• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, August 19-25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I guess a Terra Formars anime is pretty much inevitable at this point.

Well, at least the resulting flame war will be entertaining.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
I guess a Terra Formars anime is pretty much inevitable at this point.

It's selling about the same as Vagabond and Sangatsu no Lion, both of which are now quite far along and haven't received an anime adaptation, so I'm not sure why you think it's inevitable.

EDIT: Why does Terra Formars not have an encyclopedia entry? Is that part of the reason why the poster above thinks there would be a flame war?

EDIT2: Why the hell doesn't Terra Formars even have a Wikipedia entry? This is bizarre.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Lets go Gantz! End those volumes with a bang!
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

EDIT: Why does Terra Formars not have an encyclopedia entry? Is that part of the reason why the poster above thinks there would be a flame war?

No, it's because of the inevitable comparisons to Attack on Titan
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Really,I heard that manga is a bit racist.I haven't read it so dont take my word for it.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Really,I heard that manga is a bit racist.I haven't read it so don't take my word for it.

It have nothing like racism. It shows tribal(Neanderthal) cockroach-men, showing that the normal cockroaches evolved like humans.
Some people are stupid enough to think that is a demonstration of Tribal black people, when is explicitly told and showed that they are cockroaches.
spoiler[Even if the author was drawing tribal black people I don't understand how showing them exterminating people of multiple nationalities(From All over the world: Africa, Asia, America, Europe and Oceania), and in the worst ways possible, is seen as racism?]
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

The series is more similar to Gantz than Attack on Titan!
The only similar thing with Attack on Titan is the gore and is totally different because While AoT is Giants eating people, Terraformars is humanoid cockroaches, with human size, exterminating humans(not eating). And Terraformars has a Ton more Gore than Attack on Titan!.
pykrete

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I think any manga which sells a lot before getting an anime is going to be compared to Attack on Titan. Some people was expecting Silver Spoon volumes to all appear on the charts this summer.

Quote:
47,132 (down from 47,191) - average per volume (1-9) since the premiere (20 weeks); 12 weeks remaining.

1110370, 275066 - Vol. 11 regular edition, special edition

1596945, 30404 - Vol. 10
1623212, 25712 - Vol. 9

957958, 42949 - Vol. 8
934643, 39662 - Vol. 7
926579 - Vol. 4, lowest anime boost
956787 - Vol. 1, highest anime boost

11845023 - Shingeki 2013 regular edition sales (Oricon)

18m+ - series overall Oricon reported sales, regular edition only
23m+ - series overall reported printed copies

Vol. 11 lost steam more quickly than I had expected. Just about 50k copies in latest comic ranking instead of 100k copies. Looks like most of the regular edition copies sold last week were to new readers. Then again, its special edition did already sold 275k copies.

I wonder if the special edition is counted in overall print numbers or is the 1.85m first print run for V11 just regular edition?
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
These tables need much wider columns.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
It have nothing like racism. It shows tribal(Neanderthal) cockroach-men, showing that the normal cockroaches evolved like humans.
Some people are stupid enough to think that is a demonstration of Tribal black people, when is explicitly told and showed that they are cockroaches.

They're mutant cockroaches who look like the African savages in a 1930s pulp magazine. And yes, that's as racist as Buddy the Gorilla in Space Bros.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
bigivel wrote:

They're mutant cockroaches who look like the African savages in a 1930s pulp magazine. And yes, that's as racist as Buddy the Gorilla in Space Bros.

First - African Tribes aren't savages and they exist even today, so I don't see the relevance of the "look like the African savages in a 1930s pulp magazine"! Are you saying the tribes today don't look like the ones from 1930?

Second - What is important in racism is the bad intent and the harmful impact, and not the depiction. Buddy the Gorilla in Space Bros was an unfortunate depiction of a black guy as a Gorilla(what animal do you think he should be?), but is obvious it wasn't made with bad intention nor it have a harmful impact in the viewers about that fact, so I don't see the problem.

Third - Since African Tribes is part of African Culture(Just like Samurai is part of Japanese culture), using them, in a not derogatory way, isn't racism!

Fourth - Terra Formars isn't depicting African tribes!
Black people faces are not similar from the cockroaches. In fact the cockroaches faces are similar with the Homo Erectus face.
Saying that African people faces are similar with that of Homo Erectus is a huge offense!
The Stone clubs that the Cockroaches use were only found in prehistoric, pre-Homo Sapien excavations. It doesn't exist any tribe that use that utensil!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1