• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Recalls Sankarea Blu-ray/DVD Box

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shades of gray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Kind of annoyed they changed their policy on this one. I would have canceled my order if I knew I was just supposed to return it when it arrived, rather than them sending me a new disk.

Also, maybe someone can help me with this. I just received my copy (ordered before I knew this version was censored). What exactly was cut out of this? I know there's blurring spoiler[after her death scene, when it shows her stomach], but is that the only thing changed in the cut edition, or is there a lot more that was taken out.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
you get a Rea panty shot in ep 1 at the bowling alley, Ranko is desteamed in the bath in ep2, and various foreground objects that act as censors are removed in a couple of episodes where characters take baths but nothing revealing is shown, except for Ranko in ep 2
shades of gray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
If those are the only changes, I may not even bother returning mine. Maybe I'm too old and jaded about things, but none of that is worth the hassle. None of those changes really hurt the show for me.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Wait, is the replacement program still in effect?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Guts were also uncensored.

Pokenatic wrote:

Might need to ask FUNimation if you can keep your item and still get replacements.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:

No, it's not. You have to send back the box set to whomever you bought it from, unfortunately. I would have rather gone with the first option, which I followed, but they changed their mind for some reason. It was in my backlog anyway.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

No, it's not. You have to send back the box set to whomever you bought it from, unfortunately. I would have rather gone with the first option, which I followed, but they changed their mind for some reason. It was in my backlog anyway.

*sighs heavily* Well, it's not like I'm missing much by keeping the current set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shades of gray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

*sighs heavily* Well, it's not like I'm missing much by keeping the current set.

That's my feelings as well. If they would have actually cut out scenes, I'd go to more effort. As things stand, I don't think this is missing much. Would have probably done the replacement idea if they had kept that going... but I'm fine with my current copy.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is just turning into a complete disaster for Funi.
deaththekid666

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I would've been fine with disc replacement but I actually have to send back in my copy? I'm good. It's not worth the effort anyway especially since they screwed me with Baka and Test S2.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
deaththekid666 wrote:
I would've been fine with disc replacement but I actually have to send back in my copy? I'm good. It's not worth the effort anyway especially since they screwed me with Baka and Test S2.

What was wrong with the Baka and Test S2 set?
deaththekid666

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
deaththekid666 wrote:

What was wrong with the Baka and Test S2 set?

How they messed up on the disc printing for the dvd version, which after a while wasn't a problem but still kinda sucks sometimes. But oh well.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
So my guess is that funimation tried to release a slightly censored version, hoping nobody noticed, so that they could slap on a TV14 label on it, hoping to get younger kids to buy anime, but in reality they have to recall the whole thing due to so many complaints.

They must have thought that since nobody asked if it was going to be censored, then it was OK for them to release the broadcast version. The reason we didn't ask funi if it was going to be a censored release, is because we were sure you were going to release it uncensored, just like shows that were released before this one.

First they offered a disk replacement, but there must have been a much larger outcry, or a lot of people were returning their sets for funi to go ahead and do a full recall on the show.

This is one reason i wait for a show to be released, before i buy it, I want to know what i am getting before I buy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm going with Zalis's theory. this was a deliberate act by the Japanese rights holders as a way to prevent reverse importations. Until proven otherwise, I'm sticking with that
mckg1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well, I am glad I waited Smile. I will get it during the Christmas sell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2