• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-09-15]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Answerman back after the break. Fun article with some entertaining letters (I especially liked the rebuttal to the guy who thought that we were in a dry spell for quality anime).

Interesting rant. Most of the anime on TV here does appear to be of the action variety. I wonder how a slice-of-life/comedy like Azumanga Daioh or a shoujo series like Fruits Basket would fare on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
There's been a big debate regarding YouTube and the many problems therein lately; I won't get into it all here, but suffice to say, expect to see either a major lawsuit or some pretty gigantic changes happening at that site in the near future.

Seriously? Haha, sweet.
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
Seriously? Haha, sweet.

Do you think R.A.Y. had anything to do with this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
It's possible, I suppose, although I never did get any responses, so in the interest of not being egotistical and self-important I would lean toward no.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
...I feel stupid asking this, but as I've only heard a few words here and there about both, I have to ask: are Honey and Clover and Grey's Anatomay really as similar as the writer makes them out to be?
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
It's possible, I suppose, although I never did get any responses, so in the interest of not being egotistical and self-important I would lean toward no.

Screw that. RAY WINS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vikio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
Same question about Honey & Clover vs. Grey's Anatomy as above.
About genres - I'm pretty sure I've seen some Kids' comedy anime on TV. (Tokyo Pig, it was pretty funny) I know that's not as diverse as we'd like, but that means there's two genres of anime being shown, not one. Plus lots of non-fans have of course seen the Ghibli movies, which are in a genre of their own.
The problem is what you call "general public". Do you mean the people that watch Cartoon Network & Adult Swim, or do you mean, like, Fox Five? Cause there's no way Honey and Clover is replacing our Prime Time shows anytime soon.

But nevermind that - Kodocha all the way!!! My favorite weird pre-teen Dramedy! Anime smile I'd love seeing that replace whatever passes for "Boy Meets World" nowadays...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
I liked this rant!

Quote:
I'd LIKE to give hats off to a basic cable network that grows enough stones to see how something besides shonen anime would do on the air.

Paging Kim Manning! Paging Kim Manning! Yo, Kim! You listening?! I'd like to see this too!

On another thread animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=15, I asked about Kim Manning and fanservice. Well, isn't constant Mecha battles a form of fanservice too?
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Well, my theory of why anime on TV is usually action-packed shounen is that if a major TV network (excluding channels like the anime network, etc.) were to show shoujo, mostly only the girls and the guys who care about watching "girl stuff" as long as it's good stuff.

With shounen, and other social stuff, it seems okay for girls to watch boy's shows, but not vice-versa, also many guys don't like strong shoujo themes, and other don't want to admit they do. (Guy who do are awesome)

Although there are many shoujo series that do not fit into the shoujo stereotype, this is probably why some companies only show shounen. Think "Cardcaptors"
Vikio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Let's NOT think Cardcaptors...How about Sailor Moon? Old but classic, considered shoujo, was VERY mainstream.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I liked this rant!

Quote:
I'd LIKE to give hats off to a basic cable network that grows enough stones to see how something besides shonen anime would do on the air.

Paging Kim Manning! Paging Kim Manning! Yo, Kim! You listening?! I'd like to see this too!

On another thread animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=15, I asked about Kim Manning and fanservice. Well, isn't constant Mecha battles a form of fanservice too?

That thread makes me want to see Adult Swim air Eiken.

It'll never happen, but goddamn that would be hilarious.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
Kudos to the rant- Grant makes a fine point. As mainstream as anime seems compared to the VHS fansub yesteryears, the general American public really only knows about 3 things: that violent stuff (the action shows, like what's on Adult Swim), the kiddie stuff (Pokemon and the like), and Ghibli movies. I've always watched drama and shojo anime and thought "gee, this stuff is just as good/deep/compelling, if not moreso than the sitcoms and dramas on primetime TV. It has elements of entertainment and story that generally everyone likes. The sad truth of it all is that Americans are still not willing to take animation seriously, foreign made or not. I think the mainstream is just so used to cartoons being funny or unrealistic, that they aren't ready to relate to 2d characters. And if an animated drama WERE ever to actually air, I can just see cynical critics asking why the show needed to be animated if they could have used real people in the first place.

I hope that one day, the mainstream will be able to accept animation as a totally normal, valid form of entertainment, but it's a looong long ways off. The only way I can imagine that some mainstream female audiences would be interested in an animated drama is if older women began reading manga, and realized that 2d characters are just as compelling as actors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
So youtube just lets people upload episodes and f*****s onto their website?
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
So youtube just lets people upload episodes and f*****s onto their website?

Basically. Because it asks the users to flag illegal content, no one reports it. They usually upload it in parts to get around the 10 min. max video length limit.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
Vikio wrote:
Let's NOT think Cardcaptors...How about Sailor Moon? Old but classic, considered shoujo, was VERY mainstream.

They fought monsters. In miniskirts. Surely one can see what guys would see in that. Still, you'll never see adult swim show something like Ai Yori Aoshi. Hell, they won't even show Love Hina and that's got to be one of the most requested shows. That's one of the things I miss about TechTV, at least they had variety. adult swim would never have shown Lain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6