• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Kino's Journey I like Kino disposition, calm and sympathetic, a wonderful and insightful story. The animation is low-key. I was really enjoying this anime.

My Neighbor Totoro The animation is great, good story, and sympathetic characters. I don’t like family anime or films but this was great, and convinced me to watch more family anime.

Revolutionary Girl Utena unique anime, with very good character development, and I like Touga, he is such a lovable rogue Rolling Eyes

Fantastic Children
Story is really great, at the beginning maybe slow but after a few episodes, I couldn't stop watching. Mizu no Madoromi is the best ending song I have ever heard, of course Voyage is also handsome.

Rurouni Kenshin: Reminiscence dark and dramatic story, but I like it. It hadn't had stupid and unfunny jokes, like TV series.

Serial Experiments Lain one of the first anime that I saw, and I was really impressed I can watch it many times, otherwise then with Sailor Moon. I have a sentimental feeling for Sailor Moon, but I don’t think I will be able to watch it once more. Not only because it’s long but it has many holes in the story.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo art was very interesting, the story is not so good as in book, but still really good, and Haydee dress when she went into the opera house was amazing.

The Twelve Kingdoms some politics, very good character development, good story but such a pity it ended so quickly.

Worst 5 anime:

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing overpowered gundams, Relena and five stand-offishness boys. I don't know how I could watch it.

Shuffle! cute girls is something i hate very much.

My-HiME ending Mad spoiler[a few last episodes was too pathetic for me, and at the end everybody magically coma back to life Confused]

Chobits and Elfen Lied I hate Chii and i hate her clone Nyuu as well. Two of them behaved like two year old children, that's why Hideki gives an impression of a paedophile. What's about bloody harem anime. I couldn’t see anything interesting in Elfen Lied it was as interesting as watching paint dry.

Last edited by Aylinn on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:55 am; edited 4 times in total
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

1) Inu Yasha - This is a love/hate relationship for me. I wanted the darn thing over with so I can see the ending, which sucked big time! There were too many filler episodes and not enough concluding of the original storyline!

My sentiment exactly, I think the biggest problem with the anime is the onslaught of fillers that took place prior to the shichinin-tai arc -which is my favorite arc in the series that hailed Bankotsu as one of my favorite characters in anime- I think Inuyasha and the other animes with 100+ episodes should've followed DBZ] example prior to the Buu saga and just expanded on the manga chapters instead of making independednt filler episodes. I also HATE Kagome, I would've liked the series better if Kikyou-sama was the heroine instead of that self-righteous, control-freak bitch.

BTW, the Inuyasha manga is still ongoing and last time I heard, it's going to end in March or something I also heard that Sunrise is intending to continue the anime after the manga ends.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Brand new to forums but not ANN as a whole but I'll start by typing my likes and don'ts so you guys can know more about my tastes Very Happy

My top 5:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist - This is how Storytelling should be told, everything from the VA, to the music is perfect. I love its ability to swtich from laugh out funny to very dramatic in a dime and off course the characters are really the driving force of the show, they are so well written that you fall in love with them and want to share a little bit of their burden. Favorite Character: Greed

2. Rurouni Kenshin - I love epics and I love History, RK has both with tons of actions, the VA is splendid and the music is probably one of my favorites of any show around. Favorite Character: Saito or Hiko

3. Cowboy Bebop - Everything from Music to characters to the small details is made of win Anime smile, CB IMO is the prime examplo on how anime should be. Favorite Character: Spike

4. Naruto - Really good story with strong characters and morals, the music is one of my favorites of all my OST'S, Great characters in the sense that they are easy to interact with, (Just look at my avatar Razz ) Favorite Character: Tsunade

5. Gundam Seed + Seed Destiny - Great Drama about morality, Sure it gets its bash from most of you but I really like how the characters evolved throughout the show and you can really see the effects that War can have on people. The Music is spectacular and so is the VA. Favorite Character: Murrue and Athrun

My 5 worst V_V I really don't know, I guess I could say I don't dislike some shows but rather don't really watch them:

1. Crest/Banner of the Stars - Did not like anything about that series

2. One Piece - I never really got in to it, I've tried watching it but its just not really my genre. I can watch it but I'm not really a fan.

3. Boogiebop Phantom - Same as Banner, just couldn't stand it

4. Reign: The Conqueror - WAAAY to sci-fi for my tastes, I mean they really had a good subject to explor with.

5. I guess I can't think of a 5th one V_V what can I say, I love most of the anime I watch Razz
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
1. Crest/Banner of the Stars - Did not like anything about that series

3. Boogiebop Phantom - Same as Banner, just couldn't stand it

So do you mind putting real effort into telling us why you tout tripe like Gundam SEED Destiny as "great drama about morality in war and one helluva character study," all while so readily condemning two far more shining examples of such? I really don't appreciate when people don't give half-decent reasons (or as in your case, don't give reasons at all), especially when—in all complete honesty—your choices don't make a lick of sense.

