• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Opens Wide in N. America

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Well that suck None of the theaters are showing The Wind Rises where I live. I guess have wait until for the Blu Ray release.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
AnimenexuS wrote:
Well that suck None of the theaters are showing The Wind Rises where I live. I guess have wait until for the Blu Ray release.

Same here. I'm super disappointed. They're even showing the commercials for it here so I don't understand why they wouldn't show it in any of my local theaters.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
That makes 3 of us. Omaha Nebraska theatres, none list this movie. Really upsets me since they're playing the hell out of the commercials.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
If it does well at the box office-and especially at the Oscars-it could always go wider.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Just saw this tonight. F*cking brilliant film. See it if/how you can. I wanna see it again!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
I've also seen TV adds, and nobody local is showing it. Not even the local arthouse theater.

FARTZ
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
It needs a full theatrical release, not the partial effort being put out for it. Just disappointing that.

Mark Gosdin
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
mgosdin: The American market's already pretty small for PG-13+ animated films, let alone ones about builders of kamikaze planes. Rolling Eyes FWIW, Disney's being generous supporting it at all, when they could be letting GKids distribute, where it'd get an even more limited release.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Poppy Hill was basically going to the true arthouses, the tiny one-screen or college campus theaters. This is probably going to be about as wide as Ponyo or something. It is playing by me, so I'll catch it next week.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
mgosdin: The American market's already pretty small for PG-13+ animated films, let alone ones about builders of kamikaze planes. Rolling Eyes FWIW, Disney's being generous supporting it at all, when they could be letting GKids distribute, where it'd get an even more limited release.

Ok, I will give Disney a gold star for getting this one into the 24 screen AMC Theater in Downtown Disney. Since that is only a few miles from my home I will be able to see the film in a good theater.

Now it is true that a PG-13+ animated film does not have any proven track record in the US, however films in Chinese with subtitles didn't either ... until someone risked it. One of those played to sold out houses in my old home town of Muskogee, Oklahoma, about as small market as it gets and a seeming world away from Orlando, Florida.

No risk, no reward. Just say'n it.

Mark Gosdin
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
yeah oddly enough i saw a trailer also and yet it's not going to be shown anywhere near me either (i even checked a previous address, not being show there either). I think calling it "wide" might be a bit of a stretch ... maybe "wide limited"
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
...when they could be letting GKids distribute, where it'd get an even more limited release.

Not likely, at least not as long as Miyazaki keeps his 'no cuts' clause in the licensing terms with Disney...

Quote:
(Guardian 14/9/2005)...Furthermore, Disney wields no creative control. There is a rumour that when Harvey Weinstein was charged with handling the US release of Princess Mononoke, Miyazaki sent him a samurai sword in the post. Attached to the blade was a stark message: "No cuts."
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
^ GKIDS is not the company you may think. They have lots of experience handling Ghibli and other foreign animated films, completely unedited. The distributed From Up On Poppy Hill into theaters and DVD/Blu-ray instead of Disney.

Actually, Poppy Hill might have been a bit more mainstream-friendly than this. However unlike that, this has Hayao Miyazaki's name attached to it.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
GATSU wrote:
...when they could be letting GKids distribute, where it'd get an even more limited release.

Not likely, at least not as long as Miyazaki keeps his 'no cuts' clause in the licensing terms with Disney...

I don't get your point here. Did GKids release a cut version of Poppy Hill rather than uncut?

But yeah, considering that Disney has been putting "Miyazaki's last masterpiece" on the forefront of their advertising campaign, you'd think that The Wind Rises would get a release at least as wide as Ponyo (927 theaters) if not more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Ya im pissed too. The secret world of arriety was in 1500 theaters(Which is sort of limited release) and Poppy Hill was in like 30 something at a time.Here in Western Michigan most of the theaters don't have limited releases but i was fortunate that The Grandville Mall(Which is in a suburb of Grand Rapids) Had Arriety and Poppy hill in the past. Well i checked today and i saw that The Wind Rises is only in 496 theaters which is way less then Arriety.I also see that the Theater in Grandville doesn't have it either which pisses me off. So if anyone in West Michigan wants too see it they have to go to Grand Rapids. I still wonder why the release is so limited compared to Arriety?I mean i understod why Poppy Hill was but i mean come on Its Miyazaki's last movie!But ya either way I am at least glad i got to see Poppy Hill and Arriety,Heres to hoping more theaters nationwide get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4