• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Golden Time Episodes 13-24 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It was okay, though I thought the spoiler[reset button happy ending] seriously hurt its own underlying message. See here for details.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Highly enjoyable series, that I'm glad I started watching. It's fun, and simultaneously heart wrenching. But I'm glad it has a solid ending, a good ending at that!

My only real complaint is that 2D-Kun didn't get nearly enough development or screen time...
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Aside from a rushed ending part and I only really mean at the very very end, not the entire final episode just really the last ten minutes...it was one of my favorite Dengeki series.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It may not have been the best idea to binge this show because the day after, when I went to work, I was emotionally drained. On the plus side, it allowed me a type of clarity when assessing scripts I never had before, so it evened out.

Also, this felt like the first time in a really, really, and I mean really long time, that I honestly rooted for the main couple.

Why can't more anime be set in college?
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, final episode felt like 2 episodes compressed into 1 to me. Some important scenes felt too rushed at the end.

The series also had a bit too much Koko waifu pandering at times, but on the whole this was a really sweet series that really knew how to press the right buttons when it needed to.

That second opening song always bugged me though. Was a bit weird and ill fitting...
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Watching this just made me have to double check that the characters were really supposed to be in college. Banri especially acted like a middle schooler with all his temper tantrums. These episodes were downright painful to watch. Not emotionally painful, just grating on my nerves painful. Finally I just stopped caring about them for the last 3 episodes and it went by much smoother. So I guess I'm the opposite of Carl. When you turn off all emotion and just don't care about the characters any more, it becomes a tolerable series.
asckj1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
The series was so horrible that i dropped it around ep 10/11 I think. What the heck's up withn all those girls acting super pervy and hitting the guys? And even koko's personality was too darn annoying!

*sigh* i think its time for me to stop watching new shoujo anime.
Misopup

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad the blasted show is OVER! Gawd! The endless melodramatic little-boy-who-refuses-to-grow-the-fsck-up whining!
Were I his H.S. crush, I'd have pushed the clingy, immature, grasping leech FAR away!
Loved the artwork. Came to despise the story.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
asckj1 wrote:
i think its time for me to stop watching new shoujo anime.

It's time to learn that just because an anime has romance does not mean it's shoujo.

Anyway, like the author's previous work Toradora, Golden Time completely falls apart when its focus turns to drama. Actions done by the characters make absolutely no sense given their prior actions and growth. It's unfortunate but I guess drama can be difficult to portray. For a long time I wasn't sure what people meant by "forced drama" but now I get it. Golden Time made it perfectly clear. Not once, but twice, the main character was about to explain to his close friends about his situation and wouldn't you know it? spoiler[Right at that time is when he decides to completely flip out and act irrationally towards everyone] because I guess the author wanted to draw it out a few more volumes and wasn't talented enough to come up with something.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked the strange case of the main character against himself, I loved all the characters and I was so well engaged with the story that I "no!" and "hooray"'d for the main couple as the series progressed.

The sole point against it was that it was entirely focused on the main duo - Linda, Oka and Yana are having problems but it only matters how their problems affect Koko and Banri.

Sure, their problems are nothing compared to Banri's but it's still a bit selfish.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Did we watch the same show? As a devoted viewer of anime's various Big Boxes of Sad (Clannad, ef, Anohana, Rumbling Hearts, etc.), the heartfelt drama described in this review sounds terribly appealing. Unfortunately, I watched this show, and saw all those elements subverted and ultimately ruined by the absurd premise of spoiler[Banri's amnesia personified as a willful, malicious ghost], which was so ham-handed and implausible that it wrecked the show for me. By the last few episodes, when it became clear that this was the element of the show that the writers and director had most committed to, I switched to hate-watching through the last few episodes, which made them much more tolerable.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
asckj1 wrote:

It's time to learn that just because an anime has romance does not mean it's shoujo.

Anyway, like the author's previous work Toradora, Golden Time completely falls apart when its focus turns to drama. Actions done by the characters make absolutely no sense given their prior actions and growth. It's unfortunate but I guess drama can be difficult to portray. For a long time I wasn't sure what people meant by "forced drama" but now I get it. Golden Time made it perfectly clear. Not once, but twice, the main character was about to explain to his close friends about his situation and wouldn't you know it? spoiler[Right at that time is when he decides to completely flip out and act irrationally towards everyone] because I guess the author wanted to draw it out a few more volumes and wasn't talented enough to come up with something.

Torodora, that explains a lot. I don't think either is a bad show, but both of them seemed to just lose my interest halfway through. I really think the inclusion the ghost in this one was especially weird. Like I said neither is bad, but I just feel there are better works with similar ideas.
teferi

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Watching this just made me have to double check that the characters were really supposed to be in college. Banri especially acted like a middle schooler with all his temper tantrums. These episodes were downright painful to watch. Not emotionally painful, just grating on my nerves painful. Finally I just stopped caring about them for the last 3 episodes and it went by much smoother. So I guess I'm the opposite of Carl. When you turn off all emotion and just don't care about the characters any more, it becomes a tolerable series.

So I guess being depressed, having amnesia and dealing with the fact you might stop existing is no excuse for acting irrationally. OK.
asckj1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
asckj1 wrote:

Oops sorry. I should have checked the genres for this show before making my statement. Definitely gpoing to keep that in mind.

But then again if genres like Seinen could get corrupted by anime like Golden Time, I can only wonder what's in store for shoujo genre anime. And before anyone lashes out at my statement- its my personal opinion only!
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Anyway, like the author's previous work Toradora, Golden Time completely falls apart when its focus turns to drama.

...And I thought Toradora got BETTER once the drama kicked in and the comedy was less. Anywho, considering how much I enjoyed Toradora, I'm really looking forward to finally watching this. I have to watch thru a couple of older shows first...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2