2. One Piece - I never really got in to it, I've tried watching it but its just not really my genre. I can watch it but I'm not really a fan.

Again, you're not telling us a single reason, but are trying to cover up your refusal to give real explanation with fluff.

4. Reign: The Conqueror - WAAAY to sci-fi for my tastes,

This is a bit of a confusing statement when two of your favorites are space-traveling tales of robots and laser guns and hyperjump gates. Clarify, please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
Hmm... let's see here...I'll omit movies, since I've always believed it's unfair to compare movies to TV shows, due to differences in length and budget.

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - I am very glad to have first discovered this from an AMV ("Ordained from Above" from Many Lemon Studios, same guys who did Narutrix), and started watching it without knowing about the hype. It totally blew me away all the more because if it. ^_^ I loved Haruhi's character (reminds me a bit of Dio of Last Exile), and Kyon's narration was top-notch. Animation quality, music, and voice acting was all among the best I've ever seen/heard. I'm also one of the people who loved the messed-up order, as it was an ingenious way to turn a front-heavy story into a proper one with a rise and climax in the last 5 episodes. Since watching it, I have ravenously devoured Baka-Tsuki's translation project for the novels. I laugh at all the nay-sayers who think this series has exhausted its story potential for a second season, as I liked volumes 4 and 5 even more than the story of the first season...

2. Last Exile - What first caught my attention was the stunning visuals. Excellent use of CGI, unlike say F/SN lol. The music was beautiful too. The many chess references also intrigued me greatly. Then as I got into it I fell in love with the world portrayed. Not only is it breathtaking to behold, it was quite fascinating to figure out how Prestel is shaped and how it works. I absolutely loved the World War I feel of the anime, with people still using muskets and cannons and stuff. The airship battle in episode 12 just sealed the deal for me. The characters were pretty interesting, with consistant character development, and I found Dio simply hilarious. Finally, this is an anime that's not afraid to kill off people, since it is a war. It added a tragic, yet endearing, aspect to it.

3. Azumanga Daioh - Once again, I discovered this anime after watching an AMV ("The Wizard of Ozaka"). Don't watch this late at night in your college dorm after quiet hours when your roommate is trying to get work done/sleep... This is a very funny yet simple series with adorable characters and silly quirks. Like everyone else before me, I have to mention just how awesome Osaka is. ^_^ This was the anime that also showed me just how much I like school comedies. (I really should check out School Rumble sometime, but I keep putting it off)

4. Kanon 2006 - I normally dislike and avoid shows centered around romantic drama, especially harem romances based off h-games. But I decided to watch this title solely because of Kyoto Animation and Tomokazu Sugita. And wow, I never expected KyoAni to be good enough to actually make me enjoy such a story, but their execution is utterly dazzling. I had quite a few laughs from some of the earlier episodes, but that only made it all the more painful when the story took a tragic turn. The last several episodes were amazingly consistant in high-quality delivery, even if it did leave me teary-eyed. Luckily, KyoAni's next work is a comedy (Lucky Star), so I guess that'll help me recover from the depression this series may cause. Kudos to KyoAni for playing with my heart like that.

5. Mushishi - "High Quality" is the phrase I would use to describe this piece of art. It's like watching a collection of 23-minute Miyazaki films. It's episodic, but doesn't seem to get dull easily at all. This is the closest to fine art I've ever seen for an anime.

6. Shakugan no Shana - Er, another anime I discovered after first watching an AMV ("Project Trinity - Christian Rock AMV Project"). I select this one mostly for its fantastic character development, as Shana was one of the finest examples of character development I could think of. Plus, melon bread rocks. :P Animation, music, and voice actor quality was also high. The series managed to keep a fairly consistant momentum throughout IMHO, although the ending is admittedly open-ended. I wonder how the movie will capitalize on this, and if there will be a second season...

7. R.O.D. - I'm just gonna lump the TV show and the OVA together here. You have to admit, using paper as a weapon is just plain awesome, especially since I was interested in origami to begin with. ^_^ How I wish I could be a paper-user... er, the series also had several memorable characters. I personally liked Anita King's fiery personality. Anyway, this is one of the very few anime on my list that I chose for its action.

8. Higurashi no Naku Koroni - This series is a mix of polar opposites for me. I don't like the animation, but the music (especially the opening) is great. The characters annoyed me at times, but the plot drove it along and kept me hooked. What really tipped the scales in its favor and convinced me to add this to the list is the actual story behind everything, through the TIPS and 4th answer arc translations. I am amazed at just how incredibly deep and complex the plot is. Currently sits at 8th place due to anticipation for the already announced second season, which I hope will do justice to the final 2 answer arcs.

9. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! - I confess, I dislike most mecha anime. I still haven't seen the original FMP or FMP:TSR. But I found this series to be quite creative and interesting for a school comedy (plus it didn't really have mecha, unless you count Bonta-kun). Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori have absolutely wonderful chemistry. I don't mind the episodic feel at all.

10. Utawarerumono - For appealing to the RPG fan in me, and for having a wonderful cast of characters. The fact that I can play as each of these characters in the Uta-warriors mini-game earns it extra points. Plus I love the Ainu settings of the show, and the OP, which imitates oriental music.

There are a lot of anime I wish to still check out, which include: Death Note, Ouran High School Host Club, Code Geass, School Rumble, and Welcome to the NHK!. Perhaps my list will change in the not-too-distant future?

K, now for some least favorites...

1. The Soultaker - I have absolutely no clue what possessed me to watch this show, but I somehow made it to the last episode. The story didn't make much sense, the fight scenes were hard to make out, and I wasn't impressed with the animation. Seriously a bleh title.

2. Final Fantasy Unlimited - I love Final Fantasy. I was disappointed to find that this just didn't live up to the title. The only cool part was watching summon spells get animated, plus Kage's gun transforming. I also liked Shiroi Kumo as a character, but that was it. This show is anything but unlimited. Even the animation felt sub-par. At least Advent Children had phenominal animation.

3. Naruto Fillers - A perfect example of an otherwise decent show gone totally down the drain. One and a half years of fillers made me very, very unhappy. I know fillers aren't allowed to have much character development or plot advancement, but the series should have seriously just taken a hiatus instead of churning out junk. It's got some of the stupidest stories I've ever heard too, who's writing this trash?

4. Duel Masters - OK, do we seriously need another show about playing cards? I'll give Yu-gi-oh some leeway since it was kinda novel for a bit, but this is just terrible. Its jokes made me cringe more than laugh, and the CGI gets extremely repetitive. I can't totally hate Wizards of the Coast, though since I like M:tG. Now, if M:tG were turned into an anime, I might be mildly interested...

5. Gundam series in general - I'm not fond of giant mecha, and to the best of my knowledge I have yet to see a Shonen lead male that I actually liked. In fact, I downright dislike most of them, and Gundam is a strong example of it. Some series in this franchise took a really bad "monster of the week" episodic turn, which I found extremely irritating. At least Mushishi is inventive and original when it comes to such a format.

Last edited by Mirrinus on Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Kalvarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
My top 10

1. Ai Yori Aoshi - Love the characters and how the main girl is like the perfect bride ever. didn't like the way it ended tho or the fact that it didn't end.
2. Please Teacher - Teacher student relationship is very interesting to me. i liked the romance and the way the little sister wanted to kill the main character.
3. My Hime - a very dramatic anime. i like the whole "summon monsters" theme. and the very face paced ending.
4. Bleach - So many good characters. Swords have such variety. and the story rock.
5. Cowboy Bebop - epic anime. spike is the best male character ever. ending was very good as well.
6. Twelve Kingdoms - the complexity of this series is really what drew me in. i liked the fact that the main character had such a huge turn in her personality(for the Good)
7. Full Metal Panic (All Series) - Souske is hilarious. always causing so much trouble. The mech disigns are awsome as well.
8. Samurai X - Great story. Animation is very well done. i always liked the Kenshin series but they way this was done just blows it right out of the water.
9. Mahoromatic - super android maid, another romance comedy that i enjoy (Cant get enough of them). it had a nice ending as well (More than i can say for alot of series.)
10. DBZ - My first ever anime series that i watch. sure its dragged out and can get boring. unlike alot of people i enjoy insanely super powered beings just beating the crap out of each other and destroying everything around them.

5 Worst

1. Naruto (Fillers only) - no point to the story what so ever. total watse of time
2. Excel Saga - dumb. pure idiocy
3. .Hack//Sign - i just didn't get into it much. i found myself drifting off to sleep.
4. Big O - dumb story and horrible mechs. only good thing was the android maid girl.
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion - didn't see what the big deal was. every character was a total baby and seemed to mope about. the main character was very annoying and i wished he would have died in the first episode. only good character was Rei. Oh and the ending was horrible. i got confused and then everyone dies.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
[I didn't read the thread or the forum rules. I am an idiot.]
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. The Soultaker - I have absolutely no clue what possessed me to watch this show, but I somehow made it to the last episode. The story didn't make much sense, the fight scenes were hard to make out, and I wasn't impressed with the animation. Seriously a bleh title.

