• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Oriko Magica GN 1 & 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see a review that parallels pretty much exactly what I'd been thinking. I wanted to like it, but it just fell flat.

I will, however, counter the point that it should've only been one volume. I think it should've been 3. Volume 1 had very good pacing, setting up Kyoko and Yuma to be the main characters, despite the inexplicable name of "Oriko" to the manga.

Volume 2 could have been introducing more of the actual plot (Oriko distracting Kyubey from Madoka) and been a mix of Kirika going after the magical girls, and Oriko keeping Kyubey from Madoka. Maybe introduce a few other random characters that Oriko is hinting at for potential Magical Girls?

Volume 3, then, can be our big climax and final battle, here fleshing out Kirika and Oriko's backgrounds, and giving time to work out the pacing problems.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Considering what did occur in the manga, Oriko and Kirika had more than a fair amount of time to show there hand, the issue is pacing in that either the Manga is too long for its main content or alternatively make the side story focus on the backgrounds of our slightly lesser focused upon (in the original anime series at least) combo of Mami and Kyoko as the first Manga seemed to be trying to do if there needs to be additional chapters.

I personally enjoyed the contrast of art style from the usual fair of manga choices, but I can also see how someone would flat out find it "ugly, don't care to read any more of this story".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The best part about Oriko is she's an AMAZING character for fanfiction.

She filled a niche the series canon desperately needed, and has been greatly expanded upon in various fanworks.

Also, I really don't think you can try to sell the "very close friends" idea with Kirika and Oriko.
Foridin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

I personally enjoyed the contrast of art style from the usual fair of manga choices, but I can also see how someone would flat out find it "ugly, don't care to read any more of this story".

While I suppose the art isn't that bad looking at it by itself, although the battle scenes were incredibly confusing, my main issue with it is that it is so different from the normal series, especially with character design. Similar to what the reviewer said, it took me a really long time to realize that Kyoko was on the cover of the first volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1