• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Adapts Joan G. Robinson's When Marnie Was There Novel Into Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Does that mean Yonebayashi's been dropped from the Porco Rosso sequel? If so, that's a real shame.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
This book is only published in the UK unfortunately, but if it's going to be a ghibli movie it must be at least a little interesting. Another book that should be published in the us is Duncton Wood, more people should read that. Anyways, I just bought a copy to see what its about (ebay uk had some copies). We'll see how the movie comes out...
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Exciting. Arrietty was great, so I'm looking forward to seeing Yonebashi in the director's chair again, this time without Miyazaki's writing to fall back on. Sounds like a atmospheric setting and plot. I kinda wish Cecile Corbel was doing the soundtrack again, though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
Excellent! Another Ghibli series? Definitely psyched to see this next year!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
Sounds like an interesting source to adapt from! I really liked the imagery of Arrietty, even if there didn't seem to be a real climax to the movie. So it should be interesting to see where he goes with this one!
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
I only want to see original movies from Ghibli.
Makeinu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
If you are implying that a new Ghibli has to be based on an original idea to be worth seeing, then you are being quite silly. Sure, Arrietty wasn't very good, but that has little to do with its being an adaptation when you consider that this was also the case for Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki, Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
Well, that book description sounds like its right up in Ghibli's wheelhouse!
Strong Female Protagonist-check
Magical Realism-check
Lessons About Family/Friendship-check

Okay, that's a bit simplistic, but still accurate. Just throw in something about the environment---maybe keeping the sand dunes/beach free of pollution?

I really want to see that list of books Miyazaki recommends for adaptations! Wonder if there's any Roald Dahl on it.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Dreamy! I'm gunna try to get a hold of the book this is based on. Wouldn't it be fun to have a book club based on Miyazaki's recommended children's lit list?

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie- I liked Arietty a bunch!
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Dreamy! I'm gunna try to get a hold of the book this is based on. Wouldn't it be fun to have a book club based on Miyazaki's recommended children's lit list?
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie- I liked Arietty a bunch!

If you mean reading the actual BOOK version of Howl's Moving Castle, yes. I would highly recommend it before seeing the Ghibli version. Mad

(Excuse me if that's since traumatized me against any Ghibli/anime versions of Western literature--And even Arietty had certain Eastern flaws compared to Mary Norton, but I won't hold it against them.)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Now that dose sound like a good to watch but it would take forever to get it to the US
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is interesting news. I look forward to seeing this.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

Howl, Kiki, Arrietty, Grave, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, Princess Kaguya and if you want to count Ghost in the Shell Innocence are all adaptations. That is about half of Ghibli's workload. So, yeah, does it matter if it is original or not? Ghibli isn't very original, half of the time.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Does that mean Yonebayashi's been dropped from the Porco Rosso sequel? If so, that's a real shame.

I'm afraid I don't believe the Porco Rosso sequel has ever really been anything other than an idea that's been tossed around here and there. Miyazaki has had fun imagining it but never intended to make it, though Toshio Zuzuki may have been entertaining the idea a little more seriously, and the IMDB page was likely the usual overeager posting by someone that has nothing to do with the industry. It's like the Hideaki Anno-directed Nausicaa sequel that's being talked about now; something fun for the media but not necessarily anything that's really being planned at all.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I am, honestly, INCREDIBLY excited for this. Yonebayashi's previous film, Arrietty, showcased excellent use of atmospheric pacing and cinematography, and adapting English-language literature, as far as I'm able to tell, looks to be something that really suits his overall directorial style. I'm positive that this new film will be every bit as excellent as Arrietty was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2