• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NASA's Valkyrie Robot Planned For Mars

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davy0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Cubix. Robots For Everyone.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
... And WHY was this posted on ANN?

What does it have to do with any anime or manga?
Where are the obvious Patlabor, Macross, or Gundam tie-ins? Wink

At any rate, the private plans to send people to Mars will probably beat any national effort.
There is no way NASA, ESA, the Russians, or Chinese will do this before current private initiatives... not gonna happen as things stand now.
NASA is too mired in the US budget problems and lack of focus for the past 40 years, the Chinese are too new in space and lack experience manufacturing the necessary hardware and really don't have all the answers needed, either, and every other nation or multinational group (ESA) is so bogged down with similar issues (money, no desire to really go past Earth orbit).

Too much bureacracy = makes the thing at least 100 or 1,000 times more expensive than it has to be. The bureaucrats also don't see the pay-off for themselves, either, otherwise they would have mobilized an effort like the US moon landing in the 1960s and that hasn't seriously been happening.

I'd be very surprised if the likes of private individuals like Richard Branson -- who I personally have nothing against -- didn't make Martian footfall first. HE won't be going himself but there are plenty of other people willing to go on a much leaner budget with more common sense than what's going on with the "official (re: overly bureaucratic) program(s)."
opconvoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Tho it is cool looking, when they said Valkyrie, I thought they would make it look more like VF-1S.

Oh wait, but then Harmony Gold will sue!
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

I said the same when ANN reported on Bioshock live-action movie, although I wasn't joking for that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unready

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
There is no way NASA, ESA, the Russians, or Chinese will do this before current private initiatives... not gonna happen as things stand now....

I'd be very surprised if the likes of private individuals like Richard Branson -- who I personally have nothing against -- didn't make Martian footfall first....

The Chinese soft-landed a robotic mission with a rover on the moon in December 2013, the first time anything has soft-landed on the moon since 1976. (There have been several purposeful "impact" landings over the years, i.e., intentional collisions, by several nations.)

The Chinese, Japanese, and ESA are considering collaboration with the Russians on future manned missions. The Chinese have openly stated that their ultimate purpose of extra-terrestrial exploration is exploitation of the mineral resources. (Notice my lack of mention of the US in anything preceding this sentence.)

The size of budgets involved in exploration beyond Earth orbit go beyond anything private enterprise has available to it. In 2009, NASA estimated the cost of the Apollo program to be somewhere in excess of US$170 billion in 2009 dollars. Branson's total net worth is estimated at something like US$4 billion.

For comparison, Gaddafi was the richest man in the world when he died. He was worth US$200 billion. The next closest is Carlos Slim Helu at US$73 billion, and he's still alive.

Yeah, none of this has anything to do with anime, manga, or games.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

I said the same when ANN reported on Bioshock live-action movie, although I wasn't joking for that one.

Because it's interesting and cool. A lot of anime fans like the Bioshock games; a lot of anime fans would be interested in seeing an actual, functioning robot that's made the leap from sci-fi to real life.
eduardo.a.lozada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the Lancelot Nightmare Frame from Code Geass. If it comes out into mass production, because it might, I'd like to buy one.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
The size of budgets involved in exploration beyond Earth orbit go beyond anything private enterprise has available to it. In 2009, NASA estimated the cost of the Apollo program to be somewhere in excess of US$170 billion in 2009 dollars.
The problem here is that Apollo both had to create everything from scratch and was such a prestige project they could overpay drastically to do it. At this point, all the technology needed to, say, settle Mars pretty much exists, waiting to be assembled and shipped over - which is the main issue today, given the enormous cost per metric fuckton energy has - and private efforts also tend to be forced to economize by not being able to simply take the money they need.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
... all the technology needed to, say, settle Mars pretty much exists, waiting to be assembled and shipped over ... and private efforts also tend to be forced to economize by not being able to simply take the money they need.

Sufficient radiation shielding technology for living tissue doesn't exist. The Earth's magnetosphere does quite a lot that people underestimate. Manned moon missions never lasted more than a week.

A long-term food supply doesn't exist. The Earth's biosphere does a lot that people underestimate. The Biosphere project (facility now owned by University of Arizona) has tried a few times and failed to sustain humans in an isolated environment. No one has gotten farther than they did, and they've pretty much given up.

Man-rated launch vehicles capable of putting a man beyond Earth orbit is a lost art and needs to be reinvented.

Private efforts are forced to economize by producing margin (return on investment) within a limited time horizon. Things that cost too much to be profitable just aren't done.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Because it's interesting and cool. A lot of anime fans like the Bioshock games; a lot of anime fans would be interested in seeing an actual, functioning robot that's made the leap from sci-fi to real life.

I understand, but it just out of place for ANN to report on Bioshock with no link or connection to Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The Martians won't be able to handle a pair of those Double D's.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Where are the obvious Patlabor, Macross, or Gundam tie-ins? :wink

(Well, maybe not obvious for the Macross one, just sort of "Six Degrees of Rick Hunter".)

But, might as well honor NASA with the musical tribute:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNp2m_WKMQQ
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
More importantly, will it shoot missiles and transform into a Gerwalk? Rolling Eyes
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
the design kind of like Honda's ASIMO, but ASIMO is smarter right now.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

Personally, I'd rather see more actual, functioning sci-fi anime.

I see no point to piddling around with mars when the moon is right there, has resources of note, and is much easier to get to than Mars (Does anyone else hear Bryan Cranston when they read that planet's name?). I'm somewhat surprised that the chinese didn't try to pull a political stunt by landing their craft closer to the US moon landing sites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2