• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Animation DVDs in Japan: 2013

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Interesting how much more foreign stuff sells in DVD if compared to blu ray. Ghibli also sells lots of DVDs because they still haven't released Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away on blu ray but even the ones they have on blu ray still sell more dvds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Princess Mononoke is out on BD, it got released weeks ago. I'm looking at torrents of the BDrip right now, and they're quite large.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
It seems to imply that Blueray is still struggling to make an inroad into the Japanese market.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It seems to imply that Blueray is still struggling to make an inroad into the Japanese market.

Very high prices + anime available on tv (and presumably you can record it to some kind of HD blu-ray recorder) makes buying dvds/blu-rays mostly pointless.
Except for the ultra hardcore otaku. The rest of the otaku will spend money on merchandise, figs, videogames, pillows, etc...
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Interesting how much more foreign stuff sells in DVD if compared to blu ray.

DVDs appeal to the mainstream buyer and fujoshi. Foreign animation only appeals to children/mainstream so DVD sales being larger than blu-ray makes sense. Blu-ray is for otaku/adult stuff. Usually the only time you see Blu-Rays for western animation doing well is if its a combo pack, so it gets the DVD sales but is listed until the Blu-Ray list like Wreck It Ralph was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1