• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell's 25th Anniversary Marked With 4 Projects

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEArgumedo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for all these projects. I'm a big Ghost In The Shell fan. If only the would bring the original out here in the States on Blu-ray. Ditto for the Stand Alone Complex seasons.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
JEArgumedo wrote:
Can't wait for all these projects. I'm a big Ghost In The Shell fan. If only the would bring the original out here in the States on Blu-ray. Ditto for the Stand Alone Complex seasons.

I'd love to see SAC on BD. What's the deal with a Arise Dub anyways? Funimation's scares on any real info on it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
JEArgumedo wrote:

I'd love to see SAC on BD. What's the deal with a Arise Dub anyways? Funimation's scares on any real info on it.
They have a collector's edition for sale at a rather high price (Good price for the bonus stuff, but I dont want any of that). They recently announced the 2nd one for CE release. I cant find any info on standard editions. I asked them about it and they completely ignored me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
I love the Ghost in the Shell franchise, but I just can't get past the character designs for Arise.

So the Arise mini movies are not interesting to me, unless the character designs are quite different. Which might be the case, if each show is allowed it's own different direction. Previous movie anthologies like this, have been varied to some degree. So there is some hope, that one of these mini movies will be a shining diamond.

Looking forward to the eBook version of GitS manga.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't find details about the musical event/concert at:

http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/koukaku-special/

Did anyone else find anything?
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
I'd love to see SAC on BD. What's the deal with a Arise Dub anyways? Funimation's scarce on any real info on it.
They're eventually doing a more standard home video release in the future. My guess is it'll either a be a full 4-episode single release or two 2-episode releases. There was talk about a US theatrical run for the first two together (unless I'm mis-remembering), so it's possible they could dub them two at a time. I'd had hope that they'd contract the dubbing out to ZRO Limit/Animaze, but with Kevin Seymour now passed away, that's less likely. Maybe they'll hire the LA cast anyway for continuity (even though the Japanese cast was entirely replaced).

And +1 to SAC on BD. Great, great-looking show.

Last edited by Greg Aubry on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valvados

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Any chance there's a way to buy a poster of that 25 Anniversary image without the "25th anniversary" text on it? Anyone know?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This is surprising I didn't realize it had been this long already. Well, I look forward to seeing what these projects entail.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
j Talbain wrote:
I'd love to see SAC on BD. What's the deal with a Arise Dub anyways? Funimation's scarce on any real info on it.
They're eventually doing a more standard home video release in the future. My guess is it'll either a be a full 4-episode single release or two 2-episode releases. There was talk about a US theatrical run for the first two together (unless I'm mis-remembering), so it's possible they could dub them two at a time. I'd had hope that they'd contract the dubbing out to ZRO Limit/Animaze, but with Kevin Seymour now passed away, that's less likely. Maybe they'll hire the LA cast anyway for continuity (even though the Japanese cast was entirely replaced).

And +1 to SAC on BD. Great, great-looking show.

Yeah, I definitely think they're just waiting for 2 or 4 episodes before doing their regular release(s) too. Man would love the SAC cast back for Arise (like finally for Innocence) even if the Japanese cast changed. They're just so perfect.

And another, I'd totally double-dip for SAC on blu-ray.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I really want the SAC cast back for Arise. Anything but a lame Funi dub for GiTS please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Masamune Shirow's work over the most of the animes that were produced with property. Arise is call back to the Manga but in different way, which is fine with me.

I wish Masamune Shirow would produce new work for the Manga. I doubt there will be anything of that happening. most folks are used to what come out already in the GiTS versions.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I love the Ghost in the Shell franchise, but I just can't get past the character designs for Arise.

So the Arise mini movies are not interesting to me, unless the character designs are quite different. Which might be the case, if each show is allowed it's own different direction. Previous movie anthologies like this, have been varied to some degree. So there is some hope, that one of these mini movies will be a shining diamond.

Looking forward to the eBook version of GitS manga.

I'm pretty sure all the art direction/design will be the same for all 4 movies, why would they change it up? Arise is like the Evangelion rebuild movies, a story split up into 4 parts - but with Arise those parts are directed by different individuals. The audio direction is stunning for the GiTS: Arise BD releases, and Border 2 (Ghost Whispers) just may be one of the best 5.1 HD audio tracks I've heard from an anime....phenomenal music sound track. And then there's the audio in the action sequences...

An English friendly SAC BD release (that you don't have to sell an arm and leg for to obtain... ) would be highly welcomed - been wanting that for YEARS...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1