• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed Destiny Coming to YTV

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolGAL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow there are two things that shock about this aritical That its finally premering in Canada and Its premering on My Birthday. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AnimeMajor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
So what happens to Eureka 7?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're getting rid of a perfectly wonderful anime that's just starting to get involved to air Gundam Seed Destiny?!?!?

I seriously hope they'll (meaning YTV) rethink the error of their ways and make sure that Eureka 7 stays on air and alive, for all us fans.
Ein007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
If Gundam Seed Destiny is coming out in Canada, when is the release for it in the United States then.
Gregole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure they will replace InuYasha and not Eureka 7 and maybe change a few timeslots.
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Woah, I'm surprised by the fact that GSD is only premiering in March. The english dub version has already finished airing in Singapore and is currently on it's rerun; I had assumed the show had already aired in the US/Canada.

Good, now I can order the dub DVDs soon. They only have the Japanese version here with english subtitles. I want both Cool
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMajor wrote:
So what happens to Eureka 7?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're getting rid of a perfectly wonderful anime that's just starting to get involved to air Gundam Seed Destiny?!?!?

I seriously hope they'll (meaning YTV) rethink the error of their ways and make sure that Eureka 7 stays on air and alive, for all us fans.

Okay, calm down buddy...I'm pretty sure they won't "remove" Eureka 7 for that show. It just a little time shift to a later timeslot that's all, roughly 30 mins later...or should I say 45 mins later...depending on how they're going to get rid of the DUMMEST SHOW EVER (aka Thumb Wrestling Federation).
NamaeX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Better the news comes out now, late as it is, than never.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Ein007 wrote:
If Gundam Seed Destiny is coming out in Canada, when is the release for it in the United States then.

There isn't a US release. I believe Cartoon Network already said that they have no interest in airing any more of SEED (or really Gundam at all even). Not surprising, considering how bad the ratings were for the first one. I can't think of another mainstream network that would want to pick up the series either, so it'll probably never happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
So YTV gets Gundam SEED Destiny, eh? Ouch. Canada...I'm...I'm sorry you have to see that. It'll be a painful experience indeed, being subjected to such a torturous horror as to have...that...on your airwaves.

Yeah, I take every opportunity I can to rip into the show. Hey, it's not like it doesn't deserve it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blanko4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
So YTV gets Gundam SEED Destiny, eh? Ouch. Canada...I'm...I'm sorry you have to see that. It'll be a painful experience indeed, being subjected to such a torturous horror as to have...that...on your airwaves.

Yeah, I take every opportunity I can to rip into the show. Hey, it's not like it doesn't deserve it.

If SEED Destiny flops, at least I have the SEED Astray manga to sustain me and help keep an interest in Gundam. Helped me get over the final two episodes of SEED. Failing that, there's always the boxset of the 1st half of Gundam Wing.

Well, whether it's bad or not, it's about time they're airing it. Time to see what Canada thinks of SEED Destiny.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
coolGAL wrote:
Wow there are two things that shock about this aritical That its finally premering in Canada and Its premering on My Birthday. Very Happy

I think I'm having deja vu; there was a topic I posted in before that was wholly negative about something like GSD and yet the first post was oddly positive. o.O;

Anyway, Canada has my condolences; I've been told Gundam is big there, but is Gundam's brand-name enough to support GSD? I highly doubt E7 will be shelved for the title, though; that would only grind salt into Canada's open wound.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
As horrible as GSD is, it is significant in that it's the first anime series in recent memory that YTV has picked up that hasn't already aired on Cartoon Network. It tells quite a bit about how different the TV market is up here for anime.

Like it or not, GSD is probably going to do very well, and at the very least I hope it's the first step towards YTV picking up shows that are more in tune with their own audience rather than Adult Swim's.

Gregole wrote:
I'm pretty sure they will replace InuYasha and not Eureka 7 and maybe change a few timeslots.

That's what I'm hoping. Unfortunately, YTV doesn't have the best track record for logical scheduling. They may often slot a show in without thinking too hard about where to put the show it's replacing. I just hope they have the sense to either can Inuyasha or, better yet, put it on at 11:00pm so we don' t have to deal with Monster Warriors anymore.

Hopefully E7 will be moved to 10pm. I just hope it doesn't end up at 10:30pm, because then it would be first on the chopping block if another CanCon purge comes around...

Kibamaru wrote:
Woah, I'm surprised by the fact that GSD is only premiering in March. The english dub version has already finished airing in Singapore and is currently on it's rerun; I had assumed the show had already aired in the US/Canada.

Good, now I can order the dub DVDs soon. They only have the Japanese version here with english subtitles. I want both Cool

The first six DVDs are already out.
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

It wasn't that bad, mind you it was nowhere near as good as it should have been.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quote
NinjaUmbreon wrote:
It wasn't that bad,

Wasn't that bad? The story was blatantly rewritten mid-series to cater to whining fangirls, character development would sporadically stop or turn on a dime for no other reason than to pimp a character's mobile suit, the story blatantly rehashed the first SEED, the animation was horrific, and the amount of retconning that's been done in only the last eighteen months with no rhyme or reason has been staggering.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. Gundam SEED Destiny redefines the term "trainwreck" in every aspect, and is a living example of how not to write a television series. Or really, how not to write anything, period. Main characters are dropped without provocation, supporting characters are completely re-written on a whim, good guys are made to be grossly overpowered to the point that there's really no interest in their inevitable victory, there's...really no discernable villain to be had (given that the script flip flops between making Djibril a main baddie and a secondary toadie, and Gilbert...really was not defined at all save for a haphazrdly spun up "generic evil plan" and an ill-explained proclamation by Deus Ex Machina Clyne that "he's bad"), and the story spontaneously drags in places instead of using that valuable time to really develop the plot. I mean the Minerva was stuck ambling mindlessly in the Indian Ocean for what, twenty episodes? And barely five episodes from the conclusion we're given a flashback episode (not five episodes separate from another flashback episode) and two Meer-centric episodes, all in a row. And don't even get me started on Destiny's treatment of returning SEED characters. The living embodiment of gross inconsistency, every last one of them.

Yeah, Destiny wasn't that bad, it was so much worse. After the first five episodes, it ceased to even be coherent, much less tolerable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
It's likely this shuffling is due to FMA dropping out of the 10pm slot - only three episodes to go, I think, which would take us to March. Maybe they'll move Eureka 7 to the 10pm slot - I would think they want to keep Bleach at 10:30pm where it has been... And keep InuYasha reruns at 9pm. Pure speculation of course, for all I know they are gonna start FMA reruns which would be boring.

I've never seen any Gundam and I was hoping for an opportunity to see some, but sounds like this is the worst possible place to start...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3