• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isao Takahata Thinks There Is a Chance of Hayao Miyazaki's Return

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
insert name here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Unless Miyazaki closes the studio and burns it to the ground, I could easily see him dabbling around with a short or two, getting the itch again and making one last feature. Unless he has some kind of health problems we don't know about, I just get the sense that this guy is too addicted to his work to ever completely quit. It doesn't surprise me that someone like Takahata who has worked with him forever is skeptical about it too.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
GOOD.

The only time I can picture Miyazaki retiring is when (hopefully still very far) he had enough of this world and embarks on the next one.

BUT if he does retires, well, he more than deserves to rest and take it easy, he has been so diligent so far, so much passion, so much love from his works, and I am sure his family needs him even more than we do, thou, sadly maybe its kind of late to make it up to his family, specially his sons, a son would never ever understand why his/her/their parents would dedicate all their time to their work and not to them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki's been doing the animation thing for 50 years, now. Even if he had more strength to continue, he's probably not sure what's left at this point.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
Creative types like Miyazaki soon find that they can't live without something to direct their energy into after retiring. I doubt he's the type who would be happy fly fishing for the rest of his days... he'll be back in the saddle within a few years, if his health improves. No doubt.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote
He should really consider doing lectures and tours.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
So Miyazaki's 15th million retirement announcement may turn out not to be true? Wow, *shock*
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
I think "retirement" in Miyazaki's case means, "I'm not doing this until my fingers bleed anymore." No real surprises here, I'm sure we will see his name on various Ghibli projects from time to time.

It's all good.

Mark Gosdin
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh for cripes sake, just stay dammit!! Miyazaki you're such a tease.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Unless his interests have really shifted somewhere I really doubt his retirement is final. He is not really the type of person to just retire and relax in my opinion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki: "you want my retirement? You'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands." Laughing
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
It's official, Miyazaki has seen Takahata's latest movie! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
I thought this retirement was only from directing specifically, and did not preclude him from getting back behind an animation desk.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I've just got out of seeing Kaze Tachinu, yesterday and that film is clearly an embodiment of his heart and soul. And the story is about his life, just as much as Jiro's. [Not literally, of course, but there are parallels.] It's also kind of an anti-Ghibli film for everyone's who's been let down by life at the peak of their potential. And only those in-the-know will truly be able to appreciate it, in that sense. As such, it's way more layered than the average Miyazaki film. [Unfortunately, that might mean it won't be appreciated in this generation.] So when he says he doesn't want to come back to anything like that, I think he effing means it. A follow-up now would cheapen his legacy. But he can still supervise other projects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1