• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Higurashi: When They Cry Visual Novel 'Greenlit' for Steam

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Ugly art and zero gameplay.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that they're working so hard to get Higurashi out there!
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:

Expecting AAA budget art and some gameplay from a doujinshi visual novel... this is something else.

This visual novel more than makes up for it with brilliant story and amazing music.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
The original art is ugly, but there are ways to address that if you look for them. The story is better handled than in the anime series though, even coming from someone like me that generally liked the show, so it's good that more people will potentially be exposed to Higurashi in this form.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

Expecting AAA budget art and some gameplay from a doujinshi visual novel... this is something else.

This visual novel more than makes up for it with brilliant story and amazing music.

I wish to redirect you here for those who are fans of pc modding, this will make the vn have better art/bgm's/sfx and backgrounds. Have a sample below
http://higurashifix.wikia.com/wiki/Sprite_and_BG_P

Now that's out of the way, I truly find this to be great news despite taking two years to accomplish. Regardless I will be supporting this in hope that more vn's make it onto steam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:

Either you are an obvious troll or you are completely ignorant to the concept of a doujin Visual Novel.
As for the latter part, you are correct in that there is no "gameplay" because it isn't some sort of video game it is effectively a story that you read accompanied by visual graphics and audio to aid in the experience.
As for the art, it is a port of the original VN that was made in 2002 made by a guy who was focused on the writing at the time, the over simplicity of the art choice can be taken as a charm when compared to how most anime and manga characters were drawn at the time and even now.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Fantastic news, this could really bring the VN genre some mainstream attention. I haven't managed to finish the game yet myself, but a couple of winters ago I played through the first arc. I found writing that seemed to anticipate my thoughts and criticisms, and contained possibly the best use of suspense I've ever seen.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
Many people still prefer disc; something Xbox rediscovered not too long ago.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
Great news, but I'll just stick to playing them with VNDS Interpreter on my Android with the updated graphics.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
I can't believe the PS2 graphics are so popular. The muddy, filtered backgrounds and the uncanny-looking sprites were part of what made the game so creepy. I'd never, ever change them.

Anyway, I'm hoping this is at least somewhat popular on Steam. When it comes to VNs, I tend to only buy physical releases, but anything that gives the genre more positive exposure is a good thing.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
I can't believe the PS2 graphics are so popular. The muddy, filtered backgrounds and the uncanny-looking sprites were part of what made the game so creepy. I'd never, ever change them.

Anyway, I'm hoping this is at least somewhat popular on Steam. When it comes to VNs, I tend to only buy physical releases, but anything that gives the genre more positive exposure is a good thing.

Well for me i also use the fixes to restore the bgm's and sfx that where altered or changed when manga-gamer licensed the vn. Higurashi after all heavily relies on the music/sfx to set the mood so modding that is a no brainier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
brilliant story.

Little girls stabbing each other while laughing maniacally fighting over their husbando.
deidara517

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
dont listen to running wild about this he's an obvious troll or totally ignorant on the game itself. Higurashi and its subsequent series Umineko are both one of the best written stories i have ever read hands down. you develop a real attachment to each character due to the brillience of the author and the visual novel aspect makes getting sucked in so easy its hard to stop. This is a great game and i just might get steam cause of it. also on a side note if you are a fan of this game and/or umineko theres a facebook group thats working on the localization of them here
https://www.facebook.com/OperationGoldenLand

so go check them out if this is your type of thing. but i would totally give this game 5 out of 5 stars even for the lack of art quality which there is an above way to fix it mentioned
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Many people still prefer disc; something Xbox rediscovered not too long ago.

Definitely not PC gamers, as shown by the overwhelming force that Steam and other similar applications/tools have had on the PC gaming market.

When you can get huge deals (like how I recently picked up Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Burnout Paradise, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Mirror's Edge, C&C Red Alert 3: Uprising, Medal of Honor, and Populous for a grand total of $5) then the disc doesn't seem all that important anymore.

Running Wild wrote:
GiriOni wrote:
brilliant story.

Little girls stabbing each other while laughing maniacally fighting over their husbando.

If you want to out yourself as somebody who has no clue about the story, then my congratulations to you. You have shown your ignorance quite fully in a single sentence.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
When I first got the Mangagamer release, the translation was riddled with typos and stuff. For example, "Nothing will happens." *headdesk*

That, and practically all the music tracks that weren't composed by dai were replaced with different songs. Not that the new songs were bad by any means, or even worse than the originals, but there were less of them, which means they were used more often and got repetative really fast, though not to the hilarious levels as the constant use of "Suspicion" in the Umineko anime (which to this date remains one of the worst anime adaptations of any story I have seen).

My point is, I wonder if Steam will fix the typos. And maybe use the original tracks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2