• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Mambo No. 6

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
I thought TokyoPop didn't exist anymore? Unless I'm mistaken, didn't they go out of business?

After School Adventure looks very interesting. A shame its only release outside of Japan is in Italy.

Also, very excited for when you dog writes the next column in Latin. Next week can't come soon enough.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
potatopurplexs3 wrote:
I thought TokyoPop didn't exist anymore? Unless I'm mistaken, didn't they go out of business?

They're gone, but they won't stay down. I'm not completely sure what's going on, but it seems like they came back, but only as a newsletter/pop culture thing. But then they decided to publish Hetalia on demand, which is why the recommendation in the article said it would be hard to borrow. What a mess.

On another note, it's great to see that the column author likes Sakura Tsukaba's works. I remember reading Land of the Blindfolded back in middle school, and it's probably still my favorite series by her.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
A Silent Voice sounds interesting...it's too bad it isn't getting a print release Sad
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Thirty six chapters translated. Going to read this online.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like Julius, I won't be getting Love Labyrinth of Thorns. It doesn't seem like it would be worth owning.
hoju22

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
From the get-go, A silent Voice is really enjoyable. As of late, it has gone off from its steady, heartrending pace, so I'm curious where the story will head.

Highly recommended.
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
potatopurplexs3 wrote:

They're gone, but they won't stay down. I'm not completely sure what's going on, but it seems like they came back, but only as a newsletter/pop culture thing. But then they decided to publish Hetalia on demand, which is why the recommendation in the article said it would be hard to borrow. What a mess.

Well, that's... odd to say the least. Wonder if that means if some of TokyoPop's unfinished series can actually get finished (like Fate/Stay Night.) or actually released.(like the Metroid manga.)
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for spotlighting A Silent Voice! It's a fantastic manga so far, and I can't recommend it enough. It's very realistic in the way it deals with cruelty and bullying, and it's absolutely heartbreaking because of that. But it's also really uplifting to watch Shouya and Shoko's friendship slowly develop, and both of their worlds opening up little by little as a result. Very unique series--I second the desire for a print release.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
potatopurplexs3 wrote:

Well, that's... odd to say the least. Wonder if that means if some of TokyoPop's unfinished series can actually get finished (like Fate/Stay Night.) or actually released.(like the Metroid manga.)

From what I know, all licenses reverted to the original holders when TP 'died' the first time. Hetalia and the Tarot Cafe (a manhwa series) were renegotiated. Plus, I believe they have all of their original series. But basically, don't expect much of anything from them besides that.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
potatopurplexs3 wrote:

The fact that Tokyopop still has a presence really does not improve the chances of those things being released. The licenses are available to anybody who wants to buy them. They have been available for several years.
Dark Horse picked up the CLAMP titles that Tokyopop had. But I cannot think of any cases where somebody has rescued an incomplete series and completed it.
But it certainly could happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

The fact that Tokyopop still has a presence really does not improve the chances of those things being released. The licenses are available to anybody who wants to buy them. They have been available for several years.
Dark Horse picked up the CLAMP titles that Tokyopop had. But I cannot think of any cases where somebody has rescued an incomplete series and completed it.

Yen Press picked up Alice in the Country of Hearts and the Kingdom Hearts series, while VIZ got Deadman Wonderland and Loveless.

Main thing is that they all were decent sellers.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
^And Vertical got Paradise Kiss, there's others we're probably forgetting.

I currently think of Tokyopop as a zombie, one that turns around sometimes and says a cheerful "Hello!" but then coughs to the side while muttering "brraaaiiinnnssss!" under its breath. Best to give it a funny look and run in the other direction. Sadly, when CMX went out, at least it stayed dead.

I've read No.6 up to v4, I got 5 and 6 at the same time, but haven't had time to read them yet, but yeah, it has been getting better as it goes on. But it's 9 volumes, the release dates are a comfortably close length apart (2 months, right? We've got June, August, October for the rest), I'm thinking of just waiting until the last volume comes out in October and binge reading it all then. Sure I'll have to wait until October, but the wait somehow won't feel as long.

also feel like I'm the only one collecting Animal Land sometimes, no one ever talks about it. Of course, I've got backlog volumes too so...
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see animal land only get a "borrow" I've been buying every volume since the second upwards (though I do forget when the release dates for the next ones are supposed to be.)

As for a silent voice I've really been enjoying it and would buy that just as fast... if there were a physical release... seriously this and one punch man need physical copies! They're too good for just digital!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^And Vertical got Paradise Kiss, there's others we're probably forgetting.

Kodansha USA picked up Tokyo Mew Mew and its sequel, Del Rey (when it existed) finished off Samurai Deeper Kyo, JManga (when it existed) had digital rights for Elemental Gelade, and VIZ also has digital rights for Chibi Vampire/Karin and DNAngel.

Of these, only SDK, Alice in the Country of Hearts, Deadman Wonderland, Kingdom Hearts, and Loveless were/are unfinished by TP's downfall. DNAngel as well, but VIZ only has rights for what TP published. Elemental Gelade was also unfinished, but I treat it a bit differently due to JManga's death. It's also a bit odd because, unlike the others, it apparently had a pretty poor sales.
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
But I cannot think of any cases where somebody has rescued an incomplete series and completed it.

I believe Kodansha released the last two or three volumes of Rave Master that TokyoPop didn't release, so there's that. I can see someone rescuing Fate/Stay Night and finishing it, considering how popular that series is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2