• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irebun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
These are in no particular order.... ^^

Ergo Proxy: A very beautiful anime. The story-line is quite interesting. Personally im a big fan of sci-fi,and dark things, and Ergo proxy covers a lot of that. Each character have their own distinct personality which you can definately pick out.(i really reccomend it) ^^

s-CRY-ed: Has an awesome story-line. Its very fast paced, and theres at least one fight, or flashback of a fight, in each episode. xD
Each character have different flaws, and you can easily see how they struggle.(with being an alter)

Afro Samurai: I was a little hazy about buying this anime. Well acutually, at first, i didn't even know it was an anime. >.<
Its really short, 5 or 6 episodes.(i think) But the anime explains everything right away, so it wont leave you confused at all. There are also countless flashbacks of the main characters life and growing up. Theres plenty of blood, and a lot of fighting.(there might be 2-3 fights in one episode). There is some swearing and sexual scenes (well acutually just one scene) xD. But Samuel L. Jackson does very good voice work. This show was really great to watch. Very Happy

Gantz: Its one of those animes you can love, or you can hate. Im kind of caught in the middle. =\
Gantz has a deep storyline, and emotional characters. Though, when Gantz isn't focused on the main storyline, or fighting monsters, etc. It will try to incorporate sex. >.< I think Gantz could be so much better if it just lessened the amount of innapropriate scenes. Gants is pretty much a combo of blood&guts, and perverted crap. Kei(the boy one....yes there are 2 kei's, a girl and a boy...yes its pretty stupid) when he isnt shooting up monsters, is mostly found looking at kei's(the girl >.<) breasts...which i find very disgusting. Kei(the boy), which i found out right at the beggining of the show, have an extreme problem with dropping the F-bomb.(which startled me alot...lol) Um...im still thinking whether im to get season 2....im kinda scared.. lol
Yes i know it seems like i made Gantz out to be a horrible anime, but its really one of my favorites, once you get passed the rated-R scenes, it can be really enjoyable. =3

Full Metal Alchemist: This would be at my top 5 list of my favorite anime. The characters are really adorable, but they also have a versatility to become serious at any given moment. I admire Edward and Alphonse and their struggle to find the Philosophers stone. Also, they're are very good in the movie: FMA:Conqueror of Shambala. ^^

Last Exile: Wow, it seems lately this anime has become very popular, no?
Well i can understand why. it has one of the best storylines i've ever seen. The atrwork is also amazing. You can almost get a feel of their environment, and what the characters were feeling. There is a big range of characters personalities. For example... Lord Dio, he is sort of psychotic, yet brilliant in the way he thinks and talks. And Luciola(Rushiora?? lol) is very calm and collected, and definately more of a follower than a leader. This show pwns, period. (i really reccomend it!)
^^
Inuyasha: This is really a close call. Im torn between the cute characters and the repetitive storyline. It seems in every season, inuyasha and CO. haven't accomplished a single thing. Sure, they might have aquired another sacred jewel shard, but geez, how freakin' long does it take?!? inuyasha has a lot of potential, but its really just as long running as Naruto, or some other main stream anime.But it always seems like they're fighting the same old One-eyed, fire-breathing, 6 legged, man-eating monster, and i tend to get sick of that, dont you? But, i simple love the characters, Kagome and Inuyasha make a simply lovely couple, and i like seeing them together. I also like the comic-relief in some of the eps. But overall, i love Inuysha, but it just needs to shape up a little bit. >.<;;

Samurai Champloo: This show is very fun! I enjoyed watching there journey to find the Samurai who smelled of Sunflowers.(which wasn't exactly true ^^)Fuu i'd say, is one of those characters who loosens the tension between the bad things that are happening, and its really good to have her in the story; instead of the same old serious-ness that usually happens in most action-y anime. Mugen is loud and obnoxious and that balances out Jin's quiet and reformed personality. So, the three of them together make a good team! (i really reccomend this!) x)

Trigun:This anme has everything! Action, Romance, Blood, Sci-fi, Comedy! I knew that i would love this show, when i saw the first episode. Vash is a total bishie, he's funny, and can be very serious and feels a lot of sadness and sympathy for the people that get hurt of killed. *squee*! i love this show!!
(i really reccomend this!) :DDD

Blood+ : I really dont have much to say about this, since i missed a lot of the episodes...but from what i've seen, its a really good show. if you have't already noticed, i am a fan of anime that has a lot of action and blood and guts. xD And this show really hits every aspect of it. =33 (hopefully i can buy the boxset soon!)

