• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks: Gatchaman Crowds Release Does Not Include Director's Cut Episode

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well that's a bummer, considering that the episode supposedly contains spoiler[the full version of the climactic fight from said last episode], or something like that. Here's hoping it can come here at some point.

At least they didn't outright lie about having it. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Looks like Sentai had better quality control in checking to see whether or not an OVA/bonus episode/minisode was on a disc.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Bummer, but then again this is exclusive to Japan. So it's unfortunate. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Looks like Sentai had better quality control in checking to see whether or not an OVA/bonus episode/minisode was on a disc.

That wasn't the case here. Sentai explained it: another group has the rights to the episode in question. It was red tape that got in the way.
Hononotenshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Well that's a bummer, considering that the episode supposedly contains spoiler[the full version of the climactic fight from said last episode], or something like that. Here's hoping it can come here at some point.

At least they didn't outright lie about having it. Wink

The director's cut actually explains spoiler[how Berg Katse enters Hajime's body. It doesn't have any extra scene from the epic battle with O.D., at least he appears afterwards all bandaged up, so finally we know he survives the fight.] You can search it as episode 13. It's a bummer this episode is not included in this release but I'm still buying it... soon I hope.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
Well, then it's worthless. If you support this incomplete release, you deserve not seeing the last episode. New low, Sentai, new low. This isn't some worthless extra, this is the FINAL episode.

And call me a skeptic, but I don't believe the ova "belongs to someone else".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
Maybe someone should send in an Answerman question if R1 companies can ever try to had it in a license agreement that any future addenda OVAs, specials episodes included on the discs, or alternate episodes also be included. I guess the answer will be "it's not worth arguing for and the Japanese will play the rigamarole game until you give up. You'll just have to license separately."
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe someone should send in an Answerman question if R1 companies can ever try to had it in a license agreement that any future addenda OVAs, specials episodes included on the discs, or alternate episodes also be included. I guess the answer will be "it's not worth arguing for and the Japanese will play the rigamarole game until you give up. You'll just have to license separately."

The problem in some instances is that the rights to any OVAs may not belong to whoever they license the show from, so including such a provision, if even possible, wouldn't help in many cases. Sometimes these are owned by the company that handles the home video release in Japan, and not the international rights holders.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, then it's worthless. If you support this incomplete release, you deserve not seeing the last episode. New low, Sentai, new low. This isn't some worthless extra, this is the FINAL episode.

And call me a skeptic, but I don't believe the ova "belongs to someone else".

So I'm guessing you would prefer they not release it at all, since they haven't been able to acquire the director's cut yet? At least they have been honest and up front about it, unlike another anime company that lead people to believe that OVA episodes were included that they never actually acquired and failed to do anything about it until people started complaining publicly.

If someone wants to buy this, they have every right to. It would be stupid to just not release the show because they can't acquire the entire thing. If someone wants to skip it for now, or possibly buy it later should the director's cut be acquired, then they have every right to. Personally, I'm of the mindset that I'd rather have some of the show than none of it.

Also I don't doubt the Director's Cut isn't owned by the international licensor, as disc exclusives are often held by whoever distributes show on home video in Japan. More than likely, there is an exclusivity window that is preventing it from being licensed for now.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It would be stupid to just not release the show because they can't acquire the entire thing.

Really? So you're saying that's it's not necessary to have the LAST EPISODE in order to do a proper release?
No, it's stupid to release something when you DON'T have the whole thing.

LOTR bluray boxset. Contains movies I & 2.
Star Wars Remastered, complete collection. Contains episodes I through V.

Yeah, makes perfect sense. TTGR would have been just as awesome without that pesky final battle. Should have just cut to the wedding when TTGR appeared.
KakulonSSJ4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It would be stupid to just not release the show because they can't acquire the entire thing.

Really? So you're saying that's it's not necessary to have the LAST EPISODE in order to do a proper release?
No, it's stupid to release something when you DON'T have the whole thing.

Except they DO have the whole thing, it just happens NOT to be the Director's Cut... LOTR was released in Theatrical Editions before the Extended Editions. If you wanted Theatrical, you could get it, otherwise you waited.

And if LOTR isn't the example you were looking for, then we'll go anime... Neon Genesis Evangelion had Director's Cut episodes for the last 4 or so (can't remember exactly). They weren't always available. So your argument is a little moot, considering the whole series IS there.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
How the heck can you say "the whole series is there" when it's missing THE FINAL CONFRONTATION. This wasn't some fancy artistic choice, they just ran out of time, couldn't finish episode 11 (or 10), and had to fill half of it with a flashback. So they didn't have time for the second INTENDED half of episode 12. Without episode 13, the show is INCOMPLETE. How do you not understand this? How can you defend shoddy business practices like this? This is exactly why companies keep doing things like this, because fools will buy their products anyway. Crappy dub? No problem. Missing extras, they'll bitch, but they'll still buy it. Missing final episode? Meh, nobody wanted that anyway. You deserve all the shitty releases you get with that kind of attitude.
KakulonSSJ4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
Apparently you didn't actually read what they were saying... this "Episode 13" IS Episode 12, it just happens to have a little bit of extra content in it. There isn't a FULL Episode 13 that contains an entire 20 minutes worth of new footage that you've never seen.

I never said I endorsed buying an "incomplete" series, just like I never bought the Theatrical editions of LOTR, but to say that it's incomplete because the last episode isn't Director's cut, is false in this case.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
I seriously think he is trolling or not reading any other posts but his own, as it was already addressed the "epic battle" in its entirety is in the regular version of ep 12.

Isn't this getting a second season anyway? If so Sentai will probably get the ova by the time they put out season 2.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Look, I've SEEN episode 13. It contains 15 minutes of completely new footage including:
- OD's fate
- Rui's new activities
- Hajime VS Katze
- the fate of the cube alines
- the epilogue.

Don't tell me it's not incomplete when I actually know for a fact that it was supposed to be included in the original episode 12, but ran out of time with episode 11 (or 10) and were not able to put it in.

And no, the original episode 12 does NOT contain the final confrontation between Hejime and Katze. Why do I know that? Because I've seen that episode as well. So, until you've watched the director's cut yourself, you have no idea what it does and does not contain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5