• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - A Whiter Shade of Pale

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
In Hikaru No Go's defense, Viz did try to mention local North American Go gatherings to help encourage interest in the "sport". So while it's a niche hobby here, compared to Asia, there is a following for it. I'm surprised that Viz didn't at least publish the Prince of Tennis sequel on SJA, though. Anyway, the anime sequel seems to be doing ok on CR, at least, so maybe you can ask them to go back and pick up the rest of the previous show.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thank you so much for answering that first question. My mind was suitably blown. It explains a lot about many of those side-by-side comparisons of DVD and Blu-ray releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Wow, thank you so much for answering that first question. My mind was suitably blown. It explains a lot about many of those side-by-side comparisons of DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Agreed. I've been doing a lot more research on Blu-rays lately. Its one of the reason I keep returning to this Column each week. Very helpful as always Justin.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Unicorn's simuldub had the advantage in that the anime was an OVA and therefore not subject to a tight television production schedule. Along with animation and all that, it also leaves a lot more time for the dub to be made.

I still didn't like Unicorn's dub though. Heck, even the original Japanese makes me want to punch quite a few characters in the faces. Banagher for example is irritating as hell in both languages.
se37

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed about how older films look between a little different between each release but one I remember being promoted a ton was the Disney Animation line up. I watched Sleeping Beauty for the first time on Blu-Ray it blew my mind how sharp, clear and colorful the picture was and how it looked. I've noticed this stuff as a film student but the professors do not really talk about it much because they try to keep us away from how things use to work to how they work now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Msag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
That was a really informative answer about color correction, Justin. And the simul-dub answer, while informative, was a bit amusing to me too. How the heck do studios survive through it indeed... Great job with this week's column!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the lack of lip flap matching in Kurokami's dub is very noticable. While it can be distracting at times, I love it all the same. I want to thank Justin and all those involved for their hard work.
brandonjw3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason Hikaru no go and Princes of tennis failed in the DVD market Cause no one at that the time those shows where released wanted to spend a lot money on buying every single disc volume that came out plus Naruto and Bleach all ready and is still ruling the market.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
WRT Hikaru no Go and sports in general, yeah it's very unfortunate. One issue is that they all are long series, sometimes very, very long and cost of ownership is huge. The only show I think may have a chance to change the sports=failure trend in the US is Kuroko no basket. Maybe.

Quote:
As luck would have it, I worked on the simul-dub of Kurokami: The Animation. Boy, was that a break-neck insane schedule. I'm a little surprised we all survived.

There have been a few attempts at making a simultaneous dub of anime in the past, and it's really really hard. What happens is, early in the show, Japan will deliver the final animation really early, the dubbing studio will have plenty of time to rewrite for lip-flap, record the dub, and do the final mix. But as the show goes on, things almost always start falling more and more behind. Anime studios have a terrible track record of not finishing until the LAST POSSIBLE SECOND, often not finishing the final touches until hours before the show airs.

So what happens to the time in which the dubbing studio gets to do their work? It's not like the broadcast can be delayed, otherwise it won't be a simulcast anymore! So, the dub gets more and more rushed. Sometimes they have to dub to unfinished animation. (Does it match lip-flap? Who knows!) Sometimes sound effects and other things will get tweaked in Japan, but nobody will tell the US dub studio, resulting in audio being out of sync with the video! (see: Kite: Liberator) Japanese studios are simply not used to having their product handed off to someone else to finish, so they will habitually go right up to the line, and the dub studio is left scrambling trying to make insane deadlines.

That's the issue it seems with non-original language anime. WRT to the bolded statement above, I watched some of the Kurokami dub and have noticed the lip sync timing was off very frequently. I noticed the same with SF4 animation English dub as well. This was supposedly made in the same way. Non-simultaneous, regular dubs done on finalized material don't have this problem.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
WRT Hikaru no Go and sports in general, yeah it's very unfortunate. One issue is that they all are long series, sometimes very, very long and cost of ownership is huge. The only show I think may have a chance to change the sports=failure trend in the US is Kuroko no basket. Maybe.

Shorter sports anime have been tried before by just about every company in existence. Dear Boys/Hoop Days, Dan Doh!!, Joe vs. Joe, the first Ashita no Joe compilation movie (under the name Champion Joe), Big Windup!, & Ayane's High Kick, among others, and all have essentially failed to some extent. Princess Nine is getting a second chance via Lucky Penny, but I'm sure Shawne Kleckner & Right Stuf have their expectations pretty low in terms of sales. The only one to really be a gigantic success would probably be Speed Racer, and that could simply be because it aired in a time where it had widespread TV presence & had other elements to grab viewer's interests aside form the racing.

To be fair, though, I say Viz should at least try putting sports anime on Neon Alley. They have Hikaru no Go, and it was fully dubbed, so why not put it Neon Alley & see what the reaction is? Why not work with Right Stuf & put Princess Nine on there? CrunchyRoll does seem to be seeing success (at least in a relative sense) with sports anime, so it may be that anime fans are at least becoming more welcoming to simply watching sports series, so I say that Viz should try a couple out & see what happens.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I always held out hope that maybe, just maybe Hikaru no Go would eventually catch on, but alas it was not to be. It didn't help matters that it was being released on single discs in a time when most things were being released by seasons (or at least in larger chunks than 4 episodes). It also didn't help that the dub was pretty atrocious. I'm just glad the manga was fully released - I was expecting that to get pulled too.

While I'd like to own the whole show, I am glad that I can watch it on Hulu whenever I want (which I do go back and do on occasion). It's just a hard series to sell ("A kid meets a ghost that loves to play an ancient board game, and the kid eventually learns to play himself. They enter tournaments and make friends and rivals in their quest for the perfect game.").
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
in highschool me and the rest of the Tennis Team loved Prince of Tennis and none of us are girls so Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy when they color correct to make anime seem more filmic, with lighter shades versus trying to make each hue more pronounced and a cranked up contrast.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
If anyone care, the dub of Utena is actually available to stream legally on Youtube. Manga has it up on their channel.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The dub for Hikaru no Go WAS finished, but only the first 40(?) episodes were released to DVD. Toonami Jetstream did stream the whole series with the dub, except for the last 3 episodes, where the dub sat on a shelf for years until iTunes picked it up.

The stuff about remastering is very interesting. Would anime made for TV in the mid-90s (like, say, Slayers) be possible to remaster for Blu-ray? Or would it only exist on videotape? (Not that I'm clamoring for a Slayers Blu-ray, I'm just curious)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3