• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Late Night Chaos Too!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Nerdiest thing.. Embarassed I have too many to count. I still do them now. Embarassed
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I think is unfair to harshly criticize Gen Urobuchi for the wasted potential of works like Gargantia and Aldnoah.Zero if he only wrote 2 or 3 episodes, and the rest was written by someone else.

I am assuming that Urobuchi wrote all the episodes of Madoka Magica (TV) and Psycho-Pass, and look at how great those shows turned out.

Perhaps Urobuchi should stop working on shows he is going to only write 2 episodes. He should write all, or at least 75% of, the episodes.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think is unfair to harshly criticize Gen Urobuchi for the wasted potential of works like Gargantia and Aldnoah.Zero if he only wrote 2 or 3 episodes, and the rest was written by someone else.

I agree! I don't blame him at all! A job's a job, and I would take all the writing jobs I could take if I was him too, especially considering most of them are Nitroplus-connected at this point, so he's basically helping his friends with their projects. He and Takayama are tight, as I understand it. Guy seems to have a lot of creative friends, which might explain why his output is explosive and varied compared to even other "prolific" anime writers like Dai Sato. (Prolific is in air quotes only because it's in past tense. Dude USED to write tons on other people's projects as well, less so now.) Despite Booch's "shy" reputation, (which is quickly going away as he's REALLY begun embracing the limelight recently,) all his writing projects, good and bad, partial and whole, seem connected to his friendships with other creatives.

I don't blame him, doesn't mean it don't suck. None of Buchi's friends are very good writers themselves from what I've witnessed, so I don't like seeing his projects handed off...I've only had 100-ish episodes from him, dammit, I need more!

Last edited by JacobC on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Urobuchi's run on Gaim has me worried because he's been really, really good. I'm a huge Kamen Rider fan, and nothing was more disappointing than seeing last season Kamen Rider Wizard (the previous season), especially when it came on the heels on the insanely-fun Kamen Rider Fourze.

The new Rider, Drive, looks like it might be fun, but I'm afraid that Urobuchi's writing has spoiled me.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Hope, Gen only wrote the first three episode, so yeah... you are correct about your complaints. And yes, the whole "we martians are so superior to you pathetic humans" pisses me off. It doesn't make any sense, many of the martians should still remember BEING on Earth. It was only 50 to 60 years since they moved to Mars. Also, I understand people being smug about their pedigree, but the martians are only winning because of superior tech. Give the Earth the same tech, and the martians are screwed. They have zero tactics.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Beyond the changes in themes and emphasis, I would say that the characters are at the core of Aldnoah Zero's problems. If you're going to throw a bunch of twists and surprises at the audience, it's usually better to have already properly established the main cast and continue fleshing them out along the way. Otherwise, things will start to fall flat and we won't care. Slaine isn't a bad character, nor is Rayet, but a lot of the series is focusing on Inaho and co. instead, without even making them interesting enough in the process.

Sometimes a show can make up for that approach with either later character development, sheer entertainment value, emotional appeal or bringing the themes back in a different light, but in the case of Aldnoah Zero it's going to be jarring indeed, particularly when as Hope mentioned you have such a clear shift between how the series began under Urobuchi and what's happening now.

angelmcazares wrote:

Honestly, I think Gargantia and Aldnoah Zero are two distinct situations so it's not fair to just automatically group them together like that and dismiss both in the same exact way. Yes, they're both "works that were mostly not written by Gen Urobuchi" in practice, which means his writing quirks and talents are lacking in them, but for different reasons.

In particular, while he didn't write every single script...Urobuchi was probably less "hands-off" with Gargantia than people seem to currently suggest. He did handle the series composition for it, which isn't an unimportant job, as opposed to just being credited for the "original concept" or "original creation" and nothing else beyond scripting a couple of episodes, like with Aldnoah Zero, where said series composition is tellingly done by Katsuhiko Takayama, who is also doing most of the writing.

