• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magi - The Kingdom of Magic Episodes 13-25 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree with this review. It's pretty rare I actually think Carl is just wrong and this is not one of those times. I did miss having Morgiana around...it does make you miss her even more when they do it in the manga. I really like the politics of Magi, it makes feel like there isn't an exact bad guy...you know aside from you know who; I wish more shounen would try this approach as opposed to their good guy V.S. bad guy linear stuff.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Akuma-Soul wrote:
I agree with this review. It's pretty rare I actually think Carl is just wrong and this is not one of those times. I did miss having Morgiana around...it does make you miss her even more when they do it in the manga. I really like the politics of Magi, it makes feel like there isn't an exact bad guy...you know aside from you know who; I wish more shounen would try this approach as opposed to their good guy V.S. bad guy linear stuff.

Actually as far as the big three is concerned I'm sure there have been villains like this. Naruto has a bunch of them (TOO many imo), Bleach technically had this during the soul society arc since the soul society were the good guys and Ichigo was fighting against them and for as long as One Piece has been going on I'm sure they've had one too (though i can't say for sure since i haven't been following it).

Magi did the sympathetic villain route very good though. I've seen the the whole "So and so killed my family so that gives me the right to commit mass genocide" bit so many times that i actually have problems feeling bad for villains with tragic backgrounds now. So of course when we first saw Magnostadt's flashback on his past i rolled my eyes a bit. Still as the show went on i began to find his character more and more compelling. He was such a genuinely nice guy and at times I felt like rooting for him but just as i was feeling that he would pull something that made me despise him (like when he knocked away the kid trying to talk to him).

That's an example of a great villain imo. Someone who has understandable motives but goes about them through the wrong means.

Concerning the OST, while there is definitely an abundance of Shiro's style meshed in there with the chilling vocals and blood pumping guitars I'd say the credit for the amazing orchestral pieces go to Masamichi Amano for the most part. Considering he has been an orchestrator and arranger for pretty much ALL of Shiro's recent works I think it would be unfair to leave him out of the glory. Magi does have pieces that sound very similar to some of his works in "Giant Robo the Animation".

Anyways since i don't feel like typing another post so here is a copy and paste of a post i made on my overall thoughts on this season.

"Personally speaking i have to say the first season was much better. Yes the anime original ending kind of put a damper on things but that alone didn’t stop me from enjoying it more.

I still liked this season as well but I just don’t like how Morgiana and Alibaba got completely shoved to the side while the show exclusively focused on Aladdin for the most part after they left each other. We get to see absolutely none of what Morgiana was up to which upset me since she has been my favorite of the trio. Alibaba got a little more love but not nearly enough since we don’t even see him use his equip when the story cuts from him.

I think the first season had a perfect balance of character development and story progression as well as world building while here they kind of just stuck to advancing the overall story and powering up the cast (even though we were really only shown Aladdin getting stronger).

We are introduced to characters who will no doubt be important in the future like Titus and Kouen + his subordinates but i never really found them to be that interesting (though i’ll admit i do have somewhat of a soft spot for Titus). I also have to say i don’t like how long and drawn out the battles have become now. This final battle with the medium took what 3 or 4 episodes to finish? At times it felt like was watching DBZ battle or something. It’s only entertaining to see characters using the same attacks, getting powered up just to do the same things again and having characters shouting “WOW LOOK WHAT THAT GUY DID!” before it gets old.

I know they have to cover whatever they can with the limited amount of time they have so they probably had to skip over things but it still bummed me out quite a bit. I still have can’t wait for whatever comes next in the series but i hope that Morgiana and Alibaba get more attention than they did here."
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
After seeing all of KoM, I can't wait to see more.
ScarRedTiger

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
The clusterf*** of characters during the climax hurt struck my immersion some: "Wait, how'd you get here?""Weren't you busy doing the other thing?" like I was missing a chapter. But it also meant ALL the characters were in on the action so I quickly resumed fist-pumping to the action beats.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1