Watch it again with some more people, trust me, if you can keep up with the CONSTANT plot twists and weird direction/angles, it's a spectacular anime.

Here's Me:

1. Evangelion What needs to be said, I hate the main character and it's still my favorite show, what does that tell you?

2. Trigun Probably my favorite main character, great villian, great music. Everything but the animation to me is second to none.

3. Cowboy Bebop Just great all around.

4. Full Metal Panic Fummoffu Funniest anime ever made. Period.

5. Soultaker Completely original, tons of plot twists, held my attention more than any other anime I think.

WORST:

1. Saikano Very original and different. But it was just so f'n depressing, I don't understand why anyone would feel the need to make such a thing. Having death and depression are okay because they are natural elements of life. But litterally no happiness, EVER... sorry, that's not believable, it's just irritating.

2. Bakuretsu Hunters Very generic in almost all ways, and the ending didn't make any sense.

3. Azumanga Daioh I know I'm gonna catch some heat from this one. But it's just childish and boring to me. The only real humor I found in it was the pedophile teacher.

4. Naruto Don't understand people's attraction to this anime. It has the same formula almost every episode, the characters are generic, and the action is predictable. It's like a watered down childish ninja scroll.

5. Dagger of Kamui Don't ever see this movie. It's almost 3 hours long and basically nothing gets accomplished, I still don't understand the point of that movie to this day.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
[I didn't read the thread or the forum rules. I am an idiot.]

Who ever keeps editing my post needs to stop. Just remove it, just because I wasn't descriptive enough doesn't make me an idiot.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Who ever keeps editing my post needs to stop. Just remove it, just because I wasn't descriptive enough doesn't make me an idiot.

"Not descriptive enough?" You weren't descriptive AT ALL. You just listed titles and nothing more, and by your language in this post, you KNOW better and simply opt to ignore the rules as if they somehow don't apply to you. I have zero sympathy for your type, so either follow the rules like you ought to or live with the comments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Amasa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
SinnerTim wrote:

WORST:

1. Saikano Very original and different. But it was just so f'n depressing, I don't understand why anyone would feel the need to make such a thing. Having death and depression are okay because they are natural elements of life. But litterally no happiness, EVER... sorry, that's not believable, it's just irritating.

3. Azumanga Daioh I know I'm gonna catch some heat from this one. But it's just childish and boring to me. The only real humor I found in it was the pedophile teacher.

4. Naruto Don't understand people's attraction to this anime. It has the same formula almost every episode, the characters are generic, and the action is predictable. It's like a watered down childish ninja scroll.

Yay! Someone else who hates SaiKano. I keep seeing it in people's favourites and I just don't understand... I'm all for emotional anime and I love the romance genre more than anything else, but I could not relate to the characters at all and I found the delicateness of the show quite pathetic. I think SaiKano is my only Worst Ever rated anime.

Azumanga Daioh on the other hand happens to be my favourite series of all time. I've often wondered how someone, anyone, could dislike this show. It epitomizes simplicity and innocence and should bring anyone, no matter what mood they're in, to tears simply by the raw cuteness and humour of the carefree teenagers. Every episode has that nostalgic feeling in it and all the characters, music, actors and scenery just emit happiness and should put a smile on anyone's face.

And I agree with you on Naruto, it's so generic in every way and painfully repetitive.

[edit:] Bah! How can you like FMP:Fumoffu and not Azumanga?!?
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny and didn't think I would see something like that happen on here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Bah! How can you like FMP:Fumoffu and not Azumanga?!?

lol, I agree. I saw Fumoffu after Azumanga, and it was partly BECAUSE of Azumanga that I enjoyed Fumoffu (well, that and SuzuHaru).
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bah! How can you like FMP:Fumoffu and not Azumanga?!?

Characters, plain and simple, the odd combination of characters is my favorite thing about FMP. My favorite of the FMP: Fumoffu series are Sagara and Kurz Weber. I don't remember a crazy military, socially inept, lunatic in Azumanga. I also don't remember an american pervert/pimp in azumanga either. Azumanga is just extremely generic and boring to me, it might be because I saw it long after I started watching anime, and I'd already seen shows similar to it before. Either way it just doesn't do anything for me.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
SinnerTim wrote:
I don't remember a crazy military, socially inept, lunatic in Azumanga. I also don't remember an american pervert/pimp in azumanga either.

Tomo and Yukari-sensei are crazy, socially inept lunatics. They just don't carry guns, that's all. But Yukari-sensei's driving is enough to kill plenty of people anyway.

Er, Kimura-sensei sorta fits the second description. Okay, so he's not American or a pimp...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 50 of 122