• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ninja Slayer Teaser Streamed After Anime Expo Event

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
And by Studio Trigger too. I'm hyped to see this when it airs!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Studio Trigger has arrived to save anime from mediocrity once again! No, seriously. I saw this while scrolling through the main page and while clicking on it I simultaneously thought to myself "man, I wish Trigger would make another anime, I miss being excited for every new episode of Kill la Kill at the end of a long day." And look what they've blessed upon us now! Ninjas! Slayers! Separate they are cool, but together? MIND-BLOWING![/b]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Are they going to continue pushing that "totally made by 'Mericans" charade as it gets closer to coming out? I just get this feeling of them trying way too hard to appeal to the west to the point of annoyance.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Are they going to continue pushing that "totally made by 'Mericans" charade as it gets closer to coming out? I just get this feeling of them trying way too hard to appeal to the west to the point of annoyance.

More accuratelly, to appeal to Americans, exactly...
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, if they got popular by doing Ninjas, I'm doing Martial arts one day with inspiration of Terminator and Fist of the North Star.

I think I may of a goal set and a reason in making comics again.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I feel like the point is being missed here. The authors appear to be deliberately making fun of Americans and their dark, edgy ninja fixation. This entire project is a hilarious troll, and I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
I feel like the point is being missed here. The authors appear to be deliberately making fun of Americans and their dark, edgy ninja fixation. This entire project is a hilarious troll, and I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Yeah, I'd be willing to overlook that so long as it actually delivers on that generalizing that Americans want more stuff Ninja Scroll by containing gratuitous ultraviolence and sex. That way I wouldn't even have to bound on liking it ironically.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm a lot more excited about Ninja Slayer than I probably should be. It's easily the one show I'm looking forward to the most next year.

All the things I've seen and read about it just seem to be *EXACTLY* what I'm looking for. I'm really hoping to harkens back to the good ol' days of ultraviolent '90s OVAs. I also like how the teaser trailer was highly satirical and done totally tongue-in-cheek. It doesn't even bother me that it didn't feature any actual animation or footage. Then again, they could probably animate this in the same style as Inferno Cop and I'd still love it.

Honestly, I want Ninja Slayer to come out and for all the serious anime reviewers to *hate* it. I want them to all call it "outdated, stereotypical, chauvinistic, B-movie trash".

Then I'll know that it'll be perfect. Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
That's the problem if it's a TV series, you can't have all of those qualities that make MD Geist what it is when censorship is everywhere.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's the problem if it's a TV series, you can't have all of those qualities that make MD Geist what it is when censorship is everywhere.

That's true, but then again they somehow got away with airing stuff like Elfen Lied, Gantz, & Shigurui on TV, so they could make it work somehow.

Even if they have to censor the TV broadcast in Japan, just as long as we get the home video masters on our shores eventually, then I'll be happy. Cool
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know; it just seems extremely basic in both execution, story, etc etc. Even with Trigger's name stuck on, there's nothing that I've read from this work that automatically guarantees anything except mediocrity.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
It may be violent, but won't be anything dark or serious at all. If anything it's more like a parody of Ninja Scroll and the entire genre. Tokyo Otaku Mode is publishing the manga online and it's completely satirical, over-the-top.

They just released Ch. 4 and I see what Trigger referred to in their panel:
Quote:
syndicate boss Laomoto Khan (said so-called Agent #2, "He puts sushi on naked girls! He's evil. Very evil!"),

with Laomoto bellowing a "MU-HA-HA-HA-HA!" .. and:
"His delight affects the blonde oiran courtesans causing them to simulaneously climax"
...then later putting sushi on them

It makes me wonder if Trigger will include the nudity. Anyways, I think anyone looking for serious action might be disappointed since it's first and foremost a comedy.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
That just makes me want to watch it MORE. Very Happy
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
MD Geist hurt me and this project look like the failed Yaiba game form a few months ago. I hope for the best but the Ninja Slayer manga(s) are not that good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
May just have enough satire to intrigue Adult Swim
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2