• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Madoka Magica Film's New Ad Aired

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazaking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Hype intensifies.
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
God damn it, Saito Chiwa's voice acting is so good.
Also, SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT!
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
...The new clip just confuses me.
Homura's Soul Gem?
1) Purposely breaking it?
2) With her mouth?
3) Or is that someone else's mouth?

What does it all mean!?

Also, since the subs for the video are messed up and don't completely show up (at least for me):

Homura: "The only one who remembers is me alone."
Kyouko: "Is this (referring to a person or creature) some kind of illusion or something?"
Homura: "Using this roundabout way out/exit... What in the world is your intention!?"
Madoka: "You mustn't [let yourself] be alone."
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Also, since the subs for the video are messed up and don't completely show up (at least for me):

Kyouko: "Is this (referring to a person or creature) some kind of illusion or something?"
Homura: "Using this roundabout way out/exit... What in the world is your intention!?"

The subs aren't broken. It's just not completely subbed. It's just someone typing translations in the comments and centering them. Is it okay if I try to add your translation?
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Just release the movie already. I'm so on board the hype train, I might as well be the driver of it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

The subs aren't broken. It's just not completely subbed. It's just someone typing translations in the comments and centering them. Is it okay if I try to add your translation?

Sure, though my translation is super direct, so I wouldn't call them proper for subtitling. You can re-word them so they're smoother in English, if you like. I'd stick with "way out" over "exit," due to the likelihood of it not referring to an actual exit (despite the possibility) and make sure the last line from Madoka has connotations of "You musn't do that to yourself" so that the actual meaning comes out.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Sure, though my translation is super direct, so I wouldn't call them proper for subtitling. You can re-word them so they're smoother in English, if you like. I'd stick with "way out" over "exit," due to the likelihood of it not referring to an actual exit (despite the possibility) and make sure the last line from Madoka has connotations of "You musn't do that to yourself" so that the actual meaning comes out.

Okay, I added your translation. I hope I picked a suitable wording for Madoka's line and didn't mess up the timing horribly or anything. I didn't mess with the other lines much on account of barely knowing enough Japanese to time the subs.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Homura's Soul Gem?
2) With her mouth?

What does it all mean!?

Or, is it even a mouth to begin with? I thought it was a mouth too, but watching that part of the clip a few more times, I'm thinking it could actually be a hand crushing it, with the animation showing the back of a clenching fist. Either way-- and Aoki Ume's fairly simple character designs don't do us any favors here Laughing-- there's too little definition in the features to tell what's exactly crushing the soul gem.

The fact that we're seeing a soul gem being crushed is still confusing in of itself, like you said. Kinda ballsy on the production team's part, actually, since everyone that's watched the series knows the implications of what a crushed soul gem signifies. Could the imagery here be serving a more metaphorical purpose here? Maybe soul gems in this movie's universe, post-TV series, don't hold quite the same properties that they used to before, and thus the consequences of crushing a soul gem are different, if not less dire this time around? Looking more forward to this, especially since it only just now hit me that it'll premiere less than two months from now. I hope this movie will reach St. Louis when this makes the rounds in the States, even though it'd be without precedent considering that the first two movies didn't show here....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Okay, I added your translation. I hope I picked a suitable wording for Madoka's line and didn't mess up the timing horribly or anything. I didn't mess with the other lines much on account of barely knowing enough Japanese to time the subs.

Perfect. I'm better at translating directly (when I don't rush) than I am at finding ways to interpret it smoothly for a Western audience, partially because of how I feel about translating in general, so... your line works fine. The timing is fine, too. Thanks. =3

Animerican14 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Homura's Soul Gem?
2) With her mouth?

What does it all mean!?

Or, is it even a mouth to begin with? I thought it was a mouth too, but watching that part of the clip a few more times, I'm thinking it could actually be a hand crushing it, with the animation showing the back of a clenching fist. Either way-- and Aoki Ume's fairly simple character designs don't do us any favors here Laughing-- there's too little definition in the features to tell what's exactly crushing the soul gem.

The fact that we're seeing a soul gem being crushed is still confusing in of itself, like you said. Kinda ballsy on the production team's part, actually, since everyone that's watched the series knows the implications of what a crushed soul gem signifies. Could the imagery here be serving a more metaphorical purpose here? Maybe soul gems in this movie's universe, post-TV series, don't hold quite the same properties that they used to before, and thus the consequences of crushing a soul gem are different, if not less dire this time around? Looking more forward to this, especially since it only just now hit me that it'll premiere less than two months from now. I hope this movie will reach St. Louis when this makes the rounds in the States, even though it'd be without precedent considering that the first two movies didn't show here....

I can't see it as a hand yet, but it DOES look like an awkward mouth-crushing, too, so I feel blank right now.
I don't think Urobuchi would want to minimize the consequences of crushing a soul gem, but if you look closely, the background is InuCurry style. InuCurry style wasn't limited to just Witch (or in this case, Nightmare) barriers. It was also used for a few metaphorical situations in Madoka (and nearly always used for metaphorical visuals in the Monogatari series). So it may be metaphorical. That said, the way it's shown seems to point to more impact in the scene, which wouldn't seem AS plausible for a metaphorical scene.

Regardless, this movie definitely seems to be "the end." Or rather, while the series ended with the attitude that spoiler[Homura fights on,] the movie trailers seem to point to a part of the movie's focus being spoiler[the point where Homura can finally let go of her fight and move on.] Meaning, spoiler[she will either have her Soul Gem destroyed (seemingly unfortunate consequences--unless there's a better meaning to it), she will finally be taken into Madoka's embrace (also hinted by Madoka's lines in previous and current trailers), or she will continue living on, but without the necessity to continue fighting (either re-writing the laws again in some form, or somehow shoving Homura out of the cycle by way of some form of magic).] As to what will happen, it's anyone's guess. In the end, the trailers are ALL confusing, thanks to contradictions between them and the TV show. We're just going to have to see it for ourselves. And I swear... if anyone spoils me...
kikis607

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
OMG OMG OMG, I can't wait no more, just bought the BlueRays of the complete series to prepare for the movies, sadly I live in germany and a release hasn't been announced yet in my country, I wouldn't mind traveling to France for it, I think it'll have french subs though so it might not be worth it Sad lucky americans Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1