Um....i think that was 10....lol i know i have more favorites, but i cant think of 'em now. >.<

OK! Now for the anime the i dispise!

Neon Genisis Evangelion: GAWD. I really hate this show with a passion. The characters are (if i may say this..) bitchy and whiney. They are really too unstable, and they just dont work.....I guess they're not your typical characters, and maybe thats why i dislike them so much. Asuka....ugh, dont even gt me started with her....she a rotten girl and she needs to have her skull bashed in. >X(
Shinji and Asuka together just irk the heck out of me, Rei...is O.K. she's not the shit, or anything, but at least, from what i've seen, she doesnt complain as much as the other two... =\

RahXephon:I never really got this show....per se...=P
It confused me about half way through. Ayato, is.....well...an interesting boy. I dont understand how he likes a woman much older than him....it puzzles me, but i wasnt sure if they even like each other. At one point didn't he somewhat like Quon? >.< Well, as you can see, i still dont have any idea what the show is about.

Well let me sum this up really quick....i really loath MECHA ANIME.... DDDD:
ok, there, i said it... xx(

Kino the Traveler: I really loved the characters, but they just really couldn't make up for the fact that story was dryer than a piece of toast. I really couldn't find a single exciting moment in this show. But thats just me, and i know a some people find shows with less action and more talking to be more enjoyable, and i respect that. =3

Naruto: Long, repetitive, and too many ninja. I keep finding that the characters dont vary very much. Well maybe its the fact that there are too many characters, eh? Naruto could be really unique, if they stopped introducing more and more people, etc. For example, Sasuke isn't the only angsty person in the story, so is Itachi, Gaara, Neji, im sure there are more.... >.<! It just annoys me that i keep seeing too much of the same things, like there outfits, im not really seeing any variation in anything.... Y_Y it makes me weep....

Well...thats all im gonna say for now....lol cause im tired of typing... >.>
Well, i hope that explains everything! =333
P.S. excuse any typos you may find... >.>
(lol sorry if this post is reallly long... :3
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
SinnerTim wrote:
Quote:
1- RahXephon
I was simply amazed by this series. It has the best story out of all the anime I've seen, with good character development and a great ending. The animation is beautiful. It just kept on captivating me with all the mysteries and the great plot twists. The story unfolds in a way that keeps you interested and curious by being complex and hinting at so many things. It all comes together at the end in a stunning fashion. One of the best romances out there as well. Definitely a masterpiece IMO.

Am I the only person who found the whole thing to be an Eva rip-off? Had a lot of the same characters, a similar plot, and basically a similar story progression. I didn't think it was bad, but it just seemed like it was trying so hard to be Evangelion.

You would have to read this thread. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38114 You're really not the first one to speak about this...it's been brought up countless times. And you should know that Evangelion is itself inspired from many, many other mecha anime.

Well, it has some similar elements and sure borrows from Evangelion. But eh, mecha are a common theme so that's not rip-off. Ayato actually tries and moves forward, and actually has a love relationship with Haruka. Shinji is just a lame guy. And you can't really label it a rip-off because it's about the character development of a teenage boy because, errr....there's a lot of those around.

