• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sega Reports Weak Profits in April-June Quarter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Nintendo too.

"Japan's Nintendo shares plunge more than 6.0%"

• Tokyo (AFP) — Shares in Nintendo fell more than six percent in early trade Thursday after the Japanese videogame giant announced it was still mired in the red.

Nintendo shares dropped 6.29 percent to 11,550.0 yen soon after the Tokyo stock market opened.

The company said late Wednesday that it incurred a $97 million quarterly net loss, with higher costs tied to sales of its Wii U console digging into its bottom line while sales weakened.

The shortfall comes after the firm logged its third straight year of operating losses, underscoring the challenges faced by the one-time industry titan.

The maker of the Super Mario and Pokemon franchises has fallen on hard times in recent years, piling up losses as rivals Sony and Microsoft outpaced it in console sales.

All three companies are also fighting off a trend toward cheap—or sometimes free—downloadable games for smartphones and other mobile devices.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
So when is Phantasy Star Online 2 coming out in the West?

When are we getting a Phantasy Star V?

Why is Virtua Fighter not on Steam? (Sega Genesis VF2 doesn't count)
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
this is what happens when you don't make any games.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:

This. Hope this isn't too far off.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

This. Hope this isn't too far off.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, because I'd love to see these games in the U.S. too, but let's be honest for a moment: PSO2 wouldn't "save" Japan anymore than the combined forces of Space Dandy and Kill la Kill "saved" anime.

It's a shame that this is happening, but that's business, I guess...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
this is what happens when you don't make any games.

And rely on one franchise whose games have been of dubious quality as your main money maker.

They seem to be going into the free-to-play iOS field too, but nowhere near Candy Crush profitability obviously.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Nintendo too.

"Japan's Nintendo shares plunge more than 6.0%"

• Tokyo (AFP) — Shares in Nintendo fell more than six percent in early trade Thursday after the Japanese videogame giant announced it was still mired in the red.

Nintendo shares dropped 6.29 percent to 11,550.0 yen soon after the Tokyo stock market opened.

The company said late Wednesday that it incurred a $97 million quarterly net loss, with higher costs tied to sales of its Wii U console digging into its bottom line while sales weakened.

The shortfall comes after the firm logged its third straight year of operating losses, underscoring the challenges faced by the one-time industry titan.

The maker of the Super Mario and Pokemon franchises has fallen on hard times in recent years, piling up losses as rivals Sony and Microsoft outpaced it in console sales.

All three companies are also fighting off a trend toward cheap—or sometimes free—downloadable games for smartphones and other mobile devices.

Wow that is unfortunate, this news (and the one about SEGA) doesn't surprise me. The Japanese game industries continue to decline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
And rely on one franchise whose games have been of dubious quality as your main money maker.

Hey, I LIKE the Project Diva F games!

(At this point, in absence of PSO, Sega seems to have been reduced to the House that Miku Built, and...some of us are fine with that. Very Happy
And yes, that's speaking as an old Genesis owner. Even had the SegaCD.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1