• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Battlers eXperience/Danbōru Senki Coming to Nicktoons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
Why the hell did they have to change their names?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
marvel knight wrote:

Because they don't think kids would understand Japanese names.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
marvel knight wrote:

So they had to change Ban to Van? I can understand their surnames but Ban is an english word by that logic.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
marvel knight wrote:
Because apparently other cultures are too confusing for children? I dunno, I have never liked name changes. It's not like DBZ's Goku was renamed to "Gary" in the 1990s so I don't see why other anime dubs change names and erase culture. Rice Balls are not cookies, 4Kids.

I'm actually looking forward to Little Battlers. Seems like a perfect show to sell toys and it's not that bad in terms of action. More interesting than Bey Blade at least.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
marvel knight wrote:
Because apparently other cultures are too confusing for children? I dunno, I have never liked name changes. It's not like DBZ's Goku was renamed to "Gary" in the 1990s so I don't see why other anime dubs change names and erase culture. Rice Balls are not cookies, 4Kids.

I'm actually looking forward to Little Battlers. Seems like a perfect show to sell toys and it's not that bad in terms of action. More interesting than Bey Blade at least.

Yeah , 4Kids was horrible that way , and i'm thankful they never changed any of the DBZ's names except for Mr Satan/Hercule.

Yes , i have watched both this and the sequel with subs and i can tell you that its a great show.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
marvel knight wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
marvel knight wrote:

So they had to change Ban to Van? I can understand their surnames but Ban is an english word by that logic.

Japanese doesn't (naturally) have a "V" sound, so "Ba" is the closest approximation of "Va". The name "Ban" has been translated as "Van" in a few anime adaptations I can think of.

Mind you, I'm only in this thread because I keep misreading "Little Battlers eX" as "Little Busters EX" and getting quite confused. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="rizuchan"]
marvel knight wrote:
Mind you, I'm only in this thread because I keep misreading "Little Battlers eX" as "Little Busters EX" and getting quite confused. Laughing

yey not alone on this!!!!
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Glad that Nicktoons will be airing more anime. I'll watch this.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Nicktoons? Man, that stinks. I guess all the guns will now be neon colored and shoot lasers instead of bullets now and people will be sent to the Shadow Realm instead of dying. Name changes indicate it's going to be one of those dubs...

Who licensed it anyway? It seems kind of dumb to license the anime but not the game it was based on and other merchandise. It's like Battle Spirits all over again where they only get a part of the franchise then wonder why it did poorly.. Rolling Eyes
Davy0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Nicktoons? Man, that stinks. I guess all the guns will now be neon colored and shoot lasers instead of bullets now and people will be sent to the Shadow Realm instead of dying. Name changes indicate it's going to be one of those dubs...

Who licensed it anyway? It seems kind of dumb to license the anime but not the game it was based on and other merchandise. It's like Battle Spirits all over again where they only get a part of the franchise then wonder why it did poorly.. Rolling Eyes

We got one of those uh... what's someone like him called... "complainers"? You do realize that Nicktoons has aired anime that have said the words "die" or "kill", and have kept most things in tact in animes like Digimon Fusion, except for a few name changes and concept changes here and there. And also, you do realize that Danball wasn't even getting a lot of sponsors either, correct?

No one had to take the rights of this anime, at all. Nicktoon would do a better job of it than Cartoon Network would.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote

The thing you should be most worried about is the whole policy Nick has on 'seasons. Really hope YTV or Teletoon pick it up here in Canada so they aren't limited by the season style that Nick is.

And BoA is bringing the kits. I'm not trusting Level 5 to bring the games over given how long it's been. If they do, it'll probably digital only like Inazuma Eleven.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I happen to know that these "International Names" were chosen by Level 5 themselves from the very beginning.

They are used in every international market for the show and games.

So don't go blaming nick, this is how the franchise was planned from the very start.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
nelvana must be lazy, they kept most of the metal fight beyblade names the same.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote

The first words in this article are "Dentsu Entertainment". They're localizing the show. As for the associated products, the toys are coming. Japan didn't get the video game simultaneously with the show's broadcast either. The anime began in January, and the game came out in June.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
marvel knight wrote:
Gasero wrote:
marvel knight wrote:

Yeah , 4Kids was horrible that way , and i'm thankful they never changed any of the DBZ's names except for Mr Satan/Hercule.

Yes , i have watched both this and the sequel with subs and i can tell you that its a great show.

4Kids has BEEN dead since they became 4Licensing Corp. in Dec. 2012; both FUNimation and Viz Media changed Mr. Satan's name to Hercule for the edited versions of both the anime and manga, respectively.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2