RahXephon, in my opinion, just does more things than Evangelion and does them better.
j22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
My favorite anime are:
1. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed/ Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny - It has a wide variety of mobile suits, so there are many characters in the different sides of the conflict. All mobile suits being built, then destroyed. Then upgrading it into a better mobile suit.
2. Detective Conan (Case Closed)- Conan is an adult who shrunk into a kid. To protect his identity, he posed as Conan with the help of Dr. Agasa. He has gadgets disguised as garments he wears everyday.
3. Prince of Tennis- Ryoma Echizen can defeat other tennis players older and taller than him. He quickly learns and copies their special techniques.
4. Flame of Recca- Recca falls in love with Yanagi, then calls her his princess, making him her servant.
5. D.N. Angel- Daisuke has an alter ego. He has a crush on Risa, but she rejected him, making him sad. Eventually, he'll then love her twin sister, Riku.
6. Rurouni Kenshin- A story about a feared assassin becoming a humble rurouni. He has a legendary technique called Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu. He preferred not to kill after what he did at least 14 years before the start of the story, and of course Kenshin and his friends' adventures during the Meiji era.
7. b]Full Metal Panic![/b]- Soske is experienced at handling weapons, but he's not experienced at school life (I think).
8. Tenjho Tenge- The main characters are full of surprises. Its storyline is great! Even the fights have excellent quality.

Anime that I hate:
1. Dragonball Z
Plot doesn't thicken, the background is always being repeated everytime they fly, and its predictable consequences are boring.
2. Gakuen Alice
In my opinion, this is bad because the plot doesn't seem to thicken.
3. Naruto
Plot doesn't seem to thicken anyway, its main characters almost always act stupidly and some of the episodes seem to go away from Naruto's dream: to become the next Hokage.
4. Inuyasha
It is really endless. I guess that its directors didn't want it to end after a few episodes.

These are my favorite anime and the anime that I hate very much.

Last edited by j22 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You would have to read this thread. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38114 You're really not the first one to speak about this...it's been brought up countless times. And you should know that Evangelion is itself inspired from many, many other mecha anime.

Well, it has some similar elements and sure borrows from Evangelion. But eh, mecha are a common theme so that's not rip-off. Ayato actually tries and moves forward, and actually has a love relationship with Haruka. Shinji is just a lame guy. And you can't really label it a rip-off because it's about the character development of a teenage boy because, errr....there's a lot of those around.

RahXephon, in my opinion, just does more things than Evangelion and does them better.

Of course the mecha anime has been done, but Eva put a new spin on it by making them living creatures as opposed to robots.

I'm also not refering to the teenage developement principle, that's a common one, I'm not rippin Rahxephon for that one.

The characters just seemed very similar to Eva's, and the character dynamics in Eva were so much better. As I've said, I didn't dislike Rahxephon, I just don't see how someone could enjoy it more than Eva, unless of course they saw Rahxephon first.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
How can anyone hate the original Dragonball? It was the Superman of Japan.

Anime I Love
1. Dragonball Z - I'm sorry, but this is a unique creation; Chi in association with martial arts, ridiculously awesome characters? Revolutionary for its time.
2. Dragonball - Same as above.
3. YuYu Hakusho - I've seen this as a mix of Dragonball and DBZ with a slightly better story.
4. Cowboy Bebop - Awesome plotline, great characters, and a futuristic style I've never seen presented in anime before.
5. Great Teacher Onizuka - The plot's medeocre at best, but the finale really delivered a great message. Awesome comic relief, too.
6. Gundam Wing - I suppose I'm bias, as there are plenty of great Mobile Suit anime out there. However, I thought this one really delivered.
7. Inuyasha - The plot in this is fairly above average, and several of the characters are easily likeable. Best female manga artist, in my opinion.
8. Outlaw Star - One of my favorites back in the '90s - I loved the English dub.
9. Trigun - I always thought this was similar to Cowboy Bebop. Nicely developed story. Great characters, too.
10. Naruto (strictly 1-40) - Next Dragonball? Maybe without the filler. Believe it! It was believable with the first 40 episodes.

Anime I Hate
I guess I can't think of any.

Last edited by SS_Vegeta on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
SS_Vegeta wrote:
5. Hamtaro - Do you need to know?

Um, yes? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean all of us agree, so you HAVE to explain your reasons competently for every item you list.

