• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - This Vinland Is Your Vinland

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching Watamote this year but I just couldn't laugh at most jokes. In an episode there was a joke about Tomoko trying to be sexually molested and panicking when she believed she was being assaulted. For a second it felt like a psychological horror and I felt disturbed. I would keep up with the series if the humor didn't go there again.

Oh yeah, I think Wish was the first time that Clamp did the spoiler[Happy ending thanks to reincarnation.] While it was good once, it they used it again in spoiler[Kobato] and it got tiring. I would prefer it if the next time they did it was spoiler[downplayed and ineffective to have a happy ending] like in Tsubasa or bring dark twist.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[the real story doesn't really start until we delve into Thorfinn's childhood.]

Actually, the real story spoiler[only starts at chapter 55 IIRC, everything before that is the prologue. Wink]

I'm pretty excited about this release, especially love the hardcover and the picture of the mangaka cosplaying as a Viking. Laughing
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't agree more about a re-license for Wish. While the art is incredibly dated and spoiler[the happy ending recycled in newer CLAMP works like Kobato], the story itself is sweet, lovely, and fun and the characters were memorable and silly. It's one of my favorite CLAMP stories, and I'm glad I have all four of the original volumes.

Although if it was relicensed, I'd likely buy an omnibus format of it for a better translation, as Tokyopop's translation and grammar leaves much to be desired...
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Hang on, I got my copy of Vinland Saga vol 1 a while ago?
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I just finished rereading Wish yesterday.

Aura Ichadora wrote:
Although if it was relicensed, I'd likely buy an omnibus format of it for a better translation, as Tokyopop's translation and grammar leaves much to be desired...

Bill Flanagan, please.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm too many volumes behind on Tegami Bachi again. I've gotta get caught up. X_X

I remember seeing Wish at my local Borders a few years back when the store still existed. I debated getting it and forgot all about it. :0
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm really, really happy with Kodansha's treatment of Vinland Saga. The hard bound cover is particularly nice. Almost makes the many years I waited for it to be licensed worth it.

Now if only I can get a re-release of Planetes.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
^Paid an arm and a leg for Planetes, enjoyed it enough that I preordered this one. I would also buy another Planetes set especially if they are done better.

IanC wrote:
Hang on, I got my copy of Vinland Saga vol 1 a while ago?

There was an issue with the shipments apparently as you can follow in the comments of this article: http://kodanshacomics.com/vinland-saga-1-has-arrived/

I also got my copy ages ago, but Amazon related stores (though that's where I got my copy) apparently have something up. >_>
Panoptican

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I tried watching Watamote this year but I just couldn't laugh at most jokes. In an episode there was a joke about Tomoko trying to be sexually molested and panicking when she believed she was being assaulted. For a second it felt like a psychological horror and I felt disturbed. I would keep up with the series if the humor didn't go there again.

That was most certainly the low point of the show for me. Thankfully it is as you hoped and, at least through the rest of the anime, something like that never came up again.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
considering all the fondle jokes we get in anime, having the molestation joke in watamote turn out to be a complete misundersanding makes it (for me) one of the best molestation jokes ever made in anime. it's nothing like she was "accidentally" molested, by a guy who never intended to do it.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
How, how, how can you review Wish without pointing out the one thing that makes it remotely interesting: its a Jojo's bizarre Adventure doujinshi. Kohaku is Kakyoin, Shuichiro is Jotaro, etc, they even go back in time to when Johnathan Joestar was younger and everything. It's not even the first Jojo's doujinshi they've made...

If you read it with Araki's manga in mind, it's a really hilarious read.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm really, really happy with Kodansha's treatment of Vinland Saga. The hard bound cover is particularly nice.

I'm fairly happy with Kodansha's handling of Vinland Saga, but it feels like a cheaper book than another hardcover one like SevenSea's Bride's Story. I was hoping that a hardcover treatment meant that better paper would be used, too. I wonder how Vertical would have handled the series... Never know, I guess.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I'm really, really happy with Kodansha's treatment of Vinland Saga. The hard bound cover is particularly nice.

I'm fairly happy with Kodansha's handling of Vinland Saga, but it feels like a cheaper book than another hardcover one like SevenSea's Bride's Story. I was hoping that a hardcover treatment meant that better paper would be used, too. I wonder how Vertical would have handled the series... Never know, I guess.

I agree. While the hardcover was an excellent touch, the paper used inside is pretty poor quality. I actually returned my first copy because I thought it had been poorly stored somewhere and it wasn't until I got my second copy of it that I realized that that was the paper you were getting.
sillykeronian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Actually, RightStuf!.com has the Wish original volumes right now in stock. I bought #3 already, which they only have a few left, but the rest are readily available Smile
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

Oh yeah, I think Wish was the first time that Clamp did the spoiler[Happy ending thanks to reincarnation.] While it was good once, it they used it again in spoiler[Kobato] and it got tiring. I would prefer it if the next time they did it was spoiler[downplayed and ineffective to have a happy ending] like in Tsubasa or bring dark twist.

Diferent opinions I guess. I actually liked how Kohaku spoiler[will find the new incarnation of hir lover and will have to meet him and fall in love all over again, and it's never really a guarante that they would fall in love each time. And I don't really mind in Kobato either because is the same universe and the same rules apply... but to be honest I am not completely sure how it was executed on the case of Kobato... something was missing]... :S

Damn, Watamote and Vinland Saga.. so much manga... so few money Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2