• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kokoro Connect's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
No new people as the main characters, but I like the casting choice here. So long as Greg wasn't told to use his whiny voice I have no problems with this
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
First, I would not classify Kokoro Connect as a teen comedy. I do not like Greg Ayers as the lead. I wanted to try this dub but Ayers' presence has turned me away. Sorry Sentai; you have to stop giving Greg "annoying voice" Ayers leads if you want me to try listening to your already shitty dubs.

By the way, I think Monica Rial and Brittney Karbowski are great choice for their respective roles. And before anyone starts saying that I hate dubs, they are my preferred choice to watch anime if they are good (especially for series with more than 20 episodes). I simply cannot trust Sentai dubs because they tend to be lazily done and the cast choices are questionable.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Are they REALLY casting the two worst VAs as the male leads? You've got to be joking, Sentai... having just one of them would be bad enough, but BOTH of them? AND Chris Ayres is directing it, meaning there's a good chance that full honorifics will further propel this dub into the "completely unbearable" realm of dubs? ... such a shame.

Why do they continue to do stuff like this? Do they want to follow ADV to the grave?

I was really hoping for Chuunibyou to get a dub, but after this long streak of bottom-barrel dubbing since their mediocre handling of Clannad, I don't know if that would turn out well.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
The cast looks and sounds pretty solid. I watched a bit of the dub on TAN and I'm liking what I hear so far. I wasn't able to get into this show while it was simulcast, but I'm finding it more enjoyable in English.

I like Greg Ayres in the lead, though he's one of those voice actors I've never understood why some people hate him so much. There isn't a lot of variety to chose from when it comes to younger sounding guys, especially given that most anime feature teenagers as their main characters. He's a decent actor and unlike so many anime VA's, he's a genuinely nice guy. I've worked several cons where he was a guest and he always treated everyone well, including guests. He may not be the best actor in the world, but he does a respectable job in most of his roles and his voice certainly isn't as annoying as Vic Mignogna's or Todd Haberkorn's.

I look forward to watching the rest of the show and OVAs, when they are released.
Tr1ckR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
So long as Greg wasn't told to use his whiny voice I have no problems with this

angelmcazares wrote:
I do not like Greg Ayers as the lead. I wanted to try this dub but Ayers' presence has turned me away.

This. I really hate his voice for some reason. Well at first i liked it, but after hearing the same voice in different anime over and over and over again it got really irritating.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I simply cannot trust Sentai dubs because they tend to be lazily done and the cast choices are questionable.

MarthKoopa wrote:
AND Chris Ayres is directing it, meaning there's a good chance that full honorifics will further propel this dub into the "completely unbearable" realm of dubs? ... such a shame.

It always seems to be hit or miss, with far too many misses. It's come to a point where I need to pay attention to the ADR director before I decide how I want to watch it. At the very least, they need to teach or make sure their directors (if not their actors) know how to properly pronounce Japanese, so they can fix whatever they keep in Japanese. I checked out Medaka Box on TAN and could not comprehend a Japanese word Andrew Love (Zenkichi, and I think miscast) was using to describe one of Medaka's special traits. I had to switch over to Japanese to hear that the word "tsundere" was completely butchered!

Tsun (like sun with a T) - druh...

Last edited by Asrialys on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I checked out Medaka Box on TAN and could not comprehend a Japanese word Andrew Love (Zenkichi, and I think miscast) was using to describe one of Medaka's special traits. I had to switch over to Japanese to hear that the word "tsundere" was completely butchered!

I would have expected them to go with "sun dear"... but that sounds absolutely dreadful and I really need to see a clip of this. I'll never watch the show but I really want to hear Andrew completely mess up some pronunciation.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
I checked out Medaka Box on TAN and could not comprehend a Japanese word Andrew Love (Zenkichi, and I think miscast) was using to describe one of Medaka's special traits. I had to switch over to Japanese to hear that the word "tsundere" was completely butchered!

I would have expected them to go with "sun dear"... but that sounds absolutely dreadful and I really need to see a clip of this. I'll never watch the show but I really want to hear Andrew completely mess up some pronunciation.

Assuming you're not locked out by region, you can view it for free since it's in episode 1. If you'd like to see for yourself it's at around 23:00.

After listening to it again, the "druh" was actually a "dreh". Or maybe "dure", where the D has a bit of a J sound. So...I suppose it's a tiny bit closer from how I first described it...
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
Funny that I hear so much of these "I hate specific voice actor" from anime fans, but never from American cartoon fans. Makes anime fans look a lot more hostile and mean-spirited.

Do anime fans think they're supposed to dislike voice actors the way people tend to dislike certain celebrity actors? I thought the idea was most voice actors are generally good at what they do because unlike in the on-camera world, an actor's name (or looks) is not being used to sell the product.

MarthKoopa wrote:
Asrialys wrote:

Funny that Japanese voice actors often mispronounce English words. If you get annoyed at someone in the real world for pronouncing "karaoke" or "karate" different than the way it's pronounced in Japanese, they'll think you're crazy . . .
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote
I think I've come to accept Sentai dubs by thinking of them more or less as the anime equivalent of summer stock theatre: the same 10-or-so actors being slotted into the needed parts as best they can fit.

And that's fine for the casual viewer who's only going to see one or two Sentai shows, but a season ticket patron to the Sentai Summer Stock Theatre will start to recognize distinct actors after a few shows, and then it can be a distraction (e.g., Andrew Love plays David Matranga's father-in-law in Clannad After Story, but they're classmates in Angel Beats!).
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
If you're worried about Greg Ayres in the lead role like I was you should stay far, far away from this dub. I saw the first episode and I can say with confidence that the casting choices are just as terrible as they sound. Monica Rial is good, but pretty much everything else about the dub isn't.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Luci Christian and Monica Rial are two of my favorite female voice actors of all time, and Emily Neves can either be great or meh (it usually depends on who's directing), but Greg Ayres? Seriously? I mean, he's an okay actor, but that voice can get REEEEEEEEAAAALLY irritating. Was their no one else Chris could cast as Taichi? I haven't heard good things about Clint either. Combine with them (apparently) keeping honorifics and other Japanese words and you can see why I'm extremely hesitant to listen to this dub.

Plus, Sentai's doing it. Even the best voice actors can turn in lousy performances when it's a Sentai dub. Sad
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I know at lot of ya'll don't like the idea of Greg Ayres being the lead role and I respect that, but I think he'll do great! I've actually had the pleasure of meeting him in person at a con a year or two ago, and he's a total sweetheart! I'm totally going to support him in this! (That is I'll try a few episodes in English). But yeah, I'm excited, Korokoro connect is a great anime, and I'm glad it's getting an English dub! And congrats on getting the lead role Mr. Greg! Very Happy
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I think that just because Greg Ayers is a nice person, it does not mean that we cannot criticize his work. I do not have anything against Ayers personally, but I do not like his voice. He is good in small roles (where we do not have to hear much from him). But other than BECK, he has not delivered to me as a lead.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Assuming you're not locked out by region, you can view it for free since it's in episode 1. If you'd like to see for yourself it's at around 23:00.

After listening to it again, the "druh" was actually a "dreh". Or maybe "dure", where the D has a bit of a J sound. So...I suppose it's a tiny bit closer from how I first described it...

I just watched that part and it seemed... pretty good. He stuttered on the "tsun" and then did "de re".

He actually did it fairly well and now I'm considering trying the whole show, because I've always wanted to see Shelley in more lead roles.

Though I some some obvious lip-flap issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3