• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Entertainment Launches Light Novel Imprint

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to ask earlier, but what level of editing (censorship) should be expected with these releases? The one's I'm going for aren't exactly "chaste" series and lately it seems like everyone's starting to freak out over possible backlashes (pointless worry I think.)

Should I expect to buy without regrets or will I have to just sigh and forget it? Not saying all I'm interested in is naughty stuff, but I hate it when companies give in to pressure from extremist groups, especially when those groups haven't even done anything yet.

Also, I'd like to know about this "Border's exclusivity thing" too.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
If they would bring over Suzumiya Haruhi, Gemini Knives and the Kiddy Grade novels I would be one happy bunny.

I didn't know Kiddy Grade had novels. I'd buy those since I enjoyed Kiddy Grade and I'd love more of it and something other than the craptastic Gonzo ending.

Richard J. wrote:

Also, I'd like to know about this "Border's exclusivity thing" too.

Boogiepop Phantom is available exculsively at Borders (and maybe some online shops). That's all there is to it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Boogiepop Phantom is available exculsively at Borders (and maybe some online shops). That's all there is to it.

The novels (and I think the manga, too, not sure) are available only at Borders for six months, and then become widely available after that time. Or at least, that's how it's supposed to work. The problem is, it only applies to Borders stores in the US, UK, and Canada, so Borders stores in Australia and any other country do not receive the books until well after the exclusivity ends. It also does not apply to online purchase via Borders' Amazon site, only to brick-and-mortar locations in the US, UK, and Canada. Furthermore, it seems that non-Borders and non-included Borders retailers do not receive the books once the exclusivity ends, but some months after the six-month period has expired.

So basically, it's a Borders exclusive that excludes many Borders locations and anyone who wishes to buy online, and is also horribly, horribly delayed in getting the books out to other stores and online retailers once the exclusivity is over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I didn't know Kiddy Grade had novels. I'd buy those since I enjoyed Kiddy Grade and I'd love more of it and something other than the craptastic Gonzo ending.

(drifting OT, sorry) There's a few, but they are all based on the series rather than being precursors: a three volume novelisation of the series itself, a two volume spinoff featuring different main characters in the same universe, and two LEs (one, that I have, has a few short stories of the secondary characters from the series and the other I don't know much about). I've listed the basic information like authors and titles on wikipedia (down the right-hand side)

Regarding censorship: I don't think there's likely to be any as the Boogiepop manga has nudity and shows a couple together in bed in one volume.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Forgot to ask earlier, but what level of editing (censorship) should be expected with these releases? The one's I'm going for aren't exactly "chaste" series and lately it seems like everyone's starting to freak out over possible backlashes (pointless worry I think.)

Novels don't carry ratings at all, so there isn't really anything to censor in the first place. But Seven Seas is against censorship as a whole.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Are these going to have that weird Borders exclusivity thing that Boogiepop has?

Boogiepop is the only exclusive that we're doing currently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2