• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mikoto's Coconut Cider Recreated, Sells Out at Vending Machines

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if coconut cider tastes any good, considering how weird it sounds.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I presume it's non-alcoholic cider, considering all the Railgun girls are only supposed to be around 14 or 15 (aside from Misaki Shokuhou, perhaps).

I'd probably sooner go for Uiharu's Strawberry soda, if I had an option. (Not my favourite of the girls, but my favourite flavour of those four. I often drink Williams Sir Perry Berry strawberry-flavoured pear cider, which is the alcoholic kind.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Bought the Coconut Cider and Strawberry Oden coin banks when in Japan last year. Looking at it now, I should have gotten the other two as well. (Anime smallmouth)

Didn't think that they were actually going to make it a reality!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Wonder if coconut cider tastes any good, considering how weird it sounds.

I imagine it probably doesn't taste that coconut-y. I think they added some pineapple juice for flavor, so it's probably just generically tropical/tangy.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wait, reading more about "Strawberry Oden" on the "Strange Juices" page on the Railgun wiki, I hope the real world version is *only* strawberry soda or strawberry juice and doesn't have some of those other ingredients.

Quote:
Type of beverage: Oden beverage
Ingredients: Strawberry, fish cake, fish paste, konjac, radish, quail egg, seaweed, combined dried gourd strips, spice, soysauce, salt, essential amino acid, plain oden
Manufacturer: Academy City IKAMONO Production Committee Central Laboratory
Referred to as one of the two juices from hell by Mikoto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Oh, wait, reading more about "Strawberry Oden" on the "Strange Juices" page on the Railgun wiki, I hope the real world version is *only* strawberry soda or strawberry juice and doesn't have some of those other ingredients.

Quote:
Type of beverage: Oden beverage
Ingredients: Strawberry, fish cake, fish paste, konjac, radish, quail egg, seaweed, combined dried gourd strips, spice, soysauce, salt, essential amino acid, plain oden
Manufacturer: Academy City IKAMONO Production Committee Central Laboratory
Referred to as one of the two juices from hell by Mikoto.

Christ... I've drunk some pretty nasty things in my life (my homemade wine comes to mind), but I don't know if I would ever be able to stomach that.

Is Railgun really that good? I know it has a rabid fanbase, but I really don't know if or how worth my time it is to invest in.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I have a hunch those guys bought it just for the can. Collectible stuffs. Confused
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
So including this how many more announcements do we have left?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Is Railgun really that good? I know it has a rabid fanbase, but I really don't know if or how worth my time it is to invest in.

I enjoy A Certain Scientific Railgun, at least in manga form. I've seen bits of the anime but have held off buying it because it wasn't on Blu-Ray. It's a good mix between paranormal action and slice-of-life comedy that rather reminds me of an anime/manga/light-novel version of Marvel's New Mutants, if Xavier's School was a whole city with a hidden agenda most of the students aren't aware of. (New Mutants more than X-Men since New Mutants at least touched upon the school life of the students.)

Interestingly, I still haven't really experienced any of A Certain Magical Index, which Railgun was spun-off of. Electric tsundere girls appeal to me more than weird amnesiac nuns.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Eh, just gimme fresh coconut milk with no preservatives.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
It would be pretty cool to own one being a fan of the show.

But those other flavors like Strawberry Oden are not real drinks and only exist in the Anime only.

Those other cans with the other flavors and character prints are replica piggy banks and not actual drinks.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

I enjoy A Certain Scientific Railgun, at least in manga form. I've seen bits of the anime but have held off buying it because it wasn't on Blu-Ray. It's a good mix between paranormal action and slice-of-life comedy that rather reminds me of an anime/manga/light-novel version of Marvel's New Mutants, if Xavier's School was a whole city with a hidden agenda most of the students aren't aware of. (New Mutants more than X-Men since New Mutants at least touched upon the school life of the students.)

Interestingly, I still haven't really experienced any of A Certain Magical Index, which Railgun was spun-off of. Electric tsundere girls appeal to me more than weird amnesiac nuns.

Not really a spoiler but that amensiac nun thing only lasts for like 4 episodes. Index is basically the same thing except with actual magic instead of everyone having a specific power. I enjoy them both equally, as my favorite Modern-fantasy series.
Quote:

" Tachikawa —the city where the series takes place— stocked up with limited edition cans of the cider."
It takes place in Academy City but I assume it's based off of Tachikawa Smile
kazziyan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
So including this how many more announcements do we have left?

Still 7. This is part of a promotion campaign. None of the 10 projects.

We'll likely get the next set of announcements for that on May 10 alongside Shinyaku 10 release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1