• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Edge of Tomorrow's U.S. Box Office Climbs to US$61 Million in 2nd Weekend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
And it still hasn't hit Japan, either. Box Office Mojo thinks it can still reach $100 million domestic here, too; so I hope it does.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
Looks like another "Blind Side" type situatuation. Compare it to TFIOS, which dropped from number 1 to number 5 after one week. The fact that the movie only dropped one spot in summer means it has legs.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Um, Edge of Tomorrow grossed $57,001,698 by the end of its second weekend. It's at $60,757,129 as of yesterday's announcement of Tuesday's grosses.

v1cious wrote:
Looks like another "Blind Side" type situatuation. Compare it to TFIOS, which dropped from number 1 to number 5 after one week. The fact that the movie only dropped one spot in summer means it has legs.

Going from the current numbers, it would be quite a stretch to say something like that. While Edge of Tomorrow may have only dropped one spot, it dropped 42.5% in weekend gross. While that is nowhere near bad, it's not much better than above average. Also, TFIOS is a different beast in that it is very fan driven, and that steep drop is because of the fact that most of the built-in fan base went to watch it first weekend. Also, Maleficent has had pretty average gross drop-offs so far (50.6% and 46.1%) and it managed to only drop one spot each week.

But yeah, I wish Edge of Tomorrow would do much better. I watched it a couple days ago and thought it was great aside from its okay ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Good news! How common is it for movies to earn more in their second weekend? The positive reviews helped! Go, EoT, go!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
I can only compare Edge of Tomorrow to the manga but both are very good. 8,5 for both. The manga has a better third act, a grim tone and a bit of softcore gore. But it is a bit short and the sidecharacters do nothing.
The movie is funny and Emily Blunt was amazing. The final fight felt like a different (but good) movie and hand-combat/gore were missed. The lead character are both very different but i liked the manga´s version a bit better.
Maybe Hollywood versions of japanese material can work. Metal Gear will be proving ground in my opinion. All in all the movie felt like the great videogame movie we never got to see on the big screen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
It looks like we've got another Pacific Rim here. With any luck, this should crawl its way to $100 million domestically, but it's not going to be the success Warner Brothers hoped it would be.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Only reason I didn't see it opening day or weekend was because I work so much and didn't have time.

Then the second weekend I saw it with friends and barely got a good seat much less a seat. We got their over 25-30 minutes early and the theater was nearly full. It was so bad that some people choose to sit on the floor in certain spots because their was no good seating, and the front rows which I refuse to sit because my eyes were full too. Hell people even used the handicap seats which are open if no one disabled is in the theater.

I liked the movie my friends hated the ending, I could live with it though. Still I was hoping for something more like the manga which had more desperation/determination etc, the main character you could really get into his head and suffer along with him. Still even the book was short too. Both Japanese novels versions I was hoping for a slightly happier ending not as over the top like the movie but give us something.

The movie should do alright the comedy helped vs the gore and violence. Compared to Pacific Rim which has a niche audience it will still turn a profit, many people of all walks of life went to see Edge of Tomorrow. Only real problem was changing the name from All you need is kill. More people would know of the film and what it was adapted from if Hollywood wasn't so dam PC and oh we can't have such a violent name with the words Kill in the title.

Last edited by Dfens on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, "All You Need Is Kill" doesn't make sense grammatically.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
True, but "Edge of Tomorrow" isn't exactly inspired. Something like "Reliving Defeat, Edging Towards Victory" would actually be relevant, but that's probably too long for today's brevity-plagued titles.

EDIT: I'm just going off the description given in the article. Otherwise I don't know the first thing about the story.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow nice!!! Looks like this move is doing very well, very surprising. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic: According to Box Office Mojo, EOT's actually got a lower drop than Cruise's Oblivion from last year, which did better, but which had a lousier reception. So WOM is still potentially strong enough to save it. Anyway, it's still got the Japanese box office and home video. As for Maleficent, it's profitable, but for what they paid into it, expecting another Alice, it's a bit of a disappointment.

grigo: MGS is asking too much. Plus, those games are already practically movies. But yeah, it's not that difficult to adapt Japanese source material, as long as it's not steeped in specific cultural nuances and when they actually care about body types.

Dfens: From a marketing perspective, regular Janes-i.e. non-geek female ticket-buyers-are not going to watch a movie called, 'All You Need is Kill'. It screams, 'This is a sausage fest-only affair'. But hey, if you really need it to retain its original title, you can always import the Japanese DVD/BD, since that's what it will be called over there.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Good keep it up, this movies deserves the money.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
It might make its money back with international ticket sales, but it's no smash hit.
grouwl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To be fair, "All You Need Is Kill" doesn't make sense grammatically.

To be fair, the name is a non sequitur of "All you need is kill the server that resets the time/space to escape the loop" but it would give you away the end of the novel now, would it?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Good news! How common is it for movies to earn more in their second weekend? The positive reviews helped! Go, EoT, go!
If you're talking about domestically, extremely rare. It took like a 42% drop in week 2. Opening weekend is the biggest weekend on wide releases the vast majority of the time.

It could reach $100 million domestically, but it's still done for here. Unless it pulls a Pacific Rim overseas, it's done for and going to lose money for Warner Bros.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2