In other words, Aldnoah Zero can be considered Takayama's story based on a concept provided by Gen Urobuchi. I wouldn't be surprised if Urobuchi doesn't write for it anymore, not even for the ending, past helping things get moving at the start.

Meanwhile, Gargantia had both a concept and a story structure provided by Urobuchi, with a job position that suggests he could have supervised the work of other writers, and he did personally pen the conclusion after all. Would Gargantia have been better if he wrote every single episode? Likely so, but I believe the final product still reflects his own intentions a little more than what is being assumed here. It doesn't appear he was doing someone else a favor with that one, which is why I think Hope's interpretation is more fitting for Aldnoah.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I agree! I don't blame him at all!

I know that you were not blaming Urobuchi. When Aldnoah.Zero was first announced I suspected that Urobuchi was just going to have a small involvement in the writing. I only watched the first episode, and I was very, very disappointed by what I saw.

@nightjuan

From the little I watched from Aldnoah.Zero I could grasp that Urobuchi was not going to be very involved. I also think that it was a different story with Gargantia. The writing and tighter control by Urobuchi can be appreciated in Gargantia, especially in the initial episodes.

And I was not trying to bunch together Aldnoah.Zero and Gargantia. The person who asked the question on Twitter was the one who did that.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
You played the original Tales of Destiny, Zac. It came out in 1998 in English, I spent many hours on it back in the day. There is a remake for the PS2 that is miles better and really makes the original obsolete. Amazingly fun game.

Love the Tales series, thanks for all your hard work, Brady! I hope everyone's enjoying Xillia 2 now.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hope's laugh reminds me of Stephanie Sheh's laugh as Guu in Hare and Guu, that "huh, huh, huh," she does.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Big O's getting a Blu-Ray release in America? When did that get announced?
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a tad sad that you had to clarify your acknowledgement of the animation quality of The Thief and the Cobbler after you expressed your distaste for it. Granted i would have called you on it at a seconds thought i'm not even gonna pretend to lie but its a bit sad that we've gotten to the point in fandom where you can't just say you don't something and folks (in this case me) feel you owe them an answer as to why and people will forever be offended. Gave me something to think about there about my own hypocrisy. Had a little epiphany there but good podcast nonetheless. Very entertaining. Wink
NeySnow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Is the iTunes feed not updating for anyone else?
Sloggett

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
NeySnow wrote:
Is the iTunes feed not updating for anyone else?

Yeah last few weeks it's been playing up for me. Not sure what's going on.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
On importing from Japan:
Quote:
"If it's something I want, it'll likely get released here soon anyway".

Definitely hasn't been the case with remastered BDs for older anime. Lodoss is kind of new, relatively, but Gunbuster, Berserk, and Escaflowne have been out for a good while, and it took more than six years for AnimEigo to even attempt on Bubblegum Crisis. That market is absolutely lacking in America, with pretty much the only other recent movement being for Cowboy Bebop, Patlabor, and Cardcaptor Sakura. Sailor Moon obviously doesn't count since those are just upscales using old masters with a liberal application of filters.

I just don't feel like we're gonna see US releases of Five Star Stories, Riding Bean, Giant Robo, Zeorymer, The Cockpit, Aim for the Ace, Roujin-Z, Genma Taisen, or Angel's Egg any time soon, and of course any Macross BD is beyond reach.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
On importing from Japan:
Quote:
"If it's something I want, it'll likely get released here soon anyway".

Definitely hasn't been the case with remastered BDs for older anime. Lodoss is kind of new, relatively, but Gunbuster, Berserk, and Escaflowne have been out for a good while, and it took more than six years for AnimEigo to even attempt on Bubblegum Crisis. That market is absolutely lacking in America, with pretty much the only other recent movement being for Cowboy Bebop, Patlabor, and Cardcaptor Sakura.

There's also Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.

The U.S. Patlabor Blu-rays still don't include the movies or the second OAV series, though. Not sure how well they sold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1