Personally, looking at the fact that Hamtaro is a show designed for kindergarteners to have fun with, I don't see a problem with it. It's a fun, fluffy, good-natured children's show, so I love to see what your beef with it is given that you're bound to be at least a decade older than the audience the show reaches out to. Ditto with Pokemon, and I'd LOVE to know where you think that show is ripping off other titles. Seems the other way around, to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kersmaka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
1. Death Note: Although this Anime is rather new, considering it was released in 2006, I think that this series is the best I have ever seen. The storyline is so rich in detail and will always leave you wondering "how in the f*** is he so good at not getting caught". I am fully immersed in this Anime and is the greatest mystery I have ever watch let it be Anime or real-life crime drama. "L" is the perfect counter part to Kira, and this story is a true battle of intelligence.

2. Full Metal Alchemist: At first when I watched this Anime, I was mind boggled and thought it was a horror series. Then I sensed the great mystery behind the humonculous (spell check) and the military secrets. This is by far the greatest 52 (+1 because of the movie) episode Anime that never gets dull.

3. Naruto: Now I noticed a lot of people don't feel so strongly about Naruto but it's everything I want from a Shinobi story (well more blood would be better). I can see how it relates to DBZ in that this kid has super abilities and he will always be the strongest because he will always have a new technique to trump his enemy but it also focus's on all the other characters in the Anime. This is one of few Anime's that give the supporting cast credit too. Naruto can't do most of what his friends can do because they all have special abilities that can not be learned by him. This never gives all the attention to Naruto because I KNOW you want to see the new moves Sasuke learned.

4. Yu Yu Hakusho: This is one of few Anime's that never stop with action! I love martial arts tournaments and the way how Yuske Urameshi isn't a glory hog, the part with the 3 kings is the best! Mixed with special powers and just plan brute strength, Yu Yu Hakusho is a definite favorite!

5. Dragon Ball Z: This is one of the longest lasting Anime's and is in a league of it's own. Who wasn't eager to find out what would happen on "the next exciting episode of Dragon Ball Z"? When Goku was fighting Frieza, we all know we couldn't wait to see him go Super Sayian. No I will admit their is a lot of recurring theme's but to me, DBZ never got old (although "the strongest man in the universe" is never their when there teammates need him the most, is kinda weak).

DISLIKES

1. Paranoia Agent: Man was this one weak. I mean it was hard enough to understand let alone when you did, the villain is a kid with a baseball bat.. come on, and is the pink-pet-doll looking thing alive or not? Man is this Anime just plan weird.

2. The Big O: Okay, this one is just whack. Giant robot type thing and some kind of detective with a robot assistant to help him. Man I couldn't stand this Anime.

3. Inuyasha: I'm about to mention a spoiler so beware! Alright... this is the summary to each and every episode. Kigome: "Inuyasha"... Inuyasha: "Kigome!". Alright that's it... pretty much every episode is composed of Kigome getting captured, hurt, or she may have a paper cut, and then Inuyasha will come to the rescue.

4. One Piece: I F*N hate this Anime! I mean come on, their is NO action to it... who ever likes this needs to go play in traffic.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
kersmaka wrote:
2. The Big O: Okay, this one is just whack. Giant robot type thing and some kind of detective with a robot assistant to help him. Man I couldn't stand this Anime.

So you've given us a plot summary and a statement that you think it was "whack." Now do you mind telling us what you didn't like about it? I mean, even your sorry description of One Piece managed to at least mention that you didn't like the action in it, but this one just says nothing at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Big O was like the Batman of anime w/ robots instead of tight black rubber suits. Laughing I've only seen 3 episodes of the series, and I didn't get hooked. However, I enjoy Steve Blum in practically every role he takes (except Wolverine).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
And? What didn't you like about it? I happen to like Batman, so I consider that a very favorable comparison, so I'd like to know why you dislike it for that.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
You don't make very many friends here, do you? Crying or Very sad Okay. I suppose we must all be formal, and extremely descriptive with every post.

I never even implied I disliked it because it was similar to Batman Wink. I'm not sure, it may have been the animation. I have specific tastes when it comes to animation. Even when an animation is considered 'great' by Japanese and American standards, I still prefer another kind... I don't know. I love realistic animation (not 3D so much), but it'd depend how it's all done. I never had a problem with Big O, I just never -got- hooked to it. And I can't judge the plot, as I've only seen three episodes.

