• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blood-C: The Last Dark BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
That feel when you think that Blood-C was a refreshingly wretched take on the shine maiden trope, and you're the only one who feels that way...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
The movie was better than the horrid television series, but that's not saying much. The Last Dark was still pretty bad, and I'd rather eat live cockroaches than watch the movie again. Seriously.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The TV show was pretty enjoyable. I was pretty hyped for the movie and then....

they screwed up what should have been a simple premise. Have Saya get her revenge.

The movie failed at every angle. Despite looking good there are very few action scenes. What should have been a movie of Saya fighting new "bosses" amounted to basically two very boring action scenes. Most of the movie was Saya hanging out with boring archetype characters.

Fumito should have had a group of guards all with interesting powers for Saya to fight against. We get one and he explodes. Whoop de do!

Fumito who at the end of the show is this insanely cold villain turns into a anime/Clamp character who act's whimsical for no reason and his motivations for doing everything were insanely stupid. Not to mention thier final confrontation is not the blood bath fight it should have been, just some ugly cg fight.

The movie was very disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
hojo 360

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I did not hate blood C but i don't feel it fit in the blood saga at all the tv show had some good dark turns {just to bad it took so long to get to them} but i did not hate blood C. Anyway i do feel the film was much better and had that true blood feel that C was missing spoiler[like the beginning scene with Saya in the train when she cuts that guy down felt a lot like blood the last vampire ]
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to feel that the as-yet-unwatched copies of Blood C- and its movie on my anime shelf are rapidly becoming a symbol of shame for fans and collectors. Brutal.

Then again, I can hope that ANN's review of this and the series completely missed the mark. I often find myself disagreeing with ANN's reviews, but I notice that primarily happens when the review starts rambling about stuff not really relevant to the show. This review didn't do that so I'm concerned. Then again, this review did endorse the "the ideal dub is just the actors speaking the subtitle script" idea, which is,has and always will be bogus. Since the review is wrong on that account I can hope that it is wrong elsewhere.
toyNN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I recall so looking forward to Blood-C with Nana Mizuki in the lead roll.... It seemed to start off fine but then deteriorated in to what I viewed as the CLAMP girls giving us all the finger.

The only thing that saved it at all for me was it was part of the (I guess failed) NicoNico X Funimation simulcasts so you could turn on the running viewer comments and of course add your own.

I gave the movie zero chance and wondered why they would even bother but it must have already been in some contract (maybe?). The review has made me atleast want to give it a shot, though from some of the comments above sounds like it may not be all that good.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Since this is likely the last Blood-C review written, I'll be giving my final defense:
Coming from someone who's not at all a violence/gore fan (for that reason I don't ever feel like seeing Ninja Scroll) Blood-C is criminally overbashed and overhated. Personally, I think the series was genius. It tried something new with the character, with a new setup, with its own twists and turns, and gave the audience an ending they never would've seen coming. And the shock value of that last episode alone would never have had the impact it did if not for the prior episodes' steady pacing. When rewatching the series, one feels the disturbing dark atmosphere from the get-go which continues permeating throughout its 12 episodes, something that not a lot of series achieve. For many the series's ending seemed absolutely pointless--but that's why the movie exists, much like Conquerer of Shamballa for Fullmetal Alchemist.
It definitely surprised me how remarkably less bloody and gory the movie was compared to the show, although that was probably deliberate. It's also interesting how the TV series was visually light but dark in tone, while the movie is visually darker but actually light in tone. Much like the series, the movie had its own ending that I didn't quite see coming, and almost made me feel like the story didn't really amount to anything. But I came around to it upon realizing it actually reflects Saya's usual plight. It also plays into CLAMP's usual drama of how spoiler[love was the reason behind everything, even if it was a twisted, perverted love that brought about terrible things].
And everything that's great about the movie is truly great. Saya makes actual friends this time around after the prior phoniness (not spelled out but still well-illustrated), ones who are willing to fight beside her, and actually make for likeable side-characters. And the cinematic animation truly is phenomenal--and I absolutely disagree with what Carl says about "unconvincing CG movement of crowds", because they were nothing but "wow" moments to me.
People can hate this title all they want. But when I read their expressions of hatred, all I'm hearing are people expecting it to be what it isn't rather than taking a look at it for what it is. That's just my personal feeling anyhow. So in summation (and speaking for myself, of course): Blood-C is an underrated series that's actually better than people give it credit for.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I wish more people could see Blood-C the way we do, pachy_boy. I thoroughly enjoyed the TV series' creepy atmosphere and twists, and if it ended on an unsatisfying note, it was because it was setting up this great movie.

And after my disappointment with some recent anime movies that merely replicated the animation quality of the TV series that originated them, it's nice to watch a movie with some actual theatrical-quality animation.
consignia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I find myself agreeing with those who enjoyed the TV series. I can't see why people disliked it so much, it seems like almost received wisdom that is terrible. It wasn't the greatest thing ever but it was perfectly enjoyable. I didn't care for the movie much, but it was passable and certainly contrasted the TV series.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the tv series was made intentionally bad to reduce expectations for the movie. Still, it was fun. Laughing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
A big part of the review is on the damage this did to the franchisee.

I mean I guess, but then again I have a hard time understanding why the Blood franchisee is even a thing. The other parts have been pretty weak. The first ova was nothing special. Blood+ was overly long and boring. The Live action movie plain ol sucks. The games well I've only played the Grasshopper game and well it looks cool.

Yeah I'm sorry, this franchisee is already mediocre at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
...I have a hard time understanding why the Blood franchisee is even a thing. The other parts have been pretty weak. The first ova was nothing special. Blood+ was overly long and boring. The Live action movie plain ol sucks. The games well I've only played the Grasshopper game and well it looks cool.

I've read the "Blood 2002" manga and the prequel novel. Both were quite forgettable.

For being mediocre at best, there's an astounding amount of Blood stuff.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The TV show was pretty enjoyable. I was pretty hyped for the movie and then....

they screwed up what should have been a simple premise. Have Saya get her revenge.

The movie failed at every angle. Despite looking good there are very few action scenes. What should have been a movie of Saya fighting new "bosses" amounted to basically two very boring action scenes. Most of the movie was Saya hanging out with boring archetype characters.

Fumito should have had a group of guards all with interesting powers for Saya to fight against. We get one and he explodes. Whoop de do!

Fumito who at the end of the show is this insanely cold villain turns into a anime/Clamp character who act's whimsical for no reason and his motivations for doing everything were insanely stupid. Not to mention thier final confrontation is not the blood bath fight it should have been, just some ugly cg fight.

The movie was very disappointing.

well i liked the movie , though the way they ended fumito definitely left something to be desired. though it left the series with the decent conclusion which was the only thing i didn't liked about the TV series. other than that both the TV series and the movie are great series. sure their completely inferior to Blood Plus , but its still a solid series nevertheless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Blood + TV series. Heard alot of bad things about Blood-C, pity though, I am going to watch it anyway to see for myself.
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
There were things about the Blood-C TV Series I did not like, but I do not regret watching this or the movie, the best thing they did in both was write really great plot twists, we can argue about the finer points but despite the slow start this was a vastly entertaining series of both this and the movie. I generally judge things based on logic, the only sequence in this film I think might have been a little odd was the whole Dog, it made no sense when it was implemented in the original but I don't want to give away anything. It was bizarre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2