Premiere on December 27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
The HxH franchise is an oddball alright. It's taken them this long to finally start churning out movies when other shounen franchises like Bleach, One Piece, Naruto etc have already been doing that for years.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
Well, better late than never, I suppose.

And the plot sounds interesting, unlike most Shonen films.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
Much better choice for the date. The previous movie had a great opening weekend but pretty poor legs, releasing it in january wasn't a brilliant idea. This time, the movie will benefit from the New Year week legs so it should gross significantly more than its predecessor.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
The HxH franchise is an oddball alright. It's taken them this long to finally start churning out movies when other shounen franchises like Bleach, One Piece, Naruto etc have already been doing that for years.

That's because this series has lasted longer than the last one
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Helius wrote:

That's because this series has lasted longer than the last one

Not to mention it comes out less often due to the constant breaks.
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it doesn't suck. unlike the first awful movie.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Hopefully it doesn't suck. unlike the first awful movie.

I don't know what you're talking about. I saw it in the theaters, and I loved it. Sure, I think they kind of ignored the Phantom Troupe, but it was a ton of fun.
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I expect more failure.
the series is good/ok but phantom rouge was terrible.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why people are hating on The Phantom Rogue.
I thought it was a pretty solid movie and adds to the plot of the TV series unlike most anime movies.

This one sounds interesting as well.
Wonder if this will be considered canon like the first movie?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Not sure why people are hating on The Phantom Rogue.
I thought it was a pretty solid movie and adds to the plot of the TV series unlike most anime movies.

This one sounds interesting as well.
Wonder if this will be considered canon like the first movie?

The only thing in continuity from Phantom Rouge is Kurapika's backstory.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
My personal thoughts on phantom rouge:

spoiler[ If anything I feel disappointment towards this film. Out of the big 3 I only truly enjoy OP and while I love it I will swiftly admit that HxH has the better plot and pacing, not to mention a overall feel it has to it that truly separates itself from the rest. HxH is one of my favorites as well and I had high expectations going in... but got left hanging. First I will say that the film does have some good aspects to it, such as foreshadowing the hold Illumi has on Killua and the fact that I enjoy the Idea of all four characters being together and some of the OST tracks but... That's it.

I can't exactly blame the movie for having bad action persay as this was released during a time when Gon and Kil didn't have much training however their fights at the climax were definitely NOT something I would have expected nor wanted to see from HxH. Kurapika's whole plot with Pairo and thru troupe just felt shoved in there, I already read Kurapika's backstory as chapter 0 so I really didn't appreciate the film taking up a large sum of time going over it again. Lastly Killua, who as basically the main character in this flick mind you, really got on my nerves. I KNOW HxH has ho-yay undertones to it, but they're just that undertones, they practically shoved it in our faces that Gon and Killua were more than buddies, but the most irritating aspect of it was how they made Killua in to this jealous brat over Gon making friends with someone else. Uh... hello? he;s friends with Leorio, Kurapika and zushi too, you jealous of them too? I know there's a audience who eats this stuff up and hey, more power to them, especially considering the way the industry is, but on a personal level this was insanely annoying because they took a well established character and made him into something he isn't JUST for the sake of fanservice. It's not the fact they did this to appease that crowd that pisses me off but the fact that they screwed with the character like this.

Overall I personally didn't enjoy it and was left with a pretty bad taste in my mouth.]

Regardless,

I am going to have a positive outlook on this, considering where the series is now I'm hoping this film is, at the very least an improvement over the last.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping it's better than Phantom Rouge. Most likely I'll be the last movie they'll do. By the it comes out HXH TV would nearing it's end, unless they plan on continue it with fillers....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1