I probably rewatch the same episode of Dragonball Z every day to admire the animation, and the sheer brilliance of how everything in it lives to inspire. It brings a spiritual vibe, and it evokes some powerful emotion in me. Have you seen the FUNimation dub of Dragonball Z? If you're familiar with it, what do you think of Bruce Faulconer's music? I rewatch the Final Flash "power-up" and execution over and over, to draw inspiration from it. I wish I knew what it was. All the effects in the entire sequence are fascinating; the earthquakes, the high velocity of the clouds, the bolts of electicity from Vegeta powering up, the music... all together just gives me a feeling of euphoria inside. Crying or Very sad Aww, I could go so in-depth about every aspect of the series, and how it's played such a huge role in my life.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
SS_Vegeta wrote:
You don't make very many friends here, do you? Crying or Very sad

Actually, it's my insistence on quality posts that has made me very popular around here.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
Okay. I suppose we must all be formal, and extremely descriptive with every post.

Not formal, but not pathetic and lazy, either. It's not too much to ask that you use your brain.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
I never even implied I disliked it because it was similar to Batman Wink.

When I ask you why you didn't like it, and you say "because it was like Batman with robots," that's making an implication.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
I never had a problem with Big O, I just never -got- hooked to it. And I can't judge the plot, as I've only seen three episodes.

So you're saying you hate a show because you saw about an eighth of it and just weren't dazzled. That's...well, it's something.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
I probably rewatch the same episode of Dragonball Z every day to admire the animation, and the sheer brilliance of how everything in it lives to inspire.

I have to say, you have strange views on what constitutes good animation. You rag on Big O for it, then turn to DBZ as an example of admirable animation. DBZ may have been a good show, but for the most part, it had glaringly average animation. Serviceable for an early-90s television series, but not something to hold as an example of what animation should strive to be.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
If you're familiar with it, what do you think of Bruce Faulconer's music?

I thought it and the extra dialogue helped to ruin Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation against Cell, which was one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. Other than that, I'm ambivalent to it, because it's really no better or worse than the music in the original. FUNimation back in the late 90s could've stood to learn that silence every so often (as opposed to blaring synth music through every second of the show) could heighten the drama, but it wasn't as bad as it's often accused of being.

However, it was no Yoko Kanno or Toshihiko Sahashi score, either.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually, it's my insistence on quality posts that has made me very popular around here.

Fair enough.

Quote:
When I ask you why you didn't like it, and you say "because it was like Batman with robots," that's making an implication.

So you're saying you hate a show because you saw about an eighth of it and just weren't dazzled. That's...well, it's something.

You rag on Big O for it,

You're putting words in my mouth. Smile I never said I "hated" it. And saying "I never got hooked to it" isn't implying I "hate" it, nor is saying "It's the Batman of anime, but with robots." In fact, it means nothing, really. Also, that post wasn't in response to yours, I just thought I'd throw a joke out. Razz

Quote:
I have to say, you have strange views on what constitutes good animation. You rag on Big O for it, then turn to DBZ as an example of admirable animation. DBZ may have been a good show, but for the most part, it had glaringly average animation. Serviceable for an early-90s television series, but not something to hold as an example of what animation should strive to be.

I am going to have to disagree with you here. Dragonball and Dragonball Z were animated in the late '80s and early '90s - Did you see the transition during the Namek/Frieza arc? Did you miss the episodes that followed the final battle between Goku and Frieza? Or anything after that and through the Buu arc?

I don't see the "average" part. You guys set your animation standards too high.. or maybe they're just weird. Dragonball's animation completely wiped the floor with anything Americans could throw together. I thought Dragonball's animation was far greater than any anime of that time, and in ways I think it can be considered better than some animation today. I don't know, maybe it's Toriyama's style? The character stances, facial features, hairstyles, eyes, physiques? I had never seen anything like it before. Dragonball had its own unique style. Anyone can spot the greatness of its animation, though - several animation groups behind the series/movies did phenomenal jobs. Did you see the films?

