• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Illustrators Work Hard For The Money &#8212 Or For Free

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The government held a Cool Japan promotion meeting on April 3 where officials proposed creators work on the campaign's posters and slogans for free.

Such deep respect they have for the people they want to rely on to sell "cool" Japanese culture as an export product.

Reminded me of a recent New York Times opinion piece.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Reminded me of a recent New York Times opinion piece.

Thanks for this link. It's so true.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Years ago, many Japanese animators turned to illustration because the money was better. I'm guessing that good times are over?

Hmmm...I wonder if we're at the point where illustrators' values are dropping due to over-saturation.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"For a particular magazine, one color illustration 10 cm^2 would sell for 2,000 yen (~$20). This is around 1/3 to 1/6 of the market price. I cried and cried, but accepted that value. I accepted the offer because I wanted work." The magazine had waited until the illustrator finished her drawing before revealing how much she would be paid.

I aint surprised one bit.

This is not news, but sadly there are many that think that when they buy "stuff" that companies release, they are supporting the "artists", laughable, but whatever.

But we have awesome news like this:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-30/man-arrested-for-uploading-minami-ke-tadaima-via-share

And many naive people think that this will benefit the "artists", yea sure, who is really ripping off artists? Sharers?

And people question me when I in turn question news like that above that only benefits (in their theory and on their on little world) rich private corporations with the taxes of the general population, as if that would actually benefit the artists (much less society). In Minamike case it would primarily and directly benefit corporations like Kodansha.

Anyway we have known for years how artists in the anime/manga industry are treated by corporations, and now the government too it seems, and almost all wont dare say anything or evidently face to have the doors closed forever.

Quote:
Manga artist Robinson Haruhara (Senyū.) weighed in when a fan asked on Twitter if being a manga artist is profitable. He jokingly referred to a cost slip showing his finances in the red, but later corrected himself, stating he makes 700 million yen (~$7,126,700) a month, although this was probably a joke, too.

Like in the entertainment industry overall, unless you make it BIG i.e, you are ODA, or the so in Hajime Isayama (Shingeki no Kyouji) (or big name famous illustrator? This news makes you think otherwise) that the pocket money they get as royalties converts into millions of dollars by the sheer mount of sales, then probably is like any other work, maybe even more demanding and not well paid at all for the trouble
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The market hardly fairs better for the average freelance illustrator.

fairs/fares?

Murder, She wrote:

"For a particular magazine, one color illustration 10 cm^2 would sell for 2,000 yen (~$20). This is around 1/3 to 1/6 of the market price. I cried and cried, but accepted that value. I accepted the offer because I wanted work." The magazine had waited until the illustrator finished her drawing before revealing how much she would be paid.

The compensation should had been upfront before the work, plus an arrangement like "half now and half when finished."

Anyways, reminds us of a story an illustrator/animator told about a prospective client paraphrased: "How it is to hire us? If anybody could just do what we do, why do we go to art school? Do hospitals expect to pay doctors coming out of medical school? We both go to school to do what we do."
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:17 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Thanks for this link. It's so true.

No it isn't.

The thick irony was a bonus, though.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that some people blame corporations for the wrongs. But what about artists themselves? Shouldn't they be wise enough to handle their fees and upfront about the labor cost? It's not all right to underbid just to get some exposure or a job. Also illustrators shouldn't rely on one source of income, which is publishing companies. When publishing business is not going well, then illustrators have to look somewhere else for work.

I strongly believe that artists shouldn't practice their craft if they can't handle their business right. The same goes to art school students too.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I've noticed that some people blame corporations for the wrongs. But what about artists themselves? Shouldn't they be wise enough to handle their fees and upfront about the labor cost?

Sure. But who'll bell the cat, as the saying goes: there's a fairly obvious coordination problem.

[all income is, essentially, economic rent, because a truly competitive market delivers prices at the marginal cost of production and in all real-world cases the marginal cost of production is less than the actual cost of production: everyone in a true competitive market loses money. Only by reducing competition -- whether by price coordination or by formal or effective barriers to entry -- can a business actually make real profits. And this goes for multinationals, self-employed people, and wage labour: this is why we used to have unions, but -- oddly -- the previous union structures couldn't work with a -- no-doubt spontaneous -- shift to contracting in preference to wage labour. But, y'know, don't hate the game, hate the player.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
[all income is, essentially, economic rent, because a truly competitive market delivers prices at the marginal cost of production and in all real-world cases the marginal cost of production is less than the actual cost of production: everyone in a true competitive market loses money. Only by reducing competition -- whether by price coordination or by formal or effective barriers to entry -- can a business actually make real profits. And this goes for multinationals, self-employed people, and wage labour: this is why we used to have unions, but -- oddly -- the previous union structures couldn't work with a -- no-doubt spontaneous -- shift to contracting in preference to wage labour. But, y'know, don't hate the game, hate the player.]
You're describing "perfect competition", which isn't something that could ever possibly exist(at least partly because it assumes away all the real competitive pressures). There's no need for artificial barriers to entry for profit - it's simply ephemeral, and evaporates as society's wants in that regard are satisfied.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1