• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Psycho-Pass 2's Scripts Overseen by Fafner's Tow Ubukata

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Should hopefully address the many issues that plagued the first psycho pass series. Much of it was too wordy though it did have a few memorable lines like the one about why traditional books are better than e books for stories.
Kofuyu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
So exciteeeeeeed!!! Anime hyper
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
So, Urobuchi's not involved at all, then? I don't know Ubukata's works, but Urobuchi not being on board surely is a blow to my excitement for the second season... Sad
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
Having a writer more versed in the genre might help the series a lot. While Ubukata work on ARISE was pretty decent, i hope he can help improve some of the issues with the first season. I don't think he'll have the excellent artistry ARISE had to help make up for some of the material. Hopefully he doesn't go as weird as Mardock Scramble but overall my excitement levels are the same.
RealityCheck=3=

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
i'm actually rather scared that Urobuchi's not going to be reprising the role as the script-writer. I was rather really fond of Psycho-Pass and would prefer it to not be tarnished by a potentially shaky sequel.

Then again, I did enjoy Mardock Scramble's writing quite a bit, but I still prefer Urobuchi's writing. And honestly, Psycho-Pass may have been wordy, but he's not aiming it to be just pure shonen action bang-bang-bang like a lot of people wanted from Psycho Pass.

It's all about the psychology and questioning one's status in society in a supposedly 'peaceful and perfect utopia' aka Dystopia. Urobuchi's works are pretty wordy, but they're not wasted diagloue either. They just like to explore the darkness of humanity: a theme that many people are not comfortable dealing with.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
So, Urobuchi's not involved at all, then? I don't know Ubukata's works, but Urobuchi not being on board surely is a blow to my excitement for the second season... Sad

Urobuchi will still be involved and credited for story concepts and scenario supervision.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
I loved PP, and was very disappointed by Mardock Scramble, so this is very sad news for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
#817446 wrote:
i'm actually rather scared that Urobuchi's not going to be reprising the role as the script-writer. I was rather really fond of Psycho-Pass and would prefer it to not be tarnished by a potentially shaky sequel.

Then again, I did enjoy Mardock Scramble's writing quite a bit, but I still prefer Urobuchi's writing. And honestly, Psycho-Pass may have been wordy, but he's not aiming it to be just pure shonen action bang-bang-bang like a lot of people wanted from Psycho Pass.

It's all about the psychology and questioning one's status in society in a supposedly 'peaceful and perfect utopia' aka Dystopia. Urobuchi's works are pretty wordy, but they're not wasted diagloue either. They just like to explore the darkness of humanity: a theme that many people are not comfortable dealing with.

My reaction to these news are well captured by this comment. I have liked all the stuff by Urobuchi that I have watched (I don't get the animosity towards him). I am still excited about Psycho-Pass 2, and I hope Ubukata is able to capture what made season 1 special.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Psycho Pass is one of my most anticipating fall anime. I just hope it will be good as the first season.

Last edited by Admiral Pizzaman on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
I'm still anticipating this series but I'm not too sure about the writer. I did enjoy Mardock Scramble to some extent but it wasn't anything earth ground breaking. I just hope it will have a similar experience with the first season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
If both men are involved with the show, hopefully they'll be able pull off a good compromise and still retain edgy story original anime had.

Part me doesn't like a new guy is taking over, while original writer is supervising. Everyone has different styles, same with writers.

I don't know, I like this hand over.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:

Urobuchi will still be involved and credited for story concepts and scenario supervision.

Yeah, but compared to also co-writing every single episode of the first season (minus the one with Yayoi's backstory), this will be a very different season, I'm afraid. I love this show and every non subtle line or gorgeous dialogue it is not ashamed of screaming at my face. Well, I'll still be watching, of course. As I consider the ending of the first season to be perfect, I can always go back and ignore everything that come's after that. And if it's good, all the better.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Wonder what's going on with fan favorite writer Gen Urobuchi these days. Wouldn't surprise me if he's just overworked and needs a break since he's basically been all but rung dry on Aniplex projects ever since he got super popular. In any case I expect this season to have a bit better character writing and emotion to the dialogue now but probably feature less of the psychological and moral dualism stuff. I mean there's only so much a writer like Gen Urobuchi can contribute to the new season since his limitations in character and thematic writing are starting to become apparent and the show can't really just very well be a rehash.

Personally I'm starting to tire of the guys apparent contempt for anything resembling altruism and good faith triumphing or at the very least not being utterly denied in a storyline or character arc and apparent need to go for shocking twists and depictions of "despair" and hopelessness.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
The Psycho-Pass setting has a lot of room for societal commentary; one of the things I really liked was the way "the system" wasn't just rejected as evil or useless. Psycho Pass may have been wordy, but surprisingly enough for anime, many of the quotes used from literature were actually relevant. It was wordy because it was saying something. I guess I'm just hoping Ubutaka also has something to say.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see Mardock Scramble, but the first anime of Fafner was subpar, Le Chevalier D'eon was awful and the first episode of Arise I've seen was merely decent. I've been trying to give Ubukata chances, but he has been letting me down quite a lot, I'm really fearful of him taking over Psycho Pass. I only have 6 episodes left to see of the first season, but I thought it was rather good aside from the misquoting, unbalanced characterization and some overly melodramatic or poorly executed bits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2