• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Tops Box Office With Over 400 Million Yen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote
Well seeing those figures makes me happy. I wasn't expecting Precure to do so well either. Anyways, really looking forward to seeing Madoka movie release on BD soon. I guess just a few more months of waiting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
Guess i'll finally be able to watch Madoka Magica Smile . Now i'm just unsure if I should watch the two movies, or the TV series...
VinceA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
Just watch the movies, you'll miss nothing. The movies together are just about the same length as the series minus the openings & endings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote
VinceA wrote:
Just watch the movies, you'll miss nothing. The movies together are just about the same length as the series minus the openings & endings.

In all honesty, I usually recommend people go on youtube or something to watch the prologue scene of the series (from the beginning of the first episode to the start of the opening), since they inconveniently left it out of the movie, confusing a lot of new viewers about what the heck Madoka was talking about every time she said, "The dream I had last night" in the first episode. It also plays heavily into the themes and the plot. I have no idea what they were thinking by leaving it out.

And then I also typically explain, around the episode 2 point (after Mami explains the Magical Girls and monsters and such) that spoiler[Mami used her wish on saving her own life in a car crash, and she had no time to think about it, so that's why she's being so strict with Madoka and Sayaka about thinking of a proper wish--something she never had.] This detail isn't as important as the prologue scene, but I still noticed a few of my friends that I showed the film to first were suspecting Mami of being evil or something without it. :/

That's about it, though. All other details, while they help, aren't practically necessary to get the show and prepare yourself for this third movie, so... have at it! =3
jet_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:59 am Reply with quote
Good job using the wrong promo pic for the Dokidoki! Precure news.
Anyway, happy to see the Dokidoki! movie is doing great. I can't wait for the finaly numbers.

Last edited by jet_ on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy they bothered to mention Precure in any form since apparently no one cares about it at ANN. But yeah, that's All Stars New Stage 2, not the current film. Razz
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
It might also be useful to note that, even though Madoka earned about twice as much as PreCure, its tickets were 300 yen more without a student discount (1800 yen for Madoka, 1500 yen for PreCure), and 500 yen more with a student discount (1500 yen for Madoka, 1000 yen for PreCure).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Anyways, really looking forward to seeing Madoka movie release on BD soon. I guess just a few more months of waiting.

If by "a few months", you mean 8-9ish, then yes, it will be on BD "soon".
bhl88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Anyways, really looking forward to seeing Madoka movie release on BD soon. I guess just a few more months of waiting.

If by "a few months", you mean 8-9ish, then yes, it will be on BD "soon".
And another thread of complaints.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
That wasn't a complaint, but rather a realistic assessment.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
8-9 months seems about right for a newly released film in theaters. Not to mention it still has tours in other countries to do.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I have no idea what they were thinking by leaving it out.
I'm guessing they were looking at the runtime since as it is the movie clocks in at 130 minutes and unfortunately Urobuchi didn't think about tweaking the script until after he saw the finished product(apparently the amount of work they put into touching up the scenes lifted from the series was more than he'd expected).
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
VinceA wrote:

No. They'll miss the pacing with all the cliffhangers, that made it great to follow in the first place. Episode 10 for example loses some of its punch. The first movie does worse in establishing characters. There's no reason to watch the movies except they're a bit prettier.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
VinceA wrote:

No. They'll miss the pacing with all the cliffhangers, that made it great to follow in the first place. Episode 10 for example loses some of its punch. The first movie does worse in establishing characters. There's no reason to watch the movies except they're a bit prettier.

If we think about the series realistically, every single scene was important. They either added to the characters, the plot, the motivations, the theme, or the storytelling (etc.). But for a compilation, the Madoka films are of the best I've seen. They still capture the spirit of the original and still end up being pretty powerful, sacrificing only the bare minimum (even though the sacrifices are still somewhat big if you really want to analyze the series in full detail--something the series lends itself to really well).

I usually recommend people who have seen the movies to go back and watch the show, particularly because you get more from it the second time watching it, so the series adds more to what you've already seen AND there are more scenes, anyway, to expand upon any questions you had while watching the movies.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're both doing well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2