I will admit, there are several anime now that I think were animated unbelievably. To name a few; Samurai Champloo, (Unfortunately, Bible Black - I saw a few minutes of one episode, and some of the animation was just amazing... for an immoral pornography), Cowboy Bebop.

Quote:
I thought it and the extra dialogue helped to ruin Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation against Cell, which was one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. Other than that, I'm ambivalent to it, because it's really no better or worse than the music in the original. FUNimation back in the late 90s could've stood to learn that silence every so often (as opposed to blaring synth music through every second of the show) could heighten the drama, but it wasn't as bad as it's often accused of being.

This is what most people say who prefer the Japanese version. Personally, I think they can both be enjoyable. During the Japanese, I thought there were parts that deserved music, and in the FUNimation version, I thought there were parts that didn't deserve music. It's really a tough call for me; I love both versions for their own unique qualities.

Wait a second, you got a bachelor's in animation? 2D animation? I am appalled at the fact you think Dragonball Z's animation is mediocre. Hell, Dragonball's the reason I decided to learn animation. But okay, I suppose we are inspired by different things.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
SS_Vegeta wrote:
I don't see the "average" part. You guys set your animation standards too high.. or maybe they're just weird. Dragonball's animation completely wiped the floor with anything Americans could throw together.

For the most part, the Dragon Ball franchise sported very choppy animation, with a lot of odd deformations in the characters occurring at random moments (what's called "off-model" animation, which is a very bad thing to have happen). I remember several moments where a character falling out of the sky just...floats there like there's no gravity (the dead Namek that Freezer kills at the Elder's place, for example), and a lot of the fight scenes were just a couple punches looped endlessly, and then cut and pasted all over the screen as if the characters were zipping all over the place while throwing these same two endless punches. Some scenes were impressive (Goku against Majin Vegeta, for example, and some of the movies), but the vast majority of it was average work utilizing a lot of stock footage and some very rushed animators incapable of really going back and fixing bad work when it cropped up.

And claiming the animation is better than what American studios were doing is a very stupid thing to say, given that the early 90s were the time of some of Disney's best productions, animation-wise, like The Lion King and The Rescuers Down Under, and TV animation saw things like the Batman Animated Series and The Simpsons at its prime (yes, Simpsons uses simplistic character designs, but when working on a TV budget, simple designs are preferred so that more workflow goes into actually making smooth, even animation).

SS_Vegeta wrote:
I don't know, maybe it's Toriyama's style? The character stances, facial features, hairstyles, eyes, physiques? I had never seen anything like it before.

I think you're confusing character design for actual animation. Design is how it looks, animation is how well it moves. The two go hand in hand, but are not the same thing.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
Dragonball had its own unique style.

Except for the fact that it also appeared in other Toriyama works, like Dr. Slump, the Tobal series, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, Sand Land, etc.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
To name a few; Samurai Champloo, ... Cowboy Bebop.

Now we're getting somewhere. Smooth, consistent, convincing animation that's capable of suspending disbelief.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
Wait a second, you got a bachelor's in animation? 2D animation? I am appalled at the fact you think Dragonball Z's animation is mediocre. Hell, Dragonball's the reason I decided to learn animation.

If you're serious about going to college for animation, then you'll learn soon enough. DBZ's not a bad show, but it's not one to be celebrated for its "quality" animation, either. The show's responsible in part for getting me into animation as a career as well, but I'm not going to make excuses and lie to myself that it's some pinnacle of high-quality animation now that I know better.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I think you're taking a lot of what I say too literally.

Quote:
For the most part, the Dragon Ball franchise sported very choppy animation, with a lot of odd deformations in the characters occurring at random moments (what's called "off-model" animation, which is a very bad thing to have happen). I remember several moments where a character falling out of the sky just...floats there like there's no gravity (the dead Namek that Freezer kills at the Elder's place, for example), and a lot of the fight scenes were just a couple punches looped endlessly, and then cut and pasted all over the screen as if the characters were zipping all over the place while throwing these same two endless punches. Some scenes were impressive (Goku against Majin Vegeta, for example, and some of the movies), but the vast majority of it was average work utilizing a lot of stock footage and some very rushed animators incapable of really going back and fixing bad work when it cropped up.

