• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buying anime off ebay

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trigunner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Just be careful who you buy it off. Don't buy a DVD unless your sure it's your region.{ i made that mistake once Confused }. And nevr buy VCD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordShishio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:47 pm Reply with quote
From my expirience ALL VCDs are CRAP don't waste your money.

"Everything that has a beggining has an end"
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:36 pm Reply with quote
vcds may not have the best quality and the are illegal and they might have the occasinal glitch but they are cheeper then buyign something on dvd and if you really want to see something and u can only get it on vcd u should be happy. i dont know why people dont like to buy them.
i like to buy them iv seen stuff on vcd that i ahvent seen on dvd. vcds are a good thing to buy off ebay
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:53 pm Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
i don't know why people don't like to buy them.

Because buying them gives money to the theiving bootleggers and not the people who actually created the anime. Plus it supports the illegal industry and encourages bootleggers to continue to produce and sell illegal merchandise.
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:35 am Reply with quote
Shocked Put that VCD back! You don't know where it's been!

I discourage distribution of these disks because the ones who are getting paid are those darn bootleggers and not the people who spent time and money creating the anime. Off with their heads! Twisted Evil

Patience, grasshopper.
The anime you seek will appear before you...in much better quality. Wink
wcy2003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:03 am Reply with quote
But the question is, will To Heart ever be released here? Haven't bought the bootlegs yet, but if someone doesn't lisence it, I might think about getting bootlegs, or trying to locate the region 2's and making my own subs. I say trying casue its going to be near impossible.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:09 pm Reply with quote
oh, ebay part 2:

yeah, i messed up the numbers somewhere along the line. lemme try those numbers again:

9137 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld
6806 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld -"ntsc all"
4433 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld -"ntsc all" -"chinese"
3826 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld -"ntsc all" -"chinese" -"import"

607 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld -"ntsc all" -"chinese" +"import"
2049 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld -"ntsc all" +"chinese" -"import"
324 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld -"ntsc all" +"chinese" +"import"
803 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld +"ntsc all" -"chinese" -"import"
222 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld +"ntsc all" -"chinese" +"import"
650 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld +"ntsc all" +"chinese" -"import"
656 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld +"ntsc all" +"chinese" +"import"

3681 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld +"chinese"
1810 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld +"import"
2331 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld +"ntsc all"

so what's all this mean?

it means that 5311 out of 9137 (58.13%) of all ebay "anime dvd" sales are probably bootlegs because they contain one of the three largest bootleg words in their titles or descriptions.

If you walk into ebay and start buying anime DVDs randomly, you have a greater than 1 in 2 chance of buying a bootleg.

that's a fairly serious issue. Given that auctions tend to last for a week at a time, and this number should be fairly constant from week to week, one could expect ~260k bootlegs to appear on ebay over the course of a year. A number are relisted, but more often than not they aren't. I'm sure if you wanted you could spend a large amount of time looking at finished auctions and comparing legit sold items to illigit sold items, and how many needed re-listed...

... but i don't have that kind of time or incentive. i think the numbers above (and that nice graphic ^_-) show just how widespread the bootleg issue is, on ebay.

even if each boot sells for an average of $10, that's still millions of dollars being stolen by bootleggers via ebay. i wonder if companies realize just how significant the bootlegging via ebay issue is.

it's unfortunate that most boots aren't domestic titles, because otherwise the us companies might be able to do something about it. :(

it should be noted that the 600 +import -ntsc all -chinese discs might be legitimate as well.. so I did another search:
190 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld -"ntsc all" -"chinese" +"import" -"all region"

fewer than 200 of those 600 "import" discs are NOT all region... and all-region is a telling sign of a bootleg.. and of those 190, even then there are still many bootlegs:
124 items found for +anime +dvd -vhs -ld -"ntsc all" -"chinese" +"import" -"all region" -"region 0" -"us seller"

and looking through THOSE 124 listings, you'll still find a good number are _STILL_ bootlegs.

YES, it is officially NOT SAFE to buy anime off of ebay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

Hell, its not safe to buy most stuff on EBay peroid.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

... but i don't have that kind of time or incentive. i think the numbers above (and that nice graphic ^_-) show just how widespread the bootleg issue is, on ebay.

A very nice graphic, indeed.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:55 pm Reply with quote
SuperSkylineGTR wrote:
Cookie wrote:

sure it is
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quote
SuperSkylineGTR wrote:
Cookie wrote:

Sure it is. But you have to take your brain while you shop, just like when you shop anywhere else.

Do your homework, read the descriptions, and buy from established sellers. In over 450 transactions on eBay, I've only had 3 bad deals. That's less than two thirds of one percent....

I'll take those odds.
Rooboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:04 am Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
SuperSkylineGTR wrote:
Cookie wrote:

Sure it is. But you have to take your brain while you shop, just like when you shop anywhere else.

Do your homework, read the descriptions, and buy from established sellers. In over 450 transactions on eBay, I've only had 3 bad deals. That's less than two thirds of one percent....

I'll take those odds.

I agree almost 100% with him. Also I would like to add that it is possible to weed out a lot of the items you don't want. Just do an advanced search and subtract certain terms that you are not looking for, such as "all region", "VCD", "Chinese subtitles", and so on. It's really not too difficult to spot bootleg stuff on ebay, and it also helps to have a trusted retailer that has pictures of the actual items you want so you can compare it to Ebay. I've found many good deals on Ebay to say that getting stuff from there is bad.

I had one bad deal that involved Record of Lodoss War, but I've since learned my lesson. Just be sure of what you are buying. I do not adhere to the Rule of Thumb that if it's too good to be true than it probably is. If you listened to that all the time, than you would never get any good deals. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2