• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Shiftiest of Looks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Namco is definitely making a name for itself over the past few years for trying new things. Shiftylook, Namco High (even if I never did play it) and putting out more niche games like Project X Zone whereas Konami has basically just outsourced all of their games to the west (outside of MGS which just charged you 40 bucks for the MGS5 prologue) while Square Enix, and Capcom have made some really poor decisions as well.

Read Wonder Momo, and I am a pretty big fan of it, artist is great, and I do find the comedy enjoyable, especially the Robo Momo storyline.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
So they're making an anime from an obscure video game from the 1980s?

Yeah, I'm sure people are going to watch that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So they're making an anime from an obscure video game from the 1980s?

Yeah, I'm sure people are going to watch that.

Its based on the Webcomic sequel to an obscure 80's video game. The main character is the daughter of the original Wonder Momo.

Also she did make an appearance in the video game Namco X Capcom which had an opening animated by Hiroyuki Imaishi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eanxcTWC75A

She appears falling on her ass at the 1:38 mark
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Its based on the Webcomic sequel to an obscure 80's video game. The main character is the daughter of the original Wonder Momo.

Ah. An obscure comic strip based on an obscure video game from the 1980s. Thanks for clearing that up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I think that was the shortest anncast to date. I guess there's not much to say this project, though.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
An obscure might as well call it a new IP property. People don't watch those.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Wow, I think that was the shortest anncast to date. I guess there's not much to say this project, though.

The interview with the flak from Daisuki might have been shorter, though I think there were some other segments to round out that episode at least.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
An obscure might as well call it a new IP property. People don't watch those.

Given the circumstances, my dreams of wanting THIS to be developed into something may not come to past, thanks kids, get off my lawn!
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Ah. An obscure comic strip based on an obscure video game from the 1980s. Thanks for clearing that up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tower_of_Druaga_%28anime%29

Bandai Namco doesn't care.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tower_of_Druaga_%28anime%29

Bandai Namco doesn't care.

At least it was something, I don't suppose it interested viewers to go back to the original arcade game though, but it would be nice.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac, Faxanadu! NES! Keeping it hardcore eh?I wanna say that is the second time you have used that.

Its Namco Bandai yes but all the titles mentioned are ancient NAMCO titles.

Namco is old school. Like, women walk three paces behind a man old school. I had family working there during Tekken 2's popularity.

Wonder Momo is the exact thing that you rally against. You are seeing her in her transformed state. She is a preteen. Its a pantsu game. It's about a young girl, in a play, with lecherous aliens scoping for panties. She can then henshin into Wonder momo to defeat perverts.

Not exactly an IP to bring out from the past. Wink

Maybe they cleaned up her image though. Just don't google Wondermomo without a few safety filters.

Nearly all the titles Rob mentioned or was interested in sounds like the Namco x Capcom artwork. That old shit is gone for a reason. Before I write him off props for him knowing the Digdug names. He must know what he is into.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Its Namco Bandai yes but all the titles mentioned are ancient NAMCO titles.

How soon we forget, of course being of the older set, I barely think of it as Namco Bandai myself, since it's hard for me to think of it as both names being together at all.

Quote:
Namco is old school. Like, women walk three paces behind a man old school. I had family working there during Tekken 2's popularity.

It's the 80's, do a lot of Coke and vote for Ronnie!

Quote:
Wonder Momo is the exact thing that you rally against. You are seeing her in her transformed state. She is a preteen. Its a pantsu game. It's about a young girl, in a play, with lecherous aliens scoping for panties. She can then henshin into Wonder momo to defeat perverts.

The same thought I had when I played it on Namco Museum Encore a decade ago!

Quote:
Not exactly an IP to bring out from the past. Wink

Maybe they cleaned up her image though. Just don't google Wondermomo without a few safety filters.

Too late, but then I should've knew better. I'll stick to ogling the PC Engine manual myself so I dig the artwork anyway.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see this mentioned in the News, so I'll post it here: Namco is closing down Shiftylook. Apologies if I missed it.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I didn't see this mentioned in the News, so I'll post it here: Namco is closing down Shiftylook. Apologies if I missed it.

Sad when these things don't last very long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1