• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Zetman Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And then there's the issue of how the series treats its female cast.

It's based on a Katsura manga. This explains everything.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I watched this one on Neon Alley as it was debuting in English.

Didn't care for it. Not much at all. Thought it was kinda shitty, to be honest. Neutral

If I had to compare it to another show, it reminds me of this old series that Media Blasters put out called Sadamitsu the Destoyer. It too had the same ugly character designs and shoe-string & lint budget, but the difference is Sadamitsu never took itself even remotely seriously and ended up being tons of fun. Zetman, though, plays everything straight, and ended up being one of the most uncomfortable anime series I've sat through in a long time.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the review was fairly spot on as the show has a lot of problems. I found it overall to be very disappointing. I have read some of the manga in the past and I think the show failed to capture two things. First that the humans could sometimes be the greater monsters which would have challenged Jin's humanity and his view of humans. Do you really want to side with a species that is capable of this? In a sense he's constantly being tested by that. Second, the lack of development of a few of the relationships in the show means that there is less emotional impact when things go bad or people get killed. The manga is dark, violent, gory and not deep, but at least it didn't feel as shallow as the anime. In contrast, the Hellsing animes have similar qualities (violent, gory, not deep), but I found them to be much more entertaining.

If I recall correctly in the anime Kouga goes spoiler[crazy and kills both his parents, but seems to suffer little from such actions]. What was up with that? It really wasn't dealt with on any level. Konoha, Kouga's sister, doesn't seem to be spoiler[repulsed by the being that Jin turns into]. As a matter of fact at the end of the show spoiler[she still seems to be mooning after him]. No emotional conflict about spoiler[your crush being a monster]? I also agree with the review that females seem to be just victims or trophies in the show. Ugh, there's just a lot of bad things in the show in my opinion. I also agree with the grade C+ is just about right. There were some things that looked nice about the show and the action and graphic quality will appeal to some.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Zetman was pretty terrible but I loved the character designs.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I love the manga; it's a shame there's scant a good word on the anime.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I dunno.

I've only seen about 6 episodes, and was upset with some changes from the original work, but it seemed pretty okay as a show. :/
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm I recall watching Zetman and thinking that it was going for the old, but still occasionally interesting "MY JUSTICE IS BETTER THAN YOUR JUSTICE!" conflict.

spoiler[And then it ends just as it starts to build a slight momentum. And it deviated so much in its storytelling from the original work, there's no way for it to continue. Kinda like Deadman Wonderland. Only thing is, Deadman Wonderland was fun on the ride, even if it was going nowhere.

Zetman really isn't.]
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed to hear that there are apparently significant plot holes. I can put up with a lot of uncomfortable content to get my fill of gore, but plot-holes always drive me crazy. I'll probably still give it a try, but I'm going in with low expectations. Maybe that will end up being a good thing for me in the end. Lower expectations typically make things more enjoyable. Crossing my fingers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1