• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: South Carolina Non-Profit Provides Manga Library for Local Cons

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I've lived in SC for years. Why am I just NOW hearing about this?
purplebird76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Gah! I live in Georgia! So close!Q.Q
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I will always be grateful to my middle school for having what very little manga they had (Only two books.) "Kitchen Princess" volume 1, and "Yotsuba&!" It might not seem like much, but because of Manga I learned to love reading. Some people need visuals to be interested in the story. And it's because of manga that I've made all the friends I have today. To this day I try to encourage my high school's library to buy more manga series's so more people can enjoy them. (Most of them are for guy's and I'm trying to get some girl manga in the library as well suggesting series's like Kimi ni Todoke, Sailor Moon, Fruit's Basket, etc. At least they've got the full series of Ouran.) But yeah, if you can try to bring in manga to your library's or school library's. Because for a lot of people (especially people who live in small town's that don't have book store's) that's the only way they'll be able to discover its charm and magic. I know, I was one of them.
normajean19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
I've lived in SC for years. Why am I just NOW hearing about this?

Same here! Wish I had known about this sooner!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP my college is in SC! It sucks I don't really have transportation but this is still good news.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
That's great to hear. It's similar to what AnimeNEXT does on the East Coast cons. They've done the Manga library at Otakon for years.
CarolinaMangaLibrary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
Hi there! This is Laura Mehaffey, and we're so grateful for ANN for posting about our organization. Our goal is to bring our library to conventions all across the country, and to eventually open permanent facilities in various cities.

We have been guests at ten conventions in the past year, and are busily booking more shows for this year and future years.

For those of you in SC and GA, we are going to be at Hoshicon and Nashicon this year, and are heading north to Ohio for Matsuricon.

If you would like us to come visit YOUR hometown convention, urge your convention staff to invite us. We are a completely FREE library, and want to bring manga to the people of the world!
unready

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
South Carolina Non-Profit Provides Manga Library for Local Cons

Hmm, just from the article title, I was expecting to read about someone providing manga to guys in prison, but I guess this is okay, too....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1