Well you're pointing out minor flaws in an animation that appeared in the early '90s, and was also a 500+ episode series.

I'm not sure why you're only referring to the "bad" animators. Everyone knows there were at least 50-80 episodes drawn by people who really lacked any sort of talent with animation, however those animators were still better than any of the American artists who did those early shows, like Batman. A few poorly animated episodes doesn't justify the quality of the whole series.

Re-using frames was very common back then. Again, I don't think it's a problem; realistically, in a film, if a particular event is reshown in the same setting and fashion, it wouldn't look at all that much different. So I don't see why this is something to complain too much about, as it was released in the early '90s, and was a difficult project to take on at the time.

The animation of Goku vs. Majin Vegeta, during most of the episodes was spectacular. Animation's supposed to be viewed in its own special light; for the style they were aiming for with Dragonball Z, they succeeded.

Did you see the episodes where Vegeta was training the gravity chamber, pre-Android saga? Later, Vegeta referred back to a point he was training, and the animation was just amazing...in my opinion.

Quote:
And claiming the animation is better than what American studios were doing is a very stupid thing to say, given that the early 90s were the time of some of Disney's best productions, animation-wise, like The Lion King and The Rescuers Down Under, and TV animation saw things like the Batman Animated Series and The Simpsons at its prime (yes, Simpsons uses simplistic character designs, but when working on a TV budget, simple designs are preferred so that more workflow goes into actually making smooth, even animation).

I'll admit, Disney did some amazing films. I would've referred to Lion King, but I also would've considered Pocahontas. I'm ignoring The Simpsons, but if you actually considered the animation in Batman to be "good" I'm very curious to why you're even interested in Japanese animation. But honestly, I really don't see how American cartoons can compare, unless they're 3-Dimensional.

Quote:
I think you're confusing character design for actual animation. Design is how it looks, animation is how well it moves. The two go hand in hand, but are not the same thing.

Except for the fact that it also appeared in other Toriyama works, like Dr. Slump, the Tobal series, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, Sand Land, etc

I think you're taking everything too literal. If I'd mentioned Toriyama's style I would most likely be referring to the style of drawing, and not the animation. And you've basically pointed out the two go hand in hand, and that's the reason I find it interesting.

Quote:
To name a few; Samurai Champloo, ... Cowboy Bebop.

Now we're getting somewhere. Smooth, consistent, convincing animation that's capable of suspending disbelief.

Animation is always interesting. Those two animations delivered in the "realistic" aspect, as well being 'original', with the traditional Japanese artstyle. I only expect it to get better, and sooner or later I expect 3D to take over. I don't see how much further they can go, though, most anime I've seen just seem to be minor variations of other anime, in terms of drawing styles, characters, and plot. I like Dragonball because it was different to most anime, and all American cartoons.

Quote:

If you're serious about going to college for animation, then you'll learn soon enough.

Are you suggesting there isn't a 3D course? Heh.

Quote:
DBZ's not a bad show, but it's not one to be celebrated for its "quality" animation, either. The show's responsible in part for getting me into animation as a career as well, but I'm not going to make excuses and lie to myself that it's some pinnacle of high-quality animation now that I know better.

I think you're a little confused as to why I like Dragonball's animation. It's all relative, really; body proportions, stances, facial structure, hairstyles.

That, in conjunction with some of Japan's greatest animators, is what really moved me. Where you not only have brilliant Japanese animation, you have animation in association with Toriyama's style; fascinating plot elements, plenty of charismatic characters, ingenius martial arts battles in association with 'chi' energy, moral / heroic symbols, and pretty eye-candy.

You think that I am "admiring" the animation for its realism. It's in no way realistic. It's just different. However, there are a few episodes in there where the animation can be considered realistic, or close to it; ironically the near end of Goku and Majin Vegeta's battle, on the surface.

Television series cartoons are relatively low budget compared to films. You know what Dragonball would look like as an